Nest introduces third-gen Thermostat with better display, Farsight wakeup

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    sog35 wrote: »
    I didn't say you don't need to purchase anything else.  You need to buy a HomeKit compliant thermostat.
    That was your implication so you were either purposely being dishonest about the HW costs involved to control or thermostat remotely or you simply didn't think it through.
    But why waste your money on a Nest thermostat when you can control everything with AppleHome/Hub?  No reason to have to run 2 different apps for your home.

Do you know what HomeKit is? It's a framework for communicating with certain devices, the way HealthKit with certain devices. That means something that could be added by Nest and it also means there doesn't have to be just be one app on your iPhone called HomeKit to control everything.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Google makes 99% of their profits from advertising and data mining.  Pretty obvious what they will do with the Nest data.
    I don't know they make any income from data-mining. They don't sell data AFAIK. That's would be more in line with businesses like Claritas or Acxiom. The second one has been mentioned here before but you probably never heard of health data aggregators such as Claritas or companies like them. You probably should if health privacy is a concern of yours, which it may not be.

Agreed that all but about $1.7B in this last quarter came from advertising services so Anant is pretty spot on, tho a couple of $Billion in really a lot of money to most folks and hardly anything to sneeze at*.

*Yeah I know it's pocket change to Apple of course
  • Reply 23 of 54
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

We've got two second generation Nest thermostats (one upstairs, one downstairs... two heat pumps) and they work incredibly well. However, there is nothing in these third generation models that would make me want to "upgrade." These are thermostats, not smartphones. It's pretty much set it and forget it.

• Reply 24 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Google makes 99% of their profits from advertising and data mining.  Pretty obvious what they will do with the Nest data.

Google doesn't make any money by selling user data.  They never have, and it's directly at odds with using the data as a basis for advertising.  So now take a look at what data you can use to advertise against.  None of it comes from Nest.  There isn't even a category that the data would fit into.

• Reply 25 of 54
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I said 99% of PROFITS not REVENUE.

Take out all of Google's advertising profits and you are left with a bunch of divisions that make no profit or are losing money = Nest, Car, Google Fiber, Google Health, ect.

The only thing that makes profit is GooglePlay store.
    Never saw that detailed before. Not even sure Apple breaks things down that much. Where did you find the profit data by segment from Google?
  • Reply 26 of 54
    solipsismy wrote: »
    1) Is there any evidence Nest "spies" on you any more than it did before Google bought the company?

2) I do think this announcement isn't a coincidence and do think people should probably wait to see if Apple has anything to offer in this arena, but I fail to see where there is any mention of anything called AppleHub, such a device being priced at $199, or why it would make sense for this "hub" device to also be the thermostat.
    1) How is news about a potential Apple competitor not relevant to Apple? Who said that all news on AI has to have Apple as the primary topic? You've been hear long enough to know AI has always covered other interesting companies that compete with Apple.

2) I do. I'm also liking the new initiatives and changes they released today.

The day it is news is when Apple releases a line of home safety sensoring products.
  • Reply 27 of 54

And still no support for Carrier Infinity systems.  You'd think they could have reverse-engineered Carrier's protocol by now. As long as nothing is encrypted, reverse-engineering is perfectly legal.

• Reply 28 of 54
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Who knows what it will be called.  But certainly not AppleTV.  That name is taken already and would be silly to use the same name.  

Apple has already said that ?TV will function as a hub, or entry point, when you are away. They added HomeKit support in the last ?TV OS update. ?TV will not be necessary to interact with HomeKit devices while at home, most likely not even possible.  It is rumored that there may be an app called Home which theoretically will run on your iPhone and allow you to configure your homes, rooms, devices, schedules and scenes. Presumably there will be various ways to control devices, either using Siri in conjunction with Home, which may need to be running in the foreground, ?TV when away, or a dedicated app from the manufacturer of the device that could either manipulate the device directly over bluetooth or by using a server in the cloud that the device is regularly monitoring.

