Apple, 161 other organizations lend aid to Pentagon on flexible electronics

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You fail to see often.

Enlighten me, then, because you’re completely wrong here. If you had relatives killed by the IRA or UDF, that’d be a disclaimer to throw in which would explain to people why you might believe what you do.

Honestly, even once (not if) we have a laser-based defense shield that can stop 100% of all incoming projectiles, I still won’t call for a reduction in the size of the military. I call now for pulling them and all our hardware back from all our bases, selling the land back to the respective countries, and letting the rest of the world destroy itself without our intervention, but I don’t call for a reduction in the size of the military. We can sell our last-gen tech to everyone and make a bundle.

• Reply 22 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Participating in a project whose total dollars is less than a rounding error in their cash position alone isn't going to have any such affect on Apple. $71 million over FIVE years? Yeah Apple is going to be totally controlled when that sort of cash is on the line (and spread over 161 other companies at that).... My god that probably equates to almost a week of earbud sales! 

Then why do it? What's the real tradeoff? What's the benefit?

• Reply 23 of 41
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    inb4 "Apple is in bed with the military-industrial complex" comments.

Oh wait....
  • Reply 24 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

inb4 "Apple is in bed with the military-industrial complex" comments.

(snip)

Are you saying there's no military-industrial complex? Or are you denying Apple's participation?

• Reply 25 of 41
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Are you saying there's no military-industrial complex? Or are you denying Apple's participation?

I'm saying the arguments *for* are specious and tiresome. 

It won't delay any iPhone rollout any more than before. 

• Reply 26 of 41
    Quote:

Then why do it? What's the real tradeoff? What's the benefit?

Awesomeness! According to Patently Apple, Apple's iPad have been used extensively by the Israeli Military... http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2015/08/the-israeli-military-uses-apple-ipads-extensively-on-the-battlefield.html. My guess is Apple learned a great deal of information about...

. How iPads can be used to send/receive unbreakable encrypted communications via satellites

. Strengthening iPads for combat use to prevent/lessen EMF disruption

. How to display accurate map data and other data in day light, night light, sand, heat and other extreme conditions

. How to completely, absolutely wipe a compromised iPad clean

. Permanently disabling a compromised iPad from ever being used again

. How to display data on a small screen

. How the weights of the iPads used affect the performance of military personnel

. Battery, memory usage

. Bluetooth data sharing

. And much more

Think about the companies Apple has purchased and Apple patents that been awarded and/or published and you can see that a great deal of the futuristic, military technology we have come to admire in the consumer space via movies  and television will be brought to life by Apple. I am looking forward to the Iron Man holographic technology to arrive with iPhones, iPads, iPod touches and... Apple TVs.

As for wearables, the rumor about Apple developing wrist bands filled with health-related sensors to support the Apple Watch is not fully on target in my opinion. I am guessing the wrist bands will accelerometers and gyroscopes that will send data to i-Devices to interact with holographic technology built into the i-Devices.

Another benefit with getting closer with the Pentagon is US courts will be less prone to allow Samsung to get away with slavishly copying Apple technology then use the US court systems to prevent Apple from suing them out of existence. Don't believe me? When was the last time you read that any company in the world copied a Lockheed product, made billions of US dollars from the stolen product designs and the US court systems sided with the infringing company against Lockheed? This does not mean Apple can be evil and be granted immunity. This just means companies will not be able to easily steal Apple's ideas and get away with the theft.

• Reply 27 of 41
    Getting involved in government contracts is one more step to being politically controlled, infiltrated and manipulated for government purposes.
    My first inclination is to agree, except that I've seen positive results from a similar situation. I work for a technology company whose first client was the CIA, but much of our government-funded work in security has spilled back into the private sector to help companies protect things we all care about: health records, financial data, etc.

I could see similar benefits to Apple and its consumer customers, where technology originally developed for the military finds civilian uses in Apple Car, Home Kit, etc.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,010member
    ireland wrote: »
    Who's pretending anything. We need to grow up as a race and stop killing one another. This isn't about preventing killing, that's impossible. This is about leading by example. We're behaving like humans from any time in history. We need to spiritually evolve and grow out of these caveman like impulses. You're thinking is all wrong and part of the problem.

What are you taking about? What example? Like the brilliant example Obama just defecated on the American people with his Iran negotiations?

What would you like the U.S. do in regards to our military? Remain stagnant? Shrink? Eliminate the military and sing kumbaya?

There are and will always be severely deranged leaders of dangerous nations, and violent groups or individuals at all levels of society. There is no cure or placating. So as much as everyone detests conflicts, tell us what magical series of events will give rise to world peace?
  • Reply 29 of 41
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    ? Armed Forces

Actually, I admit I'm a bit disappointed with their involvement in this. Their focus should remain on the greater public. Getting involved in government contracts is one more step to being politically controlled, infiltrated and manipulated for government purposes. Apple's only involvement in political matters should be a necessary increase in their lobbying to protect them from all of the snakes passing the laws.

Well, the military always get the best toys before everyone else, so by Apple being involved they can take advantage of getting new technological innovations ahead of most companies and they get to make some money.
  • Reply 30 of 41

Yeah, I wish it was as simple as we think it is. There are men & women who spend their lives pursuing the new world order. They are powerful and have been working on it for many generations.

We are shown a very small picture as it happens and it is hard to step back and see the whole deal. The USA will never just take care of the the USA. We are indeed the police of the world. Get used to it. Nothing to do with oil. Has everything to do with control of fiat currency.

Apple Inc. is a part of the world order. Really not a conspiracy. It is just what is happening.

