Apple CEO Tim Cook could face SEC scrutiny for violating fair disclosure regulation

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    jonljonl Posts: 210member

How does the SEC feel about analysts and liars in the media and their private sources? At least Tim was going to be telling the truth, and Cramer was going to immediately publicize it.

• Reply 22 of 76
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    "CNBC analyst" = paid media schill. Nothing private about anything Cook said. Nothing he said has any material basis anyway (no financial figures).
  • Reply 23 of 76
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sinus tree View Post

Tim was ill advised to make those comments, especially when not asked. As for the idiots / experts who use gossip to manipulate stock, they don't work for the companies never mind run them so it is a take it or leave it thing with them.

And we know he/Apple was not asked how?

I thought so.

• Reply 24 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Hey SEC???  What about going after Cramer after publicly admitting he would put out false Apple reports to manipulate AAPL??  Well??

If I remember correctly, many publications used a supportive tone when they wrote about Cramer's admittance. I do not remember any publication stating Cramer would face the wrath of the SEC. I do remember people responding that Cramer should face an SEC investigation. Nothing ever came of it though. My guess the SEC silence was due to the SEC knowing Cramer would not hesitate to drop names of the many people on Wall Street and in Washington, D.C. who are benefitting from the manipulations of Apple and other stocks with  the SEC choosing to do nothing. 

• Reply 25 of 76
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

No. I think the issue is that you are giving one person a heads up before giving the public at large the same heads up. 

Tim sent the email to a news organization which obviously was going to make it public immediately. Cramer does not trade anymore. All his investments are in a foundation because he does not want to appear to have a conflict of interest when he expresses his opinion on the show regarding specific stocks.

• Reply 26 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

hmm...So Tim had RSU's scheduled to vest today? Maybe not such a good day to respond from an optics perspective?

CNMV6srWEAAp6kY.jpg

The vesting is based on relative performance, not absolute performance. Also, it is based on two- (and soon, three-) year performance periods. In other words, for August 24, 2015, it would be based on the TSR (total shareholder returns: capital gains + dividends) from August 23, 2013.

The stock has done very well. The stock was selling for $71 then. In other words, it would have vested anyway.

• Reply 27 of 76
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Today was a crazy day in the market. I had my best day ever!

I picked up a bunch of NFLX at around 94 and sold 'em all at almost 109! That's insane! That's the best day trade I've ever made in the few years since I began messing with the market.

Things were crazy this morning, I couldn't even log on to scottrade. I later heard that there was some sort of outage. They must've been getting slammed.

As for AAPL, I didn't mess with that today, but I'm still holding some from before that's a little underwater, but I'm not worried about AAPL at all. It'll be back to highs again soon enough.:smokey:

• Reply 28 of 76

THE FIRST PARAGRAPH in Tim Cook's email to Jim Cramer... "As you know, we don't give mid-quarter updates and we rarely comment on moves in Apple stock. But I know your question is on the minds of many investors."

To me, I see this as Cramer asking Tim a question and Tim choosing to respond to it knowing Cramer would make the response public.

Still, this is Apple. I doubt any U.S. governmental agency will let an opportunity to get some of Apple's $200+ billion pass them by. Most definitely look for the SEC to investigate then fine Apple and possibly Tim Cook for this disclosure.

• Reply 29 of 76
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

Right..... Apple has NO LEGAL TEAM.... man, they're really reaching....

• Reply 30 of 76
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Today was a crazy day in the market. I had my best day ever!

I picked up a bunch of NFLX at around 94 and sold 'em all at almost 109! That's insane! That's the best day trade I've ever made in the few years since I began messing with the market.

Things were crazy this morning, I couldn't even log on to scottrade. I later heard that there was some sort of outage. They must've been getting slammed.

As for AAPL, I didn't mess with that today, but I'm still holding some from before that's a little underwater, but I'm not worried about AAPL at all. It'll be back to highs again soon enough.:smokey:

Not that you need to explain yourself, but presumably your buy was very large if you consider it your best trade?

• Reply 31 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

No. I think the issue is that you are giving one person a heads up before giving the public at large the same heads up. Next time Apple may want to publish the email in the Apple PR section of their web site simultaneously with sending the message to Cramer. The sad thing is I just saw a news article claiming that the release was a desperate act to shore up the stock price to keep people from leaving Apple. The same site also bashed Apple when they didn't issue such statements so it is darned if you do and darned if you don't.

If Cramer didn't trade on it, or gave it to someone who traded on it, it doesn't matter. What matters is that the public can all get the info at the same time (in theory), in practice obviously even public info not instantly known by everyone of the public at the same time. This non earning call info is particularly subject to this since people wouldn't be expecting it so they're not paying attention.

This is were some whinning occurs from people who somehow didn't have the info at the exact same time as others, or couldn't act on it (because the channel they used had some delay or didn't have it), they were gone fishing or they were taking a dump. That's their fault, not Apple's fault.

I got the feeling that people that were driving Apple down like mad on false info and rumors are the ones whining that they f-ud narrative has been broken.

• Reply 32 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Not that you need to explain yourself, but presumably your buy was very large if you consider it your best trade?

It was only in the hundreds of shares, not thousands, so it wasn't huge or anything like that, and it's probably peanuts compared to what others trade, but it was definitely my best 1 day trade ever. I never had a stock go from 94 to 109 in the matter of a few hours before, and I've never earned more in 1 single day trade than what I did with NFLX today, so I'm pretty happy about that. 

• Reply 33 of 76
    He DID disclose it publicly!!!

So stupid.

He notified THE NEWS!

Lol

Everyone wanting to find fault with Apple simply because they are so successful.
  • Reply 34 of 76
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It was only in the hundreds of shares, not thousands, so it wasn't huge or anything like that, and it's probably peanuts compared to what others trade, but it was definitely my best 1 day trade ever. I never had a stock go from 94 to 109 in the matter of a few hours before, and I've never earned more in 1 single day trade than what I did with NFLX today, so I'm pretty happy about that. 

Congratulations.

• Reply 35 of 76
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Looking forward to listening how people ‘got out’ the day before. I heard this a lot from amateur investor friends of mine in 2008. They all ‘got out’ the day before the crash. I just nodded my head and smiled. Later I heard that some of them decided to ‘downsize’ their lifestyles. I know it wasn’t because of financial losses because all of them had told me they ‘got out’ the day before. They were absolute investing geniuses I guess. Yessiree,  investing geniuses every one of them.

• Reply 36 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Congratulations.

Thanks. I'm sure glad that I dumped them all right at the highs of the day. I see that NFLX is around 96-97 now. 

• Reply 37 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

nice timing.

I tried to buy Apple at $95 today but Scottrade crashed

Thanks. I'm on scottrade too, and yeah, it was very slow this morning, unusable. It took me ages just to make one trade. I was worried that when I placed a market order, the price would increase or decrease by many dollars by the time that the trade executed, since it was taking so long to confirm the trade.

• Reply 38 of 76
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I'll be anxious at 6:30 PM Pacific to see how the Shanghai market opens.

• Reply 39 of 76
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,920member
    Tim didn't say anything against SEC regulations but same info he could have said in public 2 minutes on TV as public info. SEC will tell Tim, next time be careful.
  • Reply 40 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'll be anxious at 6:30 PM Pacific to see how the Shanghai market opens.

I'm going to call it stupendously bad; but, there should be some reversing by mid week. When you got Apple at PE... 6 (with cash), it"s not really a risk to buy it no matter what the idiots think will happen.