Google promises to dramatically shrink 4K bandwidth with upcoming VP10 video codec

1235»

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 95
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    1) Why the **** can't you read carefully? Once! Just fucking once!

    2) No one said that Apple doesn't use anything proprietary. I even made a very clear comment about why FW failed.

    3) No one said all things proprietary are bad. Are you claiming proprietary HW and SW is wrong? I thin Apple's A-series chips are great. And the 30-pinc connector was needed because there was no other option available (which you won't acknowledge). The Lightning connector was needed because there was no other option available (which you'll say that micro-USB is the same, but it's not even close). I've even stated I could see Apple adopt USB-C before they released their MacBook, and I also stated that I could see Apple use USB-C in their iDevices assuming the increased thickness of the USB-C connector wasn't too much for their future plans.

    So where exactly are trying to pull your ridiculous argument from?

    (all questions are rhetorical as I already know the answers)

    If no one gives a flying **** about propriety interfaces, why are so many people on this site going on about Sony using them.
  • Reply 82 of 95
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    subbies wrote: »
    I was focusing more on their TV and DVD efforts. Such as if I put a movie on a usb and it's not their compression standard it won't work. Their menus and options are horrible also.

    Please explain, what tv? what format video? And what do their menus have to do with anything?

    I can put a video on a usb stick, put it into my AppleTV, nothing happens, it doesn't even see it. I'm lost to your point. If you have one, please explain it.
  • Reply 83 of 95
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,278member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post





    Not with the time he's talking about: Apple's "'dark years" while Steve Jobs was not at Apple.



    One popular example is FireWire which struggled and then died because of relatively high HW and licensing costs that USB didn't have. Since Apple initiated its development in 1986 and the IEEE 1394 standard is commonly referred to* by Apple's trademark, FireWire, Apple then gets all the blame for borking FireWire. The fact is there were many international companies and patents involved with the licensing, but it wasn't the per-device licensing fees that held it back; it was the cost of the HW, which is inherently difference from USB. Let's also remember that Apple was the first major "PC" maker to go all-in with USB, which they did while still supporting FireWire due to FW's considerably faster speeds.



    * I think it's possible more peripherals used Sony's implementation of IEEE 1394 called i.LINK, then used FireWire.



    Firewire didn't die until Thunderbolt came along. 

     

    In fact two entire industries were/are virtually built around the standard. To call Firewire a "failure" is a complete misrepresentation. It was superseded in the consumer space by USB after about five years or so, but it's only fairly recently started to be replaced in the pro media market.

  • Reply 84 of 95
    spheric wrote: »
    Firewire didn't die until Thunderbolt came along. 

    In fact two entire industries were/are virtually built around the standard. To call Firewire a "failure" is a complete misrepresentation. It was superseded in the consumer space by USB after about five years or so, but it's only fairly recently started to be replaced in the pro media market.

    Don't confuse a death with a burial. FireWire died long before Apple finally dropped it for TB.
  • Reply 85 of 95
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    N
    If you start to read more carefully and stop making stupid comments I won't have to call you out on them. I bet if you do the former the latter will happen on its own… but than again, I believe in you.
    .

    yet, all you do is personal insults, and you won't answer the question.
  • Reply 86 of 95
    jfanning wrote: »
    yet, all you do is personal insults...

    Tearing your argument apart ? personal attack. You calling people fuckwits and dick heads are actually personal attacks. Colour me unsurprised by your hypocriscital and ignorant comments, and yet it's still amazing when it happens.

    …and you won't answer the question.

    Answered at least three times now.
  • Reply 87 of 95
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Tearing your argument apart ? personal attack. You calling people fuckwits and dick heads are actually personal attacks. Colour me unsurprised by your hypocriscital and ignorant comments, and yet it's still amazing when it happens.

    You need to starting tearing it apart, as you haven't started doing that yet.
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Answered at least three times now.

    So is that when you stated "Sony mostly seemed to focus on making new connector types,", I asked what are you talking about, and you still haven't responded to backup your original claim.

    Sony isn't making new connector types, all their products use USB, the only one that I know of with a propriety interface is the Vita.Why is Sony bad to do that, and Apple is good?
  • Reply 88 of 95
    jfanning wrote: »
    You need to starting tearing it apart, as you haven't started doing that yet.

    Sure¡
    So is that when you stated "Sony mostly seemed to focus on making new connector types,", I asked what are you talking about, and you still haven't responded to backup your original claim.

    So now you're ignoring both mine and [@]Subbies[/@] multiple examples are not good enough or not existing at all? Good plan¡
    Sony isn't making new connector types, all their products use USB, the only one that I know of with a propriety interface is the Vita.Why is Sony bad to do that, and Apple is good?

    Funny how you can seemingly read words like "a long time ago" and seemed (past tense), but then claim everyone is talking about what is happing right now with your "Sony isn't making new" comment. I'm honestly curious about your brain. This is some serious lack of something that should be in the DSM, based on your comments, or you just really love to play the ignorant troll. Either way I'd love to see an fMRI of your neural activity.
  • Reply 89 of 95
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post



    Don't confuse a death with a burial. FireWire died long before Apple finally dropped it for TB.

