Next-gen Apple TV priced at $149, will include universal search for finding content across providers

Comments

• Reply 61 of 135
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Have you ever seen the credits for a top notch games? It's similar to the end credits of a movie. Hundreds of people work on creating those games.

Literally true. I sat through the credits for the last Saints Row game and it scrolled for like 10 minutes solid. There was even a list of every baby born during production.
  • Reply 62 of 135
    I've had this feature on my ROKU for years. Its awesome.
    Apple is so behind its pathetic.

Cross vendor is a great concept. But I'm speculating it won't include Amazon. Maybe not even VUDU. So its just the same old limited feature.

Apple Television coming..... Oh yea, I've had that too. My RokuTV is awesome. Great features, integration and speed -- with the best interface experience out there.

Will I get a new Apple TV box. This is not an automatic. I'm not even that excited about the proposed programming package changes. Aside from MLBTV and Netflix and over the air digital channels - I'm good.

I'm a huge Apple fan and product guy. But more and more, they deliver lower features at higher prices. I guess we will see.
  • Reply 63 of 135
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Can't expect much more than 16GB on a $149 device.

4k support can be added by software update.

Knowing how stingy Apple is with storage it will probably be 8GB. If 4K just requires a software update then that's not as big of a deal, but why not support it right away then?
  • Reply 64 of 135
    I get that functionality right now with my TiVo Roamio box. But you can have the best search in the world: finding what I want is not the issue; it's that when I get to the content I want, it has a huge padlock on it.

Ninety-nine percent of the searches I make successfully end up being a bust because, "The content provider has put a big padlock on this show. Please pay an extra $499.99 to watch this episode of 'Crap'."

I end up needing to have about 17 different accounts with 83 different content providers if I want to be able to see everything I want when I want it.

Want this? Go to iTunes. Want that? Amazon Prime. Oh, that one requires you to have a Netflix account. Ooops, you'll need Hulu for that one.

The TV landscape today is a joke. Yet, the only ones laughing are sitting in the top floor of the Comcast HQ in Philadelphia, with their Hollywood counterparts on video teleconf.
  • Reply 65 of 135
    Why would it have DVR function? Everything is coming from the cloud anyway so having a lot of storage I think is moot. Maybe with an announcement of a TV package where you would have the major networks and some cable channels the DVR would make sense, but I would prefer not to worry about setting a DVR or remembering to set a recording. I would much rather say "Hey Siri, put MR Robot" and it would find it on whatever service it finds it and continues playing where I left off, that's where I think Universal Search is important.

I can also see storage being important if they open the App Store and we start to download games or in app content. If that is the case, being able to connect other kinds of gaming controllers would be nice.
  • Reply 66 of 135
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

You are right.  There really is no need to have local stored DVR.

But I'd like to store movies, music, photos, and videos locally on the AppleTV.  Sort of like a home server for tech dummies.

Hopefully they sell different memory sizes

$149 - 16GB

$249 - 64GB

$349 - 256GB

You want Plex my friend :-)

• Reply 67 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Glad to hear $149. I hope that turns out to be true. I think Apple will get a lot more people to upgrade and a lot more first time buyers at $149. The only thing I'm still a little skeptical on is the major Siri integration. One, if Siri plays a major role I hope Apple has nailed the integration. It better be super fast and accurate. Two, I'm still a bit skeptical people want to control their TV primarily by voice control. So I hope there are other ways to search besides Siri. One thing that would be really great is only having to enter your cable/satellite credentials once and they pass through to all the apps that require them.

I'm betting that Apple would not support cable/sat integration.  The point is to get away from legacy content services like cable and sat in favor of Apps for content delivery.   Nintendo is canceling their Wii TV service which is essentially an overlay TV guide with search running on the Wii.

Apple would not want their support people to have to help grandmas and grandpas connecting their SD cable service to Apple TV.

• Reply 68 of 135
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    williamh wrote: »
    Roku has universal search so they're not really breaking new ground here.

The Microsoft Mediaroom had it even before that. Hell it's a default Windows 10 feature now.

It -does not work- the way people think it does though.

With Win10 I find it's attempt to figure out what I'm looking for worse than that of Win7. The (Telus) IP TV box (based on Microsoft Mediaroom) doesn't dive into the Netflix App because it's not integrated with the software, neither is the cable/dsl's competitor to Netflix (Shomi/Crave in Canada.) If you use the search feature it searches the live TV and the VOD, and also the PPV. It's a far cry from "good enough" though it's better than the (Shaw) Cable company's offering which the VOD is a nightmare of drilldown menus and features you have to subscribe to on their website.

