Universal unveils official poster for upcoming Steve Jobs movie

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2015
As the release of the Aaron Sorkin-penned Steve Jobs movie grows closer, the Hollywood marketing machine has begun to churn faster and Wednesday's rotation brought the release of the official promotional poster.

The almost entirely grayscale poster shows Michael Fassbender as Steve Jobs, with head bowed in thought. Fassbender's photo is surprisingly small, and aligned in the lower right.

Jobs's name takes center stage, set in black slightly larger than and below the film's cast and above director Danny Boyle and screenwriter Aaron Sorkin. All of the text appears to be set in Helvetica.

The lone spot of color on the poster is the release date, which is listed simply as "coming soon." In the U.S., the film's debut is scheduled for Oct. 9.

Alongside Fassbender as Jobs, Seth Rogen plays Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak, while Jeff Daniels portrays former Apple chief John Sculley and Oscar winner Kate Winslet acts as former Mac marketing chief Joanna Hoffman.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    [right]meh. really?|[/right]
  • Reply 2 of 15
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

meh. really?|

He seems to be trying so hard to "think different".

• Reply 4 of 15
    Hope the movie will be as good as Trainspotting

Stay hungry, Stay foolish, Chose life.
  • Reply 5 of 15

I think this movie is going to do well.

Speaking for myself, I can't wait to watch it. I am sure some of it will p*** me off, but still...

• Reply 6 of 15
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    Excellent poster, crafted and considered.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy View Post

http://www.27bslash6.com/missy.html

So what?

http://bit.ly/1EkSozA

• Reply 8 of 15
    boredumb wrote: »

meh. really?|
    He seems to be trying so hard to "think different".

As small as Fassbender's image is in that poster, he lacks even the silhouette of Steve Jobs... Can he even sound like Steve???

Is Fassbender that poor of an actor, or is Steve Jobs that hard to portray...?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Should have been set in Myriad.

• Reply 10 of 15
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

As small as Fassbender's image is in that poster, he lacks even the silhouette of Steve Jobs... Can he even sound like Steve???

Is Fassbender that poor of an actor, or is Steve Jobs that hard to portray...?

Fassbender is a pretty good actor. So, I'm seeing it for that reason alone.

I see it as a theater play where you don't really care if the King in medieval England is black.

• Reply 11 of 15
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Can we please let the guy rest in peace. 

• Reply 12 of 15
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Fassbender is a pretty good actor. So, I'm seeing it for that reason alone.
    I see it as a theater play where you don't really care if the King in medieval England is black.

According to an interview of the actor Michael Stuhlbarg who plays Andy Hertzfeld, the actors spent two weeks rehearsing each act before shooting the act and then doing the same thing for the other acts, which gives the whole thing a theatre play-like experience.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Direct middle offset right aligned text?

It's 2015. No golden ratio? The Jobs pic actually fits within a golden grid area on the page as a whole. But not in relation or harmony with the other elements. This one is a fail.

And if they were going for an older Apple style, they'd have centered it with a serif font. So no excuses.

This poster is minimalist. But not in a good way. Nor in an Apple way.

Too much wrong. While trying to be chic, it just looks like an art project someone did in high school while learning the minimalist design theme.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Guess the caps key was broke...

• Reply 15 of 15
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    I wish people would get over the appearance. No, Fassbender doesn't look like Jobs. News flash: almost no historical figures look like good actors without heavy prosthetics. It doesn't stop good actors from accurately capturing the person's essence/presence: Jaime Foxx looks nothign like Ray Charles past skin color, and Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon are not even close to looking like Johnny Cash and June Carter. Doesn't matter, and the people who make hay out of this are revealing both their superficiality and their closemindedness.

I have no idea if the movie is good or terrible, accurate or fanciful, well-done or poorly-made. What I do know is that the fact that Johnny Depp looked nothing like either Hunter S. Thompson or Ed Wood did not stop me from thoroughly enjoying both Fear and Loathing and Ed Wood.