Judge bars Apple, Samsung from further filings after rapid-fire case entries

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    News flash, most people didn't even hear about this trail and could care less about its outcome or ongoing bickering. Samsung's defeat did nothing from re-imagining their phones to not look anything like the iPhone. Even if Sammy get's away with paying $1 to Apple it does not change the fact that they lost and were found guilty of ripping off the iPhone design.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sinus tree View Post

News flash, most people didn't even hear about this trail and could care less about its outcome or ongoing bickering. Samsung's defeat did nothing from re-imagining their phones to not look anything like the iPhone. Even if Sammy get's away with paying $1 to Apple it does not change the fact that they lost and were found guilty of ripping off the iPhone design.

Samsung lost when they demonstrated to the world that they can't do original design of high standard, and have not met the quality standards of Apple.

This was linked from Daringfireball.net;

https://hbr.org/2015/09/how-samsung-became-a-design-powerhouse

Here's the punchline from the bottom of the article:

"Youngjin Yoo is the Harry A. Cochran Professor in Management Information Systems and the founding director of the Center for Design+Innovation at Temple University. He is also an overseas advisory fellow of the Samsung Economic Research Institute and consults for Samsung Electronics.

Kyungmook Kim is a principal designer at Samsung Electronics’ Corporate Design Center.

• Reply 23 of 41
    jungmark wrote: »
    Since she was born in the U.S., I assume you mean America..

Actually, I meant KOREA.

I get she's born here. But she has the mentality of those who call themselves ABC, mr. Jung. Chinese who don't want to be called American, so they call themselves American born Chinese. It's ok to recognize Koh's Korean heritage when she's appointed to office, but not ok to recognize her bias when it's on display? And if you are Korean, you also know the racism that is prevalent in the culture.

And let's give Koh the benefit of the doubt and say she's not racist or that she doesn't want to be known as more Korean than Ametican.

What matters is action. And her actions have baffled many as it is blatantly obvious that she sides with the KOREAN based Samsung. She's meddled in the case. Then she sought ways to lessen the verdict that she didn't want, and now she's punishing Apple for something Damsung did.

Open your eyes man!
  • Reply 24 of 41
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    9secondko wrote: »
    Actually, I meant KOREA.

I get she's born here. But she has the mentality of those who call themselves ABC, mr. Jung. Chinese who don't want to be called American, so they call themselves American born Chinese. It's ok to recognize Koh's Korean heritage when she's appointed to office, but not ok to recognize her bias when it's on display? And if you are Korean, you also know the racism that is prevalent in the culture.

And let's give Koh the benefit of the doubt and say she's not racist or that she doesn't want to be known as more Korean than Ametican.

What matters is action. And her actions have baffled many as it is blatantly obvious that she sides with the KOREAN based Samsung. She's meddled in the case. Then she sought ways to lessen the verdict that she didn't want, and now she's punishing Apple for something Damsung did.

Open your eyes man!
    Open YOUR eyes sir. If she's so biased against Apple or favoring Samsunghow do you explain this
    appleinsider.com/articles/14/11/26/judge-rules-apple-entitled-to-potential-ongoing-royalties-from-patent-infringing-samsung-products
    or this:
    http://macdailynews.com/2015/08/05/judge-lucy-koh-rules-for-apple-scuttles-class-action-lawsuit-over-undelivered-texts-to-android-downgraders/
    or this:
    http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2014/01/judge-koh-rules-samsung-devices-infringe-on-apple-patent.html
    or this one:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2012-06-27/apple-wins-preliminary-injunction-against-samsung-galaxy-tab-1-

You should get out and read more. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 25 of 41
    lovemnlovemn Posts: 52member
    Apple, invest in TSMC and have them make your chips, do not allow samdung to steal anything else.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    Actually, I meant KOREA.

Open your eyes man!
    So she has been so obviously biased that somehow Apple with all its resources have somehow failed to action anything against her when according to you it should be an open and shut case.

In other words you have let your own bias cloud your judgement against what is actually going on.
    In the words of Kosh "truth is a three edged sword"
  • Reply 27 of 41
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Open YOUR eyes sir. If she's so biased against Apple or favoring Samsunghow do you explain this
    appleinsider.com/articles/14/11/26/judge-rules-apple-entitled-to-potential-ongoing-royalties-from-patent-infringing-samsung-products
    or this:
    http://macdailynews.com/2015/08/05/judge-lucy-koh-rules-for-apple-scuttles-class-action-lawsuit-over-undelivered-texts-to-android-downgraders/
    or this:
    http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2014/01/judge-koh-rules-samsung-devices-infringe-on-apple-patent.html
    or this one:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2012-06-27/apple-wins-preliminary-injunction-against-samsung-galaxy-tab-1-

You should get out and read more. :rolleyes:

lol

You miss the point.

A judge can't just full out favor someone. She'd be gone. It's the subtleties.

Learn life. Then come back.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    So she has been so obviously biased that somehow Apple with all its resources have somehow failed to action anything against her when according to you it should be an open and shut case.

