Apple job opening points to deeper Apple Music integration with Siri

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2015
An Apple job opening posted on Friday suggests that the company is looking to expand links between Siri and Apple Music, presumably in the form of new voice commands.

The listing, discovered by AppleInsider, calls for a Siri software engineer with a general interest in music. The person is expected to "help extend Siri's integration with Apple Music," primarily by "designing and implementing natural language interactions and work flow."

Candidates are required to have a bachelor's or master's degree in computer science, and five years of industry experience.

Siri integration is one of several features that distinguish Apple Music from services like Rdio and Spotify. A number of voice commands are already built in, covering not just basic playback options but some that involve contextual cues and/or information from separate databases. Siri will prioritize popular albums when given common search terms, for instance, and can discover which song topped charts on a given day, month, or year.

Whether or not they're already underway, new commands will likely have to wait until 2016, given a full slate of improvements coming this fall. iOS 9 will give Apple Music a redesigned graphical interface, and the service should appear on Android and the Apple TV for the first time. Indeed a new Apple TV model with Siri support is anticipated next month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    "iOS 9 will give Apple Music a redesigned graphical user interface."

Wow... the current GUI has been out for only 3 months. I guess the feedback was so negative that they're already changing it? I wonder how dramatic the changes will be.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Yeah it needs work. It's kind of a mess. I'm amazed it was released as clunky as it is.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    So where is the ability to choose an alternate to SIRI such as Google Now or Cortana on the iPhone, of wait that will NEVER happen. Fortunately I just use the Google app for my queries. I have tried side by side comparisons and frankly as most will agree SIRI sucks, it fails time and again at getting the data right.

SIRI did so much more when it was originally launched offered as an app outside of iOS and when Apple bought it they ruined it completely. As for Apple Music, it's crap, tried it and stopped it very soon after.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    raptoroo7 wrote: »
    So where is the ability to choose an alternate to SIRI such as Google Now or Cortana on the iPhone, of wait that will NEVER happen. Fortunately I just use the Google app for my queries. I have tried side by side comparisons and frankly as most will agree SIRI sucks, it fails time and again at getting the data right.

SIRI did so much more when it was originally launched offered as an app outside of iOS and when Apple bought it they ruined it completely. As for Apple Music, it's crap, tried it and stopped it very soon after.

I know a person with a Windows Phone and they say Cortana sucks.