Like if they want to know why people are cutting cords, I'd put "UI/UX is terrible, can't find anything", You'd think at the very least there would be a way to show "only subscribed" channels on the cable box (The IPTV box does this by default)

Overall what would be interesting, though I doubt we will see it from cable companies is a way to actually access the IPTV/VOD/PPV/PVR from the Apple box and search it just as easily. For those who don't want to subscribe to the ISP's TV offering, it's would just not be available.
  • Reply 69 of 135
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

So AI is quoting Buzzfeed now?

Buzzfeed is a joke, but this reporter has a good track record.

Buzzfeed may be a joke, but it's valuation is no -- or, depending on your point of view, even more of a -- joke! http://www.businessinsider.com/report-nbc-is-investing-in-buzzfeed-at-a-15-billion-valuation-2015-7

• Reply 70 of 135

I am still very curious how they will handle the experience of bringing apps to the TV.  The challenge with resolution scaling is one but my main concern is controlling and interacting with he app...Any thoughts how they can effectively do this?  One attracting feature for me would be the ability to play the games I already have on my TV with ease.

• Reply 71 of 135
    I am still very curious how they will handle the experience of bringing apps to the TV.  The challenge with resolution scaling is one but my main concern is controlling and interacting with he app...Any thoughts how they can effectively do this?  One attracting feature for me would be the ability to play the games I already have on my TV with ease.

"Siri, give us a hint." :D
  • Reply 72 of 135
    any info on 4K capability/content?
  • Reply 73 of 135
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    Apple has no incentive to run Plex.

Do you know of a media player which does not run Plex?
  • Reply 74 of 135
    Buzzfeed may be a joke, but it's valuation is no -- or, depending on your point of view, even more of a -- joke! http://www.businessinsider.com/report-nbc-is-investing-in-buzzfeed-at-a-15-billion-valuation-2015-7

Yes, crap sells! This is why Huffington Post, Business Insider and many other sites flood their sites with titillation and gossip along with the occasional well-researched and reported news.
  • Reply 75 of 135

"Siri bring back photo streaming from my computer at home!"

• Reply 76 of 135
    Disappointing.  Hope this is false.

$149 price means this won't be big jump from the original AppleTV.  Probabily won't have much more than 32GB onboard storage.

Looks like any DVR function will need to use iCloud.  Crap.

I was hoping for $199 for 64GB model and $299 for 256GB.
    Not really happy where this is heading.

1) this is a more expensive and possibly less capable version of FireTV - less capable in that voice search for a show will play that show on Amazon Prime vs just letting you know where you can view per this report.

Of course, it has the plus of being in the Apple ecosystem, which is a pretty significant point.

2) if there is a "starting at" price, then there sure as heck are tiers. I don't want to pay the Apple tax for on-device storage when I have terabytes of storage readily accessible on my network.

As long as the updated ?TV lets me utilize my network storage and doesn't force me to pay a huge markup for on-device storage then I'll be in line to purchase. If Apple tries to charge $300 for what is really $100 in storage then they can stuff it in their pipe and smoke it.
  • Reply 77 of 135

I hope there is more than this rumor. This is a minor spec bump to the ATV3 box I already have that is collecting dust. It collects dust just fine, so no need to get a slightly improved version with a new remote. Come on Apple, wow us with something new and not just another tweak to a hobby product.

• Reply 78 of 135
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    vision33r wrote: »
    I'm betting that Apple would not support cable/sat integration.  The point is to get away from legacy content services like cable and sat in favor of Apps for content delivery.   Nintendo is canceling their Wii TV service which is essentially an overlay TV guide with search running on the Wii.

Apple would not want their support people to have to help grandmas and grandpas connecting their SD cable service to Apple TV.

I'm talking about credentials you need for certain apps that still require a cable subscription. They still exist.
  • Reply 79 of 135
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

I hope there is more than this rumor. This is a minor spec bump to the ATV3 box I already have that is collecting dust. It collects dust just fine, so no need to get a slightly improved version with a new remote. Come on Apple, wow us with something new and not just another tweak to a hobby product.

The only thing that would wow me would be a jailbreak for the device.  Once we can get Kodi installed, the device will sell like hot cakes.

• Reply 80 of 135

I doubt 4k will be enabled by software. Perhaps that should wait till next hardware refresh.

But not brining it now would be a very disappointing surprise from Apple, especially if iPhone 6s is able to shoot 4k video.