• Reply 29 of 54
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    If they didn't fix the blowing FET issues on the backplate, which is an issue with separate heating and AC systems/transformers, forget it...they bought back 5 units from me, and I've been very happy with the Honeywell Wifi models
  • Reply 30 of 54
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gregq View Post

From the display it looks like you can now adjust the temp spread, which I believe was one of the biggest gripes from owners. It does look nice, but it's $100 too expensive for me when I can grab a Sensi for $125 or less.

Not necessarily...that behavior is showing the set point (first dash) at 75, and where the room temp is (second dash 78). It's meant to illustrate the amount of cooling still required to hit your set point.

• Reply 31 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thrang View Post

If they didn't fix the blowing FET issues on the backplate, which is an issue with separate heating and AC systems/transformers, forget it...they bought back 5 units from me, and I've been very happy with the Honeywell Wifi models

I have Honeywell wifi units at different locations. Operation has been excellent. One is on a heat pump with 25KW 'emergency' heat and it too works the same as my original digital (manual) control.

I LIKE the fact that the honeywell is remote but NOT smart. I set 76 and it controls to 76. No mucking about trying to set what it thinks is correct. I wish i could put my WeMo in more than one location though - they work just fine put i need one IOS device PER location i have WeMO installed - sad.

• Reply 32 of 54
    It would be nice for some of you to move past this whole Google is evil and spies on us so any product related to them is trash. Nest is a great product (I have several). I actually care about Google as they influence a lot of what goes on in the Tech community and also drives innovation through competition.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

It would be nice for some of you to move past this whole Google is evil and spies on us so any product related to them is trash. Nest is a great product (I have several). I actually care about Google as they influence a lot of what goes on in the Tech community and also drives innovation through competition.

The "Google is the antichrist" rhetoric does get old around here. I've just learned to ignore it for the most part. 

• Reply 34 of 54
    How is this pertinent to Apple news? No one gives a frack about Google.

"presented for discussion purposes."
  • Reply 35 of 54
    mike1 wrote: »
    Why on earth would I want it to light up whenever anybody is in the room. It certainly should not be the center of attention. Three feet was ideal. I hope this can be turned off.

My home thermostats have always been located in high traffic hallways, because rooms tend to be along the outer walls of the home, and the thermostat is centrally located away from the outer walls. So Nest would light up anytime someone walked past it to the bathroom. How innovative. /s
  • Reply 36 of 54
    Quote:

Google data mines to sell ads.  

Wow, you didn't even read what I wrote.  The point is, Google doesn't sell the data, and the ads that they sell have no ability to be bid on based on any data they could be collecting from the Nest.  This isn't the NSA, this is not only public info, but the entire sales process is inherently open by design.  Go on, go to Google and try placing an ad based on any data criteria from Nest devices.  You can't, and you can't even find a category that would match the data.

So your statement "Google data mines to sell ads" is completely baseless and irrelevant to the Nest.

• Reply 37 of 54
    Quote:

Hmmmm....

lets see.  Should I get a thermostat that spies on me for $249 or the new AppleHub for $199?

I am genuinely curious.

What is this new AppleHub thermostat for $199 that you are talking about?

• Reply 38 of 54
    I have a second gen Nest for a 2 zone, 2 stage heat pump setup. It works okay. There are still aspects that I would have thought they would have updated. The auto on within 3 feet doesn't work great for me as I often have to push the nest after waving my hand at it trying to wake it up.

This third gen doesn't sound like anything close to consider an upgrade for...

More pleased with my 2 nest smoke detectors even though they don't do much... Peace of mind being able to check house at any given time.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    Just the other day I walked into my living room and thought, "Why don't I have a $250 thermostat where the screen comes on when I walk in the room?

Then I read this story.
  • Reply 40 of 54
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

The "Google is the antichrist" rhetoric does get old around here. I've just learned to ignore it for the most part. 

They're not the anti-Christ, just the devil, they skipped the intermediary...