Apple, Best Buy alliance grows with more Apple Watch locations, expanded in-store service

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I am waiting for our regulars in the anti-Watch-brigade to show up in force and address this obvious misstatement.

Hello? Hello? Anybody home?

Nah, they'll be to busy pimping the Gear 2. Samsung posted a photo on Instagram and The Verge things it looks really good. Because you know it's round, and the tech press among others have decided round is just better because you know, round.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Nah, they'll be to busy pimping the Gear 2. Samsung posted a photo on Instagram and The Verge things it looks really good. Because you know it's round, and the tech press among others have decided round is just better because you know, round.

I think that Instagram pic looks good. If that was what Apple came out with last year with a completely round display, OLED, and a bezel dial I think I'd like this. I'm not too found of the UI teaser video I saw.

That said, round is obviously not the best option for an interactive display on your wrist but does a cultural appeal with translates into style and fashion interests due to our long history with the traditional wristwatch. That may stay around as a niche but the wearable market will excel with the proper I/O being used, not one that mirrors something "old school."

The bezel dial I like, but the look isn't nearly as nice or as refined as Apple Watch's curved sapphire display look. I don't think any other smartwatch on the market is using anything that slick.

How many HW options will there be? I see one option, metal, with two different band colors, and maybe two different metal colours. Apple has over 40(?) different options. If Samsung really cares about style (see previous comment about a round face) then they need more than the standard pre-Apple Watch looks.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    They did not have 20 iPhones on display. No Best Buy has 20 iPhones on display.

source? are you in BB's planogram dept?
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I take it you're enjoying your Watch... (I vaguely -- hope not wrongly -- recall that you were not an early fan!).

;) 

• Reply 25 of 34
    Is that a recent photograph? It looks like the old black MacBook on the table and the iMacs looks a bit thick.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

I contacted Apple about the small Best Buy presence there and the huge Sammy section in the same stores.

What we need fixed badly is the Wal Mart displays!!

My local Wal Marts have UGLY plastic cut outs that say "iPhone" in ridged font and display iPhone 4/4s.

I need to ask Siri to remind me to snap a photo to send to Tim Cook. This is not acceptable.

The Walmart Apple displays I've seen are so sad. Weirdly, the electronics section is always the section most in disarray. Way more than any of the food aisles. 

• Reply 27 of 34
    Yea, but Best Buy still will not accept Applepay
  • Reply 28 of 34
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I think that Instagram pic looks good. If that was what Apple came out with last year with a completely round display, OLED, and a bezel dial I think I'd like this. I'm not too found of the UI teaser video I saw.

That said, round is obviously not the best option for an interactive display on your wrist but does a cultural appeal with translates into style and fashion interests due to our long history with the traditional wristwatch. That may stay around as a niche but the wearable market will excel with the proper I/O being used, not one that mirrors something "old school."

The bezel dial I like, but the look isn't nearly as nice or as refined as Apple Watch's curved sapphire display look. I don't think any other smartwatch on the market is using anything that slick.

How many HW options will there be? I see one option, metal, with two different band colors, and maybe two different metal colours. Apple has over 40(?) different options. If Samsung really cares about style (see previous comment about a round face) then they need more than the standard pre-Apple Watch looks.

Looks meh to me. Sure it's round but it doesn't remind me of a higher end mechanical watch. A few weeks back I read a piece on ?Watch from someone who went to Switzerland to ask high end watch makers about it. They talked to the workers actually making these products not the CEOs or other high ups in the companies. What I came away with after reading the piece is they had a lot of respect and praise for the craftsmanship of the ?Watch (especially the gold) and they respected the fact Apple didn't just copy a mechanical watch. And that's what I think whenever I see a round Android OEM watch, it's just a poor imitation of a mechanical watch and looks really stupid outside of computer generated PR shots when you see the really bright screen and/or something on the screen besides a faux analog watch face.

Case in point:

Huawei-Watch-hands-on.jpg
  • Reply 29 of 34
    [SIZE=14px]I take it you're enjoying your Watch... <span style="line-height:1.4em;">(I vaguely -- hope not wrongly -- recall that you were not an early fan!).</span>
    [/SIZE]
    ;)  

I was never anti ?Watch. I just wasn't completely sure I wanted one until I listened to an iMore podcast where the hosts talked about how they were liking their ?Watches several months in. Most of their comments were very positive. That flipped me to the other side and I ordered one up a few days later.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Sure it's round but it doesn't remind me of a higher end mechanical watch...And that's what I think whenever I see a round Android OEM watch, it's just a poor imitation of a mechanical watch and looks really stupid outside of computer generated PR shots when you see the really bright screen and/or something on the screen besides a faux analog watch face.

Who says a round watch is supposed to remind you of a higher end mechanical watch? It's just a different shape for crying out loud. What is a square mechanical watch supposed to remind you of? 

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but using a poorly lit photograph to illustrate your point demonstrates your obvious unapologetic bias. I've seen numerous smartwatches in public, and depending on the light, the backlit display is either clearly visible or it's not -- including the ?Watch. By the way, I can take a photograph of any backlit device and have the screen blown out like this depending on the lighting settings of the camera used. A photo is not real life. And last I checked, the watch face is not meant for public consumption anyway since the watch face is illuminated briefly and usually for the exclusive use of the wearer whom it is facing. These photos are posed, the activation switch pressed just before the shots were taken. No causal observer will likely ever see a smartwatch like this, except for the fleeting instance when it drops to the wearer's side after checking the display. Most are black featureless slabs of glass most of the time. So your use of this photo is completely misleading and irrelevant to proving your point.

• Reply 31 of 34
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    rogifan wrote: »
    What is a square mechanical watch supposed to remind you of?

That round mechanical watches are so much better looking.

But that's a moot point, because the situation with smartwatches isn't about merely looking at the watch face, but also interacting with it and having its contents alter in an infinite number of ways to meet whatever needs the user wants. This makes the smartwatch an inherently different device the way a notebook and pen is different from a "PC" running a word processing program.

If you want to use your previous shape argument let look at the common paper size for writing; it's 8.5"×11", yet very few computers have ever used a much taller display than it is wide. Why, when it would have been much easier to follow that paradigm, especially before the Mac and Lisa when it was just text, no GUI. My first thought is that they considered the medium and then thought about how to best utilize that medium, not merely copy an old one to pretend it's something it's not. of course, the notebook didn't have the same clout or fashion tie-ins as the traditional watch does today so there was little reason to appeal to such vanity.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Quote:

I was never anti ?Watch. I just wasn't completely sure I wanted one until I listened to an iMore podcast where the hosts talked about how they were liking their ?Watches several months in. Most of their comments were very positive. That flipped me to the other side and I ordered one up a few days later.

Ah, apologies then.

• Reply 33 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmessick View Post

Yea, but Best Buy still will not accept Applepay

https://corporate.bestbuy.com/apple-pay-now-accepted-in-best-buy-app-coming-to-stores-later-this-year/