In other words you have let your own bias cloud your judgement against what is actually going on.
    In the words of Kosh "truth is a three edged sword"

See above.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    majanimajani Posts: 92member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tmay View Post

Every day that Samsung fights this, Samsung get weaker in mobile, and Apple gets stronger. If Apple gets defeated on patents, will just buy whatever technology that they need and as master of design and manufacture, crush everyone else.

Every frickin' day, Samsung falls further behind.

So fight to the end Samsung; invalidate every Apple patent,  and while you're doing that, don't look behind you as the other great copiers in Asia consume your market, then ultimately consume you. That's the real justice that will be visited on Samsung, you'll be dying a slow death in mobile.

Why would you wish that on Samsung when it's Xiamoi that's the one doing the real hurt?

Apple has copies Samsung as much as iOS has cloned features from Android, all companies natrually incorporate competitor designs into their own as a matter of evolution. Some features stick, get perpetuated and hang around, some die off and begin to disappear from he marketplace.

Don't knock Samsung for being a copycat, just like Apple, they are incorporating design ideas into themselves and adapting to the marketplace desires. Xiaomi, on the other hand, is building blatant knockoffs.

• Reply 30 of 41
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    Going back to the original case, can someone explain why she had the power to limit the number of patent infringements that Apple brought to trial? What is the purpose of a patent if you are prohibited from protecting it? If Apple thought that Samsung infringed on 65 patents - why does the judge have the power to say - that's too many - pick your top 5! I understand it would be a lot more work for the judge, the court system, the lawyers, etc.... But if someone is infringing on 40 of my parents - why can't I have my day in court for all of them??? Isnt't this the same as if the police arrested a serial rapist and charged him with 17 rapes - but then the lazy judge says 17 is too many - pick your top 3 and we'll just try him for those cases! Nobody would stand for that (for very good reasons)...but why is this different? Each patent infringement is a separate crime and deserving of a separate punishment!
    If I were able to, I'd bet a big chunk of money that Koh ends up on the Samsung payroll sometime within the next 10 years! (that is if she's not already on it!!!)
  • Reply 31 of 41
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    sinus tree wrote: »
    .....and could care less.......

This bothers me way more than it should do and I know I'm pissing into wind on this one but...... COULDN'T care less.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    See above.
    In other words you will fit the evidence to suit your "facts". Any verdicts that favour Apple are just a smokescreen to protect Samsung.
    My eyes are open and the evidence doesn't support your supposition. Methinks your have become too emotionally involved and have trouble with reality :-p
  • Reply 33 of 41
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

Actually, I meant KOREA.

Open your eyes man!

You don't get out much do you?

• Reply 34 of 41

Samsung and Apple better come to some agreement soon and work together.  Because the flood gate of Chinese cheap phones is about to be open soon.  You'll see Walmart carry some Chinese made iPhone look alike for $149 and works just fine.  There are ones coming out that rival Samsung and Apple for less than $300.  It would be harder for Samsung to keep up with the cheap phones.  Apple won't be hurt as much but will get affected at some point when the Chinese phones catches up to some degree with the help of Android 6.0 it should make many Android phones run buttery smooth and lower battery drain.

• Reply 35 of 41
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lol

You miss the point.

A judge can't just full out favor someone. She'd be gone. It's the subtleties.

Learn life. Then come back.
    No true American would rule against Apple, she must be Korean.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    tenly wrote: »
    Going back to the original case, can someone explain why she had the power to limit the number of patent infringements that Apple brought to trial? What is the purpose of a patent if you are prohibited from protecting it?
    She didn't. What she did do was advise Apple (and Samsung) if their primary interest was a speedy trial already scheduled to start in July/2012 then they needed to trim the claims back to their strongest ones. Trying to do it with 30 claims or more in a single lawsuit would seriously delay the jury trial itself up to a year (fact-finding, preliminary objections and responses, claim construction arguments, etc) but they had the right to do so if that was their preference.

It was always Apple's choice which way to go, stick with the July/2012 trial date or reschedule.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post

Samsung and Apple better come to some agreement soon and work together.  Because the flood gate of Chinese cheap phones is about to be open soon.  You'll see Walmart carry some Chinese made iPhone look alike for $149 and works just fine.  There are ones coming out that rival Samsung and Apple for less than $300.  It would be harder for Samsung to keep up with the cheap phones.  Apple won't be hurt as much but will get affected at some point when the Chinese phones catches up to some degree with the help of Android 6.0 it should make many Android phones run buttery smooth and lower battery drain.

Samsung is Apple's firewall, or maybe better a levee. When Samsung is flooded with clones,copies, and contenders, then Apple needs to be worried. For now, the brand and ecosystem of Apple's iPhone will sustain its market, and in no small way, Samsung still makes a lot of smartphones.

• Reply 38 of 41
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Actually, I meant KOREA.

Open your eyes man!

No one refers to themselves as ABC. In my experience, it's considered derogatory.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    jungmark wrote: »
    No one refers to themselves as ABC. In my experience, it's considered derogatory.
    I've met many people both in the U.S. and Canada that refer to themselves as ABC and CBC respectively. Some of them would probably be offended to hear that some people use it in a derogatory manner!
  • Reply 40 of 41
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Just to be safe Ssmsung should be barred from conducting any business in the U.S.

Starting with a certain very large wafer fab in Austin Texas.