LG announces limited edition 23-karat gold 'Urbane Watch Luxe' smartwatch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    retrogusto wrote: »
    LG says that the new luxury smartwatch is "designed with a specific wearer in mind," though that wearer is neither named nor described.

At least they know that only one person is going to buy this thing, even if they don't yet know who that person is.

You beat me to it on both points!!

This watch is neither outstanding in style nor offering much beyond a time piece. I predict by the time LG gets desperate in dumping this turkey, they will be in plastic shells and swinging off pegboard hooks in Walmart.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member

Gold plated ? gold.

A gold-plated turd is still a turd.

• Reply 23 of 56
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    thrang wrote: »

The article is vague, using words like "suggests" and doesn't connected how this process, even if used, would either circumvent or not meet the 18k testing standard.
    Are you reading the same article as I did? They obviously aren't circumventing anything as the author explains. He tells you how karats are determined and it's not as tho Kitco doesn't know a thing or two about gold.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    gatorguy wrote: »
    If you read the article I linked it explains why Apple can reduce the gold content compared to others but still claim 18K.

The article is vague, using words like "suggests" and doesn't connect how this process, even if used, would either circumvent or conversely not meet the 18k testing standard.

Apple aiming this product at a market that wouldn't allow it to be other then 18K gold. The article may be vague because Apple isn't completely forthcoming in how they do what they do their patented metal magic.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member
    Are you reading the same article as I did? They obviously aren't circumventing anything as the author explains. He tells you how karats are determined and it's not as tho Kitco doesn't know a thing or two about gold.

If the Watch is tested by independent labs for meeting the 18k standard, does it pass?

I'm not trying to defend Apples pricing for Editiion either. It's just that as the standards are seemingly delineated, there are different ways to get to legitimate 18k solid gold, and Apple has met this standard. If they haven't, they will be vilified.
  • Reply 26 of 56

That clasp looks way bulky.

• Reply 27 of 56
    freediverx wrote: »
    Gold plated ? gold.
    A gold-plated turd is still a turd.

This turd will lose its luster quickly with that soft gold coating... I keep hearing a smarmy late night announcer saying "gold-tone finish" over and over...

"You can tell nothing but the finest materials are used by the green build-up on your wrist..."

*no reptiles were harmed in making the simulated faux alligator-hide watch band.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    If the Watch is tested by independent labs for meeting the 18k standard, does it pass?

I'm not trying to defend Apples pricing for Editiion either. It's just that as the standards are seemingly delineated, there are different ways to get to legitimate 18k solid gold, and Apple has met this standard.
    What did Kapco say? They're the experts.
    Spoiler:
  • Reply 29 of 56
    That clasp looks way bulky.

I was particularly struck by the tab that projects into the wearer's wrist. Like a snow-tire stud, it may keep the watch from spinning around on your wrist... yeah, that's what it's for...traction!
  • Reply 30 of 56
    What did Kapco say? They're the experts.
    Spoiler:

So its legitimately 18k? Are we in agreement?

Has the rest of the watchmaking industry exploded in anger at some subversion of the standard? Or do you think many of them invest in advanced metallurgy techniques as well to maximize the alloy process, all while still adhering to the industry standard?
  • Reply 31 of 56
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    You beat me to it on both points!!

This watch is neither outstanding in style nor offering much beyond a time piece. I predict by the time LG gets desperate in dumping this turkey, they will be in plastic shells and swinging off pegboard hooks in Walmart.

It's a smart watch, just like Apple Watch. It has the same water resistance rating and has an always-on display with similar battery life. It also has a simpler UI. Hardly the "turkey" that so many other smart watches are. It's also $350 for stainless steel/leather.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    melgross wrote: »
    I hope you aren't being serious.
    Why wouldn't he be? It's really not too bad looking actually.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    Why wouldn't he be? It's really not too bad looking actually.

It's serviceable, if not generic. But agree the gold looks too yellow at least in the photo, the inside of the clasp looks like a torture device.