     

    Which part of "two entire industries are built around it" did you miss? 

     

    Millions of A/V professionals still use Firewire daily. It only started to die a few years ago, AFTER Apple dropped it for TB.

    Until then, most pro audio interfaces were Firewire-based or at least had a Firewire option, for example. 

  • Reply 90 of 95
    spheric wrote: »
    Which part of "two entire industries are built around it" did you miss? 

    Millions of A/V professionals still use Firewire daily. It only started to die a few years ago, AFTER Apple dropped it for TB.
    Until then, most pro audio interfaces were Firewire-based or at least had a Firewire option, for example. 

    In technology, dying in technology doesn't refer to a single sole no longer using it, it refers to it to EOL. As i stated, a body being dead is the not the same as being buried, and even a dead body has its uses.

    Can you show me even a handful of new devices coming out in 2015 that include FireWire?


    PS: I used a floppy drive last month. Does that mean it's not dead?
  • Reply 91 of 95
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,278member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post





    In technology, dying in technology doesn't refer to a single sole no longer using it, it refers to it to EOL. As i stated, a body being dead is the not the same as being buried, and even a dead body has its uses.



    Can you show me even a handful of new devices coming out in 2015 that include FireWire?





    PS: I used a floppy drive last month. Does that mean it's not dead?



    Why on Earth should I show you new devices coming out in 2015 including Firewire? 

     

    Thunderbolt was introduced in 2011. Most pro-level hardware was shipping with Firewire at the time, including the industry high-end-standard Metric Halo Mobile I/O series (which STILL ships with Firewire, though a remodelling to USB will be available to all owners of existing hardware in the near future), RME Fireface, Prism sound, and Universal Audio stuff. Even the lower-tier MotU stuff was still largely Firewire-based at that time. 

  • Reply 92 of 95
    spheric wrote: »
    Why on Earth should I show you new devices coming out in 2015 including Firewire?

    To make your case, to show you're not lying about it "only started to die a couple years ago", and show that you're not making it up.
    Thunderbolt was introduced in 2011. Most pro-level hardware was shipping with Firewire at the time, including the industry high-end-standard Metric Halo Mobile I/O series (which STILL ships with Firewire, though a remodelling to USB will be available to all owners of existing hardware in the near future), RME Fireface, Prism sound, and Universal Audio stuff. Even the lower-tier MotU stuff was still largely Firewire-based at that time.

    Hence, it's a dead technology.

    Do you eat meat? How much meat do you eat that is still alive? Same with technology. T'can still be useful after its dead. To restate for the umpteenth time: THRE IS ZERO FUCKING FORWARD MOVEMENT ON FIREWIRE. THERE I NO FIREWIRE-1600. THERE IS NO FIREWIRE-3200. DEAD. DEAD. DEAD.
  • Reply 93 of 95
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,278member

    I agree that it's dead. 

     

    Here's what I wrote, since you apparently didn't read it:

     

    "Firewire didn't die until Thunderbolt came along."

     

    My claim was that it didn't "struggle and then die because of relatively high HW and licensing costs that USB didn't have."

    While that IS true for the consumer space (and I explicitly acknowledged that), in the sidelines, it actually THRIVED and redefined entire industries before being replaced by Thunderbolt. 

     

    In 2011. 

     

    May I suggest that it would help your blood pressure if you stuck to arguing points that people are actually making? Just a thought. :)

  • Reply 94 of 95
    spheric wrote: »
    I agree that it's dead. 

    Here's what I wrote, since you apparently didn't read it:

    "Firewire didn't die until Thunderbolt came along."

    My claim was that it didn't "struggle and then die because of relatively high HW and licensing costs that USB didn't have."
    While that IS true for the consumer space (and I explicitly acknowledged that), in the sidelines, it actually THRIVED and redefined entire industries before being replaced by Thunderbolt. 

    In 2011. 

    May I suggest that it would help your blood pressure if you stuck to arguing points that people are actually making? Just a thought. :)

    Oh, I read it and I clearly commented on it, which included an analogy that dead does not necessarily mean unusable or buried. I then furthered my explanation which included showing you that you shouldn't look at usage, but the technology itself. Hence, the technology was dead years before TB came along.

    Widen your scope and you'll see that both Steve Jobs and I are dead-on-balls correct.
  • Reply 95 of 95
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    So now you're ignoring both mine and [@]Subbies[/@] multiple examples are not good enough or not existing at all? Good plan¡

    I'm not ignoring your or Subbies messages. So far I have heard something I tried on some device at some point in time didn't work as I wanted it to work. I have asked for more details, haven't seen a reply yet.
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Funny how you can seemingly read words like "a long time ago" and seemed (past tense), but then claim everyone is talking about what is happing right now with your "Sony isn't making new" comment. I'm honestly curious about your brain. This is some serious lack of something that should be in the DSM, based on your comments, or you just really love to play the ignorant troll. Either way I'd love to see an fMRI of your neural activity.

    Ok, I am really having issues with what you are trying to say.

    What exactly is your issue with Sony?
Sign In or Register to comment.