DJI's new iOS-compatible Phantom 3 drones land at Apple Store

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2015
DJI's latest generation of "prosumer" drones, the Phantom 3 series, marks the company's debut among the handpicked lineup of iOS-connected accessories available to buy direct from Apple.

As of Wednesday both the DJI Phantom 3 Professional and DJI Phantom 3 Advanced camera drones are now available to purchase from the Apple Store for their respective retail prices of $1,259.95 and $999.95. Both are available to ship home or to an Apple retail location of the customer's choice.

Apple's stores have sold iOS-connected drones before, most notably devices made by Parrot. But Parrot's accessories tend to be targeted for more entry-level users, while DJI's drones feature high-end capabilities like GPS location lock, autopiloting, and the 4K ultra-high-definition camera on the new DJI Phantom 3 Professional.

Currently absent from Apple's store is the $799 Phantom 3 Standard, which was unveiled a month ago. Its retail availability remains limited elsewhere as well, suggesting that the entry-level Phantom 3 model may eventually make its way to Apple's own store to complete the lineup.

AppleInsider recently reviewed the Phantom 3 Professional and found it to be DJI's best Phantom yet, sporting a greatly improved controller with clamp large enough to hold an iPad Air, as well as a revamped iOS app.

With a flight time of up to 23 minutes, the Phantom 3 Professional also includes a vision sensor for safe indoor flight. Its 4K-resolution, gimbal-mounted camera captures video at 30 frames per second.

The mid-range Phantom 3 Advanced is identical in almost all ways, but its camera captures 1080p video at 60 frames per second. The $799 Phantom 3 Standard is limited to 1080p video at 30 frames per second.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14

I just can't emphasize it more...to all you drone pilots:

BE RESPONSIBLE when flying.

- don't irritate the public with the noise or invading privacy. Fly higher to give the public some space. It's also less noisy.

- don't fly it anywhere near a crime scene, fire or disaster where 1st responders (esp. helicopters)  may be.

- don't hover above people. Keep flying forward. Respect people's privacy.

- do learn all you can about your equipment. Just like we should all strive to be professional drivers on the road, also strive to be a professional pilot.

• Reply 2 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

I just can't emphasize it more...to all you drone pilots:

BE RESPONSIBLE when flying.

- don't irritate the public with the noise or invading privacy. Fly higher to give the public some space. It's also less noisy.

- don't fly it anywhere near a crime scene, fire or disaster where 1st responders (esp. helicopters)  may be.

- don't hover above people. Keep flying forward. Respect people's privacy.

- do learn all you can about your equipment. Just like we should all strive to be professional drivers on the road, also strive to be a professional pilot.

Stupid people will continue to make stupid choices. Perhaps the FAA will eventually force quadrocopter manufacturers to put a kill-switch in them that law enforcement can activate at will.

• Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Stupid people will continue to make stupid choices. Perhaps the FAA will eventually force quadrocopter manufacturers to put a kill-switch in them that law enforcement can activate at will.

But that can mean it falls on innocent people.  Which is also dangerous.  

There are rules regarding usage of quadcopters set by the FAA. Also, highly recommended is joining the AMA.  

• Reply 4 of 14

If only you could get Applecare for the drone... because you are going to crash it. Trust me. It will crash. I own one and even though I have tried to be extremely careful, I have crashed mine twice so far. This is a very expensive hobby to get into but I have to say it is also one of the most rewarding ones. The videos are simply amazing. They are better than the video you can make with a helicopter and much safer for all involved.

• Reply 5 of 14
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

But that can mean it falls on innocent people.  Which is also dangerous.  

There are rules regarding usage of quadcopters set by the FAA. Also, highly recommended is joining the AMA.  

There have been several drone very close calls with passenger aircraft at our main international airport.

If a drone comes near my house, beware my slingshot is loaded and at the ready !

• Reply 6 of 14

From the articles I've read, it's illegal to shoot down a quadcopter.  Especially, if it's not over your property.  Plus, you can be fined and have to pay damages to the owner of the quadcopter. 

• Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

There have been several drone very close calls with passenger aircraft at our main international airport.

If a drone comes near my house, beware my slingshot is loaded and at the ready !

Why does an occasional drone flying in restricted air space at an airport justify your aggressive and dangerous behavior at your house?

Do you think your misses and a falling drone are less dangerous for people on the ground than a drone that doesn't crash? 

• Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

From the articles I've read, it's illegal to shoot down a quadcopter.  Especially, if it's not over your property.  Plus, you can be fined and have to pay damages to the owner of the quadcopter. 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rivertrip View Post

Why does an occasional drone flying in restricted air space at an airport justify your aggressive and dangerous behavior at your house?

