Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

1. Disoriented

2. Alienated

3. Bored

4. Disconnected

5. Flashy without substance

The ad captures the ? music experience rather nicely. 

• Reply 22 of 35
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I wonder if Tim Cook knows The Weeknd's "I can't feel my face" is about cocaine use? I'm assuming not since he felt it was appropriate for WWDC.

These ads were so not Apple like. It really makes me miss the awesome iTunes silhouette ads. What a great ad campaign. The opposite of Apple Music ads (so far). Has there ever been an Apple ad that showed a price at the very end of it?

When your biggest aspiration is getting invited to a Suge Knight party, this is what the commercial looks like. The whole Beats acquisition is a hold your nose and look the other way affair, IMO.

• Reply 23 of 35
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    ireland wrote: »
    Apple marketing, and they let someone else take over? I don't think so.

Skip Android? Nope.

I'd go further and say they should do other Android apps as well. They should kill the FaceTime app and bundle FT functionality into Messages, heck, they're mostly there anyhow. And they need to tweak iMessage initial setup to be the same as WhatsApp where it's connected only to your cell number. Even for an iPad or Mac to set up iMessage you're asked for your mobile number and are texted a confirmation code to enter. We don't need iMessage connected to anything but phone numbers—that'd clean up some things.

And then release an Android version of that app.

I want to be able to iMessage and FaceTime and voice message or send a video to anyone on any device and any time. If Apple released iMessage on Android it'd be big news and pretty much every Android user would install it. If it was a well made Android app I could see iMessage becoming pretty much the defacto messaging platform for smartphones within 5 years. Besides, F*** Zuckerberg.

Here's the kicker: if every Android user installs iMessage it makes my life as an Apple devices user simpler. I get to use iMessage for ALL my short communication. Goodbye kik, goodbye Facebook messenger, goodbye WhatsApp, goodbye texts, goodbye Skype. If Apple is about simplifying and improving our lives, well, they know what to do.

You lost me with WhatsApp. It's a total piece of shit, especially compared to We Chat. Let alone the fact that it's owned by facebook.
  • Reply 24 of 35

Mainstream music, such as hip hop is not the only music Apple Music provides. I felt like both these ads are far from what I think Apple is all about. I also didn't care for it, but I guess it's business and Apple Music is really targeted for specific user groups. They need balance out the Apple Music with other genres too. Anyway, I too feel that such ads are tainting Apple as a brand. This is something I would see at Tidal!

• Reply 25 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

I didn't like these videos at all.. I feel like they were specifically made for this occasion, and will never air again.

What? Like some SuperBowl commercials?

Your point being?

• Reply 26 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Who's in charge over there these days?

A man making a crapload more money than you are who has his finger on the pulse of the ENTIRE spectrum of Apple users.

Are you in the age group these ads are aiming at? If not then sure you're not going to get these ads but if you are then guess what, you'll probably understand the ads and buy the product because the ads speak to you and how you're feeling.

Apple doesn't have to make ads for everyone they just have to make ads for the target market.

• Reply 27 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

Mainstream music, such as hip hop is not the only music Apple Music provides. I felt like both these ads are far from what I think Apple is all about. I also didn't care for it, but I guess it's business and Apple Music is really targeted for specific user groups. They need balance out the Apple Music with other genres too. Anyway, I too feel that such ads are tainting Apple as a brand. This is something I would see at Tidal!

It's one series of ads based around one character who is a hip hop "artist" and who had a set in the VMAs where this ad picks up - if you actually read the article. Of course it's going to be about one person it's a story about what happens when he leaves his set and heads home. It would be a crap story if it had different people it wouldn't flow.

• Reply 28 of 35
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josephwinters View Post

I can't remember the last time apple put a price in a commercial. Interesting.

That was an odd ending, but students and the MTV-age audience would be very price sensitive.

Personally, I didn't like the ads, but I'm not in the demo that watches MTV any more. If I had kids watching MTV these days, I'd probably cancel my cable.

