First 'Steve Jobs' review calls film 'must-see,' hails Michael Fassbender's 'enthralling' performanc

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitol View Post

Honestly. I don't care for this. I don't care that this actor or director is well liked online or whatever. To me these films are the same mash of all the rest, and I'm tired of it. If the film is not an authorized works, its just another hack film using the subject matter to gain dollars.

By that logic there would never be another film ever made about anything in history ever again. History does not need to be "authorized" by anyone.

Are you saying that there should never be another film about the Vietnam War? Or World War II? Or the Civil War? Geese what is it with me and wars? 

Speaking of which did you ever see "Inglourious Basterds"? It's a completely "unauthorized" and enjoyable yet fictional take on World War II. 

• Reply 22 of 48
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by krreagan View Post

It's going to take a lot of imagination from me to visually replace SJ with MF!

I could see Ashton Kutcher, Justin Long & Noah Wyle as Jobs... But Fassbender??? I don't know.

And Seth Rogan... I would be totally insulted if I was Woz! He's an idiot (which he plays very well) and is nothing like Woz!

I think it will be fine as Michael Fassbender is an actual actor, unlike the others you mentioned. 

• Reply 23 of 48
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

By that logic there would never be another film ever made about anything in history ever again. History does not need to be "authorized" by anyone.

Are you saying that there should never be another film about the Vietnam War? Or World War II? Or the Civil War? Geese what is it with me and wars? 

Speaking of which did you ever see "Inglourious Basterds"? It's a completely "unauthorized" and enjoyable yet fictional take on World War II. 

Or Django Unchained! 

• Reply 24 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

Or Django Unchained! 

I dug that one too.

• Reply 25 of 48
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I'm going to assume it's told non-linearly, and hops back and forth across Steve's time line. That's all the rage nowadays.
    Nowadays as in the last 20 years at the very least ;)
  • Reply 26 of 48

This is what the production companies do when the movie sucks, to wring out any money they can get before it goes to DVD.

Enthralling! Superb! Wonderful!

• Reply 27 of 48

So, Woz says that he actually confronted Steve and demanded to know "what do you do"? :rolleyes:

No. Of course Woz knew what his friend Steve Jobs did and why he was there. Screenplays often combined characters (when adapting material from other media, such as novels or biographies) in order to maintain a certain dramatic focus and rhythm, at the cost of accuracy to the source material.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

In case you haven't been paying attention, Woz gives everything and everyone that shits on Apple + Steve Jobs a "thumbs-up". For a while, he was the official mascot of pretty much every Android phone out there. He's secretly always felt envious of the (deserved) credit Steve got, even though Steve made him a rich **** who has been doing nothing but living off his Apple stock for decades. So, in his mind anything that tears SJ down and makes him look better is awesome, which is obviously exactly what this movie does. Based on everything Woz has ever said, it's painfully clear he has never understood what has made Apple so successful, and he never will. It's sad. 

• Reply 29 of 48
    slurpy wrote: »
    In case you haven't been paying attention, Woz gives everything and everyone that shits on Apple + Steve Jobs a "thumbs-up". For a while, he was the official mascot of pretty much every Android phone out there. He's secretly always felt envious of the (deserved) credit Steve got, even though Steve made him a rich **** who has been doing nothing but living off his Apple stock for decades. So, in his mind anything that tears SJ down and makes him look better is awesome, which is obviously exactly what this movie does. Based on everything Woz has ever said, it's painfully clear he has never understood what has made Apple so successful, and he never will. It's sad. 

I think Woz knows there would be no Apple without Steve Jobs. Jobs radically transformed the lives and fates of the people around him in profound, and not always positive ways. But certainly noteworthy ways. In some parallel universe, Woz lived a nondescript life, never having met Jobs, never quitting his job at HP to cofound Apple, and none of us in that universe ever heard of him.

Woz and his defenders will say that Woz was the unappreciated tech wiz, blah blah. Which is just a teensy bit of self-serving historical revisionism, given that Woz was rewarded many times over. Woz did create a lot of technically clever things in the 1970s, like the Apple II's cheap color bitmap display and the Disk ][ drive mechanism. But his engineering contributions diminished over time, and he hasn't the engineering or entrepreneurial chops (or an unwillingness) to contribute to our tech landscape for the past two decades. The fact that he's still a folk hero to the "Slashdot crowd" (my term for the hard core IT techies who put him on a pedestal) only further diminishes his stature (IMO), since every unappreciated "I could burn this place to the ground" IT drone is simply projecting themselves on to Woz, and they "get where he's coming from."

Since all points of view are biased according to how the person experiencing it feels and thinks, it's important to get many perspectives. Woz is just one perspective. There are others who were there during those years at Apple, but they usually don't get interviewed by CNN.
  • Reply 30 of 48

If it wasn't for Woz, there never would have been an Apple. Could he have made Apple by himself? No, but SJ wouldn't have been able to start Apple without Woz.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    stourque wrote: »

If it wasn't for Woz, there never would have been an Apple. Could he have made Apple by himself? No, but SJ wouldn't have been able to start Apple without Woz.

Please. If there was no Ron Wayne there would have been no Apple either. That's an equally valid counterfactual to yours.

The larger point is, Woz has been a subsequent irrelevancy. Wonderful man, but utterly irrelevant to the Apple we know today.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    The last relevant thing Woz made was ADB.

It does not help arguments for him that he started a business with Gil Amelio and Ellen Hancock.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    paxman wrote: »
    Nowadays as in the last 20 years at the very least ;)

Further. Citizen Kane was non linear.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

The trailer didn't seem very good to me, but maybe it is worth a look after all.

• Reply 35 of 48
    hpodhpod Posts: 19member
    Aaron Sorkin originally wanted Tom Cruise to play Jobs, and had no idea who Fassbender was.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    hpod wrote: »
    Aaron Sorkin originally wanted Tom Cruise to play Jobs, and had no idea who Fassbender was.

Source?
  • Reply 37 of 48
    hpod wrote: »

Unless Sorkin is a director or producer, writers don't usually influence casting.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

Good job completely missing the point, which is that Woz has had zero influence on the direction that Apple ended up going, their decisions, and success. Yes, he contributed at its inception, but it ends there.

He was never onboard with the philosophy and vision that Jobs had, in terms of simplifying technology, and making it functional and beautiful to a much wider group of people. He's simply a geek, and that's fine, but it's always painful listening to his "advice" and critisism of what Apple "should" do throughout the years, especially considering that Apple became successful by doing the complete OPPOSITE of those things. It's always eye-rolling how everyone is so desperate to get Woz's "take" on Apple's latest moves, as if his opinion has any relevance or insight whatsoever. 

• Reply 39 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpod View Post

Source?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpod View Post

Unless Sorkin is a director or producer, writers don't usually influence casting.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/12/09/jeff-daniels-is-latest-hollywood-star-linked-to-aaron-sorkins-troubled-steve-jobs-biopic