Apple's iPhone 6s to feature always-on 'Hey Siri' functionality, source says

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

This already exists in car with Siri. Just plug it in, which I would assume the average person does because 1) it's a good time to get that power up going on anything more than 5 minutes, and 2) even using "Okay, Google" while the phone is shoved in your pocket would be a pretty bad experience.

Ya, is this really a big issue?  When I pull my phone out of it's case to use in my Car I generally plug it in.  Normally to juice it up a bit, but also because I may be using WAZE and GPS will drain a battery pretty fast. While doing that I'm streaming my music.   I rarely even use Siri while I'm driving.  If I did, it would be plugged in.  On short trips My radio just connects to my phone and I can hit play and the music I was streaming before will just start up and continue on.  So I don't even have to pull out my phone which is nice.  

Is this really a thing people have been asking for?  For me it would be way on the bottom on features I want.  

• Reply 62 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTBuzz View Post

Interesting.  My Amazon Echo responds to TV ads that use the Name Alexa.  Such as "Alexa, What is the News?".  I can see Apple Phones responding to "Hey Siri" when not wanted just as my Echo does.  This is not often , but it is funny when it happens.

My Xbox 360 would do this once in a while, while I was using it as a Media Center Extender, and something would trigger it.  Kind of annoying!

• Reply 63 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Also cue up the posts from those that previously thought this feature was a bad idea, but now that Apple is doing it think it's a great one.

Never thought it was a BAD idea.  I've always thought it was a pointless feature!!!  If I need to get out of phone when I go out and drive, I normally plug it in anyway.  Sometimes it's annoying when it just activates when you didn't want it to.

• Reply 64 of 67
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    jbdragon wrote: »
    My Xbox 360 would do this once in a while, while I was using it as a Media Center Extender, and something would trigger it.  Kind of annoying!

"Siri" isn't a popular human name. Or even a pet name. Alexa/Alexas/Alexandria is.

Xbox responds cause Microsoft sucks.
  • Reply 65 of 67
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Great, a bunch of people in a place can have their phones activated by someone yelling "Hey, Siri!" Well, maybe movie theaters can add that before the movie starts so people will their phones still on get called out.
    On the Motorola phones that implement this, you have to train it to recognize your specific voice saying "Okay, Google", and that's what it listens for when the screen is powered off, so someone else can't activate your phone by saying it. The cloned version of this in the iPhone 6s will almost certainly also have this feature, not only because of the concern you brought up, but also because it's the only way to do it without ruining battery life. Listening for a certain waveform can be done efficiently, but running the whole Siri voice recognition engine all the time would kill the battery.
  • Reply 66 of 67
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    On the Motorola phones that implement this, you have to train it to recognize your specific voice saying "Okay, Google", and that's what it listens for when the screen is powered off, so someone else can't activate your phone by saying it. The cloned version of this in the iPhone 6s will almost certainly also have this feature, not only because of the concern you brought up, but also because it's the only way to do it without ruining battery life. Listening for a certain waveform can be done efficiently, but running the whole Siri voice recognition engine all the time would kill the battery.
    They're doing the same as Moto as far as I know, with a dedicated chip that requires little power. Someone else more knowledgeable can probably confirm.
  • Reply 67 of 67

In iOS 9 it asks you to train your voice before you can turn on Hey Siri. It's not a simple switch like in iOS 8 but more like activating Touch ID.