Do you think your misses and a falling drone are less dangerous for people on the ground than a drone that doesn't crash? 

Both of you need to read and understand the newly enacted FAA regulations on "quadcopter" drones. (as it seems like like neither of you have) You could be liable for fines and/or jail time. If you are flying over someone else YOU are the one who could be the one in more serious trouble (AAT the person trying to knock down your drone). (assuming you aren't minors, in which case you parents could be in serious trouble)

I'm not anti drone (actually we contract professional's all the time for flyover footage) but the FAA has made very clear the the public is nearly held blameless and errant drone operators could incur serious liability. (IE you can't fly over a human or even near a crowd without specific permission)

• Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyFX View Post

Both of you need to read and understand the newly enacted FAA regulations on "quadcopter" drones. (as it seems like like neither of you have) You could be liable for fines and/or jail time. If you are flying over someone else YOU are the one who could be the one in more serious trouble (AAT the person trying to knock down your drone). (assuming you aren't minors, in which case you parents could be in serious trouble)

I'm not anti drone (actually we contract professional's all the time for flyover footage) but the FAA has made very clear the the public is nearly held blameless and errant drone operators could incur serious liability. (IE you can't fly over a human or even near a crowd without specific permission)

What makes you think I'm not aware?  I recently got into the quadcopter movement.  Yes, I have read the FAA rules and become an AMA member.  

I said IF IT IS NOT over someone else's property.  And shooting anything out of the sky, I believe is unlawful.  Unless you are skeet shooting at a range or hunting.  

• Reply 10 of 14
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    Quote:

What makes you think I'm not aware?  I recently got into the quadcopter movement.  Yes, I have read the FAA rules and become an AMA member.  

I said IF IT IS NOT over someone else's property.  And shooting anything out of the sky, I believe is unlawful.  Unless you are skeet shooting at a range or hunting.  

You didn't sound like you knew. And that wasn't what you said. You said "Especially, if it's not over your property." Thats very different.

And no it actually isn't always illegal, if the copter is flying low  enough (where most non-profesional copters are operated)  and a person feels threatened by it, they many down the device by any means permitted. (there is no FAA protection in this case)

My point was, know the law (and it's changing constantly) federal, state and local (many new local bans and restrictions are being enacted) and try not to be a butthead. Then people won't want to take out your device.

• Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

You didn't sound like you knew. And that wasn't what you said. You said "Especially, if it's not over your property." Thats very different.

And no it actually isn't always illegal, if the copter is flying low  enough (where most non-profesional copters are operated)  and a person feels threatened by it, they many down the device by any means permitted. (there is no FAA protection in this case)

My point was, know the law (and it's changing constantly) federal, state and local (many new local bans and restrictions are being enacted) and try not to be a butthead. Then people won't want to take out your device.

My bad... I should of written... "....it's illegal to shoot down a quadcopter, especially, if it's not over your own property."

Can you link to me to the law that allows shooting of other people's property?  I truly want to know.  

• Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Federal (FAA) law protects flying objects (even drones) unless the person feels physically threatened by it, in which case you don't have that protection. In that case protecting ones self (by downing the aircraft, by whatever means) would not be a crime (federal or otherwise)

I suggest you look up the FAA laws protecting unmanned aircraft (you know the ones you read) and double check, I don't even own a drone (this knowledge was imparted to me by my aviation contractor who BTW holds a commercial FAA pilots license) 

• Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Federal (FAA) law protects flying objects (even drones) unless the person feels physically threatened by it, in which case you don't have that protection. In that case protecting ones self (by downing the aircraft, by whatever means) would not be a crime (federal or otherwise)

I suggest you look up the FAA laws protecting unmanned aircraft (you know the ones you read) and double check, I don't even own a drone (this knowledge was imparted to me by my aviation contractor who BTW holds a commercial FAA pilots license) 

Actually:  http://venturebeat.com/2015/02/18/no-you-cant-shoot-down-drones-over-your-house/

Like I said, if you can point me to the law that says you can shoot a quadcopter out of the sky, link me to it. 

And the FAA on UAS - only talks about the list of flight hight, not flying over crowds and the common sense things (yes, I'm away not everyone has this).  https://www.faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft/

• Reply 14 of 14

I think that you are thinking about this backward, the thing that prevents some from shooting a drone out of the sky (where shooting is permitted) is federal (FAA) law. That law has limits, and one of those if a person feels physically threatened by the drone.