The software and ecosystem is not worth debating however.
  • Reply 34 of 56
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member

The "Gold Edition" only has about a half ounce of actual gold in it, about $560 at today's spot price. Apple has a special and unique process they've used to minimize the gold needed. It's certainly not solid gold.
    http://www.kitco.com/ind/Albrecht/2015-04-13-The-Apple-Gold-Watch-To-Contain-Half-Ounce-Of-Gold.html

Total nonsense. There's no mystery about the weight of the case. Apple reports it as 1.9-2.4oz (http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watch/apple-watch-edition/38mm-18-karat-rose-gold-case-white-sport-band?product=MJ8P2LL/A&step=detail). That puts the pure gold content at 1.4-1.8oz. The author of that article is clearly pulling 0.5oz out of his ass.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Here is what is going to happen in the wearable space, the exact same thing that happen in the tablet space. Apple will sell the majority of smart watches not doubt about it, however, all these other companies will sell a few android wear watches and the stupid analysis was pull numbers out of nowhere and claim android wear is winning in spite of no ever being seen wearing an android wear watch.

• Reply 36 of 56
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Another instance that shows how Non-Apple hardware aims at the low-prices because they know their software isn't up to par to command 10K price tag, even though it's 23K gold as opposed to 18K gold that Apple Watches come in.

The Apple Watch software doesn't command a 10K or more price tag either. It's the same software in all versions. It's a status product. That's it.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    This puts the gold in Lucky Goldstar. :lol:
    Just think...our little maker of cheap Korean microwave ovens and TV+VCR combos has grown up!
  • Reply 38 of 56
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Mr. Ive all but confirmed it some months back. He was quoted in a news article as saying "the molecules in Apple gold are closer together, making it twice as hard as standard gold." Gold plus ceramics, described in Apple's patent, would be the takeaway.

EDIT: Here's the source article:
    http://howtospendit.ft.com/technology/77791-the-man-behind-the-apple-watch

and another with a clearer explanation:
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2015/03/09/apple_watch_edition_the_company_found_a_trick_to_use_as_little_gold_as_possible.html

I don't care what Ive said. Apple's website says the 38mm gold watch is 54g for the rose gold ot 55g for the yellow gold. That's 1.9 ounces.

http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watch/apple-watch-edition/38mm-18-karat-rose-gold-case-white-sport-band?product=MJ8P2LL/A&step=detail

There were rumors Apple was using some new fangled process based on a patent application but that was never confirmed. And based on the fact that people like John Gruber said the gold watch is heavier than the stainless steel watch I'm inclined to believe Apple isn't using some new process that involves less gold.
  • Reply 39 of 56
    rogifan wrote: »
    I don't care what Ive said. Apple's website says the 38mm gold watch is 54g for the rose gold ot 55g for the yellow gold. That's 1.9 ounces.

http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watch/apple-watch-edition/38mm-18-karat-rose-gold-case-white-sport-band?product=MJ8P2LL/A&step=detail

There were rumors Apple was using some new fangled process based on a patent application but that was never confirmed. And based on the fact that people like John Gruber said the gold watch is heavier than the stainless steel watch I'm inclined to believe Apple isn't using some new process that involves less gold.
    How heavy would gold and ceramics be compared to stainless steel? Obviously Apple is using a different process to arrive at 18K than others since theirs is "twice as hard as standard". Unless of course Mr Ive lied about it.
    iaeen wrote: »
    Total nonsense. There's no mystery about the weight of the case. Apple reports it as 1.9-2.4oz (http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watch/apple-watch-edition/38mm-18-karat-rose-gold-case-white-sport-band?product=MJ8P2LL/A&step=detail). That puts the pure gold content at 1.4-1.8oz. The author of that article is clearly pulling 0.5oz out of his ass.
    No one disputes how much the case weighs. That's easy to confirm. Apple doesn't say the extra weight is all pure gold do they?
  • Reply 40 of 56
    sog35 wrote: »
    Total and utter bullshit.

No way the edition watch only has a half ounce of gold.
    Because you said so or based on some shred of evidence?