Twitter for iOS update brings iPhone experience to iPad with responsive design

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
Ubiquitous microblogging service Twitter pushed out an update to its iOS app on Tuesday that features responsive design tweaks, meaning iPhone, iPad and iPod touch owners will see a more uniform user experience across their devices.

As noted on Twitter's official blog, iPad users will be most affected by the update. Owners of Apple's tablet can now create and view tweets using Twitter's retooled quoting system, browse trending topics and visit product and place pages, among other features previously reserved for iPhone.

In implementing this new design philosophy, Twitter is concentrating on specific characteristics: device type, orientation, canvas, size class and typography.

The company explains the process further, saying it thinks of the app as a pyramid where most features respond automatically like content width adapting to text size changes. Some assets need to be modified, like header widths across different device screens, leaving only a handful of features to be completely rethought.

Using this new approach will allow Twitter's app to more readily conform to new devices, screen sizes and operating system capabilities. For example, it was a relatively simple process to build in support for iOS 9's new split-screen multitasking view for iPad.

Twitter for iOS comes in at 62.7MB and can be downloaded for free from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    lol. I'll never use the Twitter or Facebook apps. Don't need them snooping my private life anymore then they already do.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

lol. I'll never use the Twitter or Facebook apps. Don't need them snooping my private life anymore then they already do.

I'm with you. I never could figure out Twitter early on and just gave up. I'd given up on Facebook 3-4 years back. Never miss either of them.

• Reply 3 of 7
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

I've never used Facebook.  And certainly wouldn't now -- I might have considered it back when it was only students or something (of course, I wasn't a student then).  But I can't imagine living without Twitter.  

I'm curious to see how this new version works on the iPad.

• Reply 4 of 7
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    9secondko wrote: »

Twitter doesn't snoop.
  • Reply 5 of 7

The changes must be for iOS 9 because it does not look obviously different under iOS 8.

• Reply 6 of 7

Well it's about effing time

• Reply 7 of 7
    moreck wrote: »
    Twitter doesn't snoop.

And in that same world, Shiggy doesn't make great games...