• Reply 31 of 41
    idrey wrote: »
    Well, the military always get the best toys before everyone else, so by Apple being involved they can take advantage of getting new technological innovations ahead of most companies and they get to make some money.

Just my opinion, but Apple's minimal financial windfall relative to potentially negative press (especially overseas) and risk of political infiltration and influence over the company looks to me like a bad trade.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,345member
    Quote:

Just my opinion, but Apple's minimal financial windfall relative to potentially negative press (especially overseas) and risk of political infiltration and influence over the company looks to me like a bad trade.

Since the founding of the United States, the military has funded academia and private enterprise to develop new technology. In doing so, many technologies are brought to market much sooner than would have otherwise occurred and provide the basis for new industries. It's a long list.

I'm not seeing why Apple being part of a flexible electronics alliance is a negative for a consumer electronics company. The technology won't advance spying on either Americans or foreigners all that much, and certainly not over what is all ready voluntarily given by the bulk of our population. I'm a bit surprised that Google isn't a part of this particular alliance, though they may be participating in one of the other alliances more closely aligned with software or robotics.

• Reply 33 of 41
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,345member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

Awesomeness! According to Patently Apple, Apple's iPad have been used extensively by the Israeli Military... http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2015/08/the-israeli-military-uses-apple-ipads-extensively-on-the-battlefield.html. My guess is Apple learned a great deal of information about...

. How iPads can be used to send/receive unbreakable encrypted communications via satellites

. Strengthening iPads for combat use to prevent/lessen EMF disruption

. How to display accurate map data and other data in day light, night light, sand, heat and other extreme conditions

. How to completely, absolutely wipe a compromised iPad clean

. Permanently disabling a compromised iPad from ever being used again

. How to display data on a small screen

. How the weights of the iPads used affect the performance of military personnel

. Battery, memory usage

. Bluetooth data sharing

. And much more

Think about the companies Apple has purchased and Apple patents that been awarded and/or published and you can see that a great deal of the futuristic, military technology we have come to admire in the consumer space via movies  and television will be brought to life by Apple. I am looking forward to the Iron Man holographic technology to arrive with iPhones, iPads, iPod touches and... Apple TVs.

As for wearables, the rumor about Apple developing wrist bands filled with health-related sensors to support the Apple Watch is not fully on target in my opinion. I am guessing the wrist bands will accelerometers and gyroscopes that will send data to i-Devices to interact with holographic technology built into the i-Devices.

Another benefit with getting closer with the Pentagon is US courts will be less prone to allow Samsung to get away with slavishly copying Apple technology then use the US court systems to prevent Apple from suing them out of existence. Don't believe me? When was the last time you read that any company in the world copied a Lockheed product, made billions of US dollars from the stolen product designs and the US court systems sided with the infringing company against Lockheed? This does not mean Apple can be evil and be granted immunity. This just means companies will not be able to easily steal Apple's ideas and get away with the theft.

WRT the F-35, my reading was that not only were they (the Chinese) able to obtain some or all of the design data, but they were also able to obtain the Block 2 upgrades.

• Reply 34 of 41
    tmay wrote: »
    WRT the F-35, my reading was that not only were they (the Chinese) able to obtain some or all of the design data, but they were also able to obtain the Block 2 upgrades.

I remember reading something like that. I do not recall the Chinese government being brought to trial in the U.S. court system. Samsung is a different matter altogether.
  • Reply 35 of 41

PETMAN with Apple wearable tech will be the soldier of the future.

I for one welcome our future robot soldier overlords.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/12/16/google-investing-heavily-in-advanced-robotics-buys-renowned-military-contractor

• Reply 36 of 41
    techlover wrote: »
    PETMAN with Apple wearable tech will be the soldier of the future.

I for one welcome our future robot soldier overlords.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/12/16/google-investing-heavily-in-advanced-robotics-buys-renowned-military-contractor

Andy Rubin (the guy who led Android development at Google) was also the guy who was leading the Google robotics efforts. He already left Google. Not exactly breaking news at this point, but Boston Dynamics (one of many robotics companies Google acquired) has continued to make rapid advances in their robot tech.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Andy Rubin (the guy who led Android development at Google) was also the guy who was leading the Google robotics efforts. He already left Google. Not exactly breaking news at this point, but Boston Dynamics (one of many robotics companies Google acquired) has continued to make rapid advances in their robot tech.
    I think I remember reading that since Google purchased Boston Dynamics they declined to renew some military contracts. Another of Google's robotics companies, Schaft (LOL, wait for it) is also rejecting military research funding. That would be a good thing to come out of it IMO.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I think I remember reading that since Google purchased Boston Dynamics they declined to renew the military contract. That would be a good thing to come out of it IMO.

That's correct. As I understand it, once their current military contracts lapse they won't be renewed. I do wonder what robotics project Rubin is working on now, away from Google.

According to Wikipedia there is a very vague description of his current status: "On 30 October 2014 he left Google after nine years at the company to start an incubator for hardware startups."
  • Reply 39 of 41
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I think I remember reading that since Google purchased Boston Dynamics they declined to renew the military contract. That would be a good thing to come out of it IMO.

That's correct. As I understand it, once their current military contracts lapse they won't be renewed. I do wonder what robotics project Rubin is working on now, away from Google.

According to Wikipedia there is a very vague description of his current status: "On 30 October 2014 he left Google after nine years at the company to start an incubator for hardware startups."

There is not much out there about Rubin but I did find this:

http://recode.net/2015/08/26/father-of-android-andy-rubin-joins-lineup-for-octobers-codemobile/

• Reply 40 of 41
    techlover wrote: »

Seems to me he's lost his focus.