• Reply 29 of 35
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    That awards show was on approximately 15 channels last night.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    What? Like some SuperBowl commercials?

Your point being?
    Exactly, like the Super Bowl, only worse, because it wasn't even any good. Such a waste.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Tried to watch the VMAs online at the MTV site and couldn't stand it. Just unbearable dreck. So bad it's not even "good bad".

• Reply 32 of 35
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member

A man making a crapload more money than you are who has his finger on the pulse of the ENTIRE spectrum of Apple users.

Are you in the age group these ads are aiming at? If not then sure you're not going to get these ads but if you are then guess what, you'll probably understand the ads and buy the product because the ads speak to you and how you're feeling.

Apple doesn't have to make ads for everyone they just have to make ads for the target market.

I'm sorry. I guess I wasn't very clear. I was not criticizing the effectiveness of the ads from a business aspect. I was criticizing this one from a moral aspect. Travolta is a major apologist for Scientology, a cult and criminal enterprise of the first order. Tim Cook has taken the lead on moral issues regarding fairness for LGBT and on green issues. If some part of the spectrum of Apple users is ignorant of Scientology, Tim should enlighten them.

Would it be okay for Apple to use Mel Gibson, Bill Cosby or Jenny McCarthy in their ads because some millennials think they are cool?
  • Reply 33 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I'm sorry. I guess I wasn't very clear. I was not criticizing the effectiveness of the ads from a business aspect. I was criticizing this one from a moral aspect. Travolta is a major apologist for Scientology, a cult and criminal enterprise of the first order. Tim Cook has taken the lead on moral issues regarding fairness for LGBT and on green issues. If some part of the spectrum of Apple users is ignorant of Scientology, Tim should enlighten them.

Would it be okay for Apple to use Mel Gibson, Bill Cosby or Jenny McCarthy in their ads because some millennials think they are cool?

Religious beliefs are personal and have no bearing on business matters in truth unless the business is an active participant of the religion.

Frankly one could argue that Cook has no place putting Apple in the spotlight on LGBT because it alienates those who don't subscribe to the gay issues.

You are going to annoy people no matter what you do so why are you hung up on this? So Apple used Travolta in an ad... whoopty freaking doo he's a pop icon and is well known. Who'd have ever thought that Apple would use popular people to sell their popular products.

• Reply 34 of 35
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

You miss the point.  The guy's face is numb because being with the girl is like getting high on cocaine.

There is no point. You're not numb on cocaine unless you pasted it on your face.

That whole thing makes no sense except as a metaphor, like cocaine was pasted on his brain...

And the ***caine variants used topically are not even cocaine (because that would be very expensive!)

Ingesting Cocaine would NOT MAKE YOU NUMB.

So, it plays on the whole Cocaine (like lidocaine) variants that are used as topical anesthetics rather than playing on straight cocaine.

So, even mentioning as controversial seem to be missing the whole actual metaphor (if there is any, I think the whole thing is belabored and just weird to hear!).

I feel the whole song is just blah. Supposedly sound like something Michael Jackson would do, but from my perspective Timberlake had a much better take on MJ.

• Reply 35 of 35
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I was criticizing this one from a moral aspect. Travolta is a major apologist for Scientology, a cult and criminal enterprise of the first order.

Not to mention a baldy who goes around with wigs on:

http://gawker.com/5766189/john-travolta-goes-in-public-without-his-wig/

It might be to do with a movie reference though. The ads had a hint of drug-fuelled hallucination:

[VIDEO]

[VIDEO]

The role Travolta plays in the ad looks a bit like his character in Pulp Fiction but there could be another movie reference. I'm sure Apple said the Beats company would operate independently as a subsidiary of Apple. These ads could have been done by Apple's internal marketing team but under the direction of the Beats employees. Musicians know their audience better than Apple and it shouldn't come as a surprise that the kind of music kids listen to isn't going to resonate with people who have watched Apple ads over the last couple of decades. There's always a new generation with new taste and new culture. Beats helps Apple stay connected to that for better or worse.