Apple ups AppleCare+ pricing for iPhone 6s, launches preorder preparation guide

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
In a pair of updates to its website on Wednesday, Apple revealed new, more expensive AppleCare+ rates for the soon-to-launch iPhone 6s and 6s Plus handsets, as well as a preparation guide and preorder tool for those looking to pick up one of the new models this weekend.




Under Apple's new warranty structure for iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, both of which were unveiled during Wednesday's special event, customers are now charged $129.99 for a two-year AppleCare+ plan. The program provides coverage for two accidental damage claims with a per-incident service fee of $99.99.

Apple has slowly increased AppleCare+ for iPhone fees as the devices integrate more sophisticated hardware, like larger and more expensive displays. In 2013, for example, Apple upped AppleCare+ deductibles to $79 per incident with an initial $99 fee. It should be noted that the same $99 rate is still applicable to iPhone 6 models.

AppleCare+ can be purchased within 60 days of an applicable purchase and covers repair or replacement of the iPhone, its battery and included accessories for two years. While Apple has kept its warranty service in house for years, it was recently reported that Best Buy will begin offering authorized AppleCare+ products in its stores this month.




In a separate addition to the online store section of its newly integrated product pages, Apple introduced an iPhone 6s preorder preparedness guide to help streamline the process ahead of Saturday. Each year Apple sees some type of delay or system failure due to the crush of customers placing orders.

Apple suggests customers visit a special site to check upgrade eligibility prior to entering the preorder process, a step that could waste precious time when attempting to secure a launch day iPhone. In addition, buyers can visit the "Get ready to pre-order iPhone 6s" section in Apple's official Apple Store app and select "Remember Me" to store their wireless account details for automatic retrieval when preorders begin.

Preorders for iPhone 6s and 6s Plus are slated to go live at 12:01 a.m. Pacific on Sept. 12.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 17
    I've searched everywhere - the Apple Store app, the web site itself - I don't see a "remember me" button anywhere. Anyone else having the same problem or found it?
  • Reply 2 of 17
    It is right at the top of the app. I see the options for AT&T next, but I do not see the option for Apple new phone every year option.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    I'm in the app and I do not see a button or phrase anywhere "right at the top" that says "remember me" relating to saving the order to "remember" what you entered as the article states/implies. There's not even an "add to,cart" function yet so it can't be that.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Had the same issue but figured it out. In the App go to your Account and you will see the Remember Me. If it is already On turn it Off. Then turn it back on. It will then prompt you to enter your account info there and then do the check. It is tied to your specific phone number for that device and it will not let you change the number. If you were planning to use another number on your account as the upgrade it will not let you change the number. My son's phone now has the Apple App on and is ready to go.

    Hope that helps everyone because it was bugging me yesterday till playing around with it last night. Good luck to everyone Saturday morning!
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Pre-order for the win!

    I will upgrade even though I have an iPhone 6plus. Ever since I became a parent I have upgraded every year as the camera is getting better and better and I want the best possible picture memories of our son. I am going to lobby for the better half to get a 6S from a 5S.

    I have noticed that the non-native apps on the Watch makes the iPhone a bit erratic in responsiveness. The added CPU performance will be a nice upgrade.

    I can't wait to have Live photos of my family as a Watch face! Life is good.

    PS. Does anyone know if the pre-order functionality allows for simultaneous trade-in of older iPhones?
  • Reply 6 of 17

    While Apple has kept its warranty service in house for years, it was recently reported that Best Buy will begin offering authorized AppleCare+ products in its stores this month.

     

    This is incorrect. Several years ago, Apple began allowing Authorized Apple Service Providers (AASP) to sell AppleCare+ for iPhone and more recently to service iPhones. BestBuy is in the process of becoming an AASP and thus able to sell AppleCare and provide service.

  • Reply 7 of 17
    If you're a yearly iPhone buyer that gets AC+ this adds $2.50 to your TCO, which helps to make Apple's program sound good since AC+ is included. If you buy every 2 years, then this adds $1.25 to the TCO.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post



    If you're a yearly iPhone buyer that gets AC+ this adds $2.50 to your TCO, which helps to make Apple's program sound good since AC+ is included. If you buy every 2 years, then this adds $1.25 to the TCO.



    $129 / 12 = $10.75. $129 / 24 = $5.38... plus tax where applicable. 

     

    Base iPhone 6s through carrier 0% financing = $27.04 + $5.38 = $32.42 monthly (both based on 24 months).

     

    Apple's program is $32 with AC+ included. If you keep it 24 months, it's paid for. 

     

    If you upgrade yearly, and usually pay for AppleCare +, then this would make TCO cheaper by about $5 monthly doing the trade-in with Apple. You're not dishing out $129 per year and only using it for 1/2 of its total usefulness. 

     

    The downfall with all of these programs is you never own the phone if you do the annual upgrade, since you have to turn in the phone, unless you pay off the remaining balance. 

  • Reply 9 of 17

    I am due for the upgrade and I am seriously considering going Apple iPhone upgrade route. One of the main reason that it is unlocked phone and I don't need to be tied to a provider and it also comes in handy when I travel overseas, as all I need is to drop in the SIM. Though I have few questions and maybe someone answer them


    • I keep hearing that this is a lease program. Can someone confirm it? I thought it is installation program, so that the payments are broken down to 24 months and the phone is mine after it has been paid off.

    • So, yes, I can change the phone after 12 months. I assume, I am basically selling back the phone and I have no further commitment towards that phone. So if the next phone costs the same, I am basically getting the latest phone with no payment changes. Can someone confirm this?

    • I have three phones on my AT&T account that are eligible. How can I participate in the Apple Upgrade plan and place the order on pre-order date for all three phones?

  • Reply 10 of 17
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,467member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

     

    I am due for the upgrade and I am seriously considering going Apple iPhone upgrade route. One of the main reason that it is unlocked phone and I don't need to be tied to a provider and it also comes in handy when I travel overseas, as all I need is to drop in the SIM. Though I have few questions and maybe someone answer them


    • I keep hearing that this is a lease program. Can someone confirm it? I thought it is installation program, so that the payments are broken down to 24 months and the phone is mine after it has been paid off.

    • So, yes, I can change the phone after 12 months. I assume, I am basically selling back the phone and I have no further commitment towards that phone. So if the next phone costs the same, I am basically getting the latest phone with no payment changes. Can someone confirm this?

    • I have three phones on my AT&T account that are eligible. How can I participate in the Apple Upgrade plan and place the order on pre-order date for all three phones?




    Pay all the payments and the phone is yours.

    Trade in after 12 months and get a new phone and new 2 year payment schedule.

    Upgrade them all but you wil have to visit an Apple Store to complete the process and collect the phones.

  • Reply 11 of 17
    $129 / 12 = $10.75. $129 / 24 = $5.38... plus tax where applicable.

    I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Are you saying my maths are wrong, because I think I was clear when I said that the increased cost of AC+ would result in an increased TCO.

    $30 ÷ 12 months = $2.50 month and $30 ÷ 24 months = $1.25 per month increase
  • Reply 12 of 17
    So it looks like if you do the Apple Upgrade program you have to pick up your phone in the store. If you go with a carrier plan, you can still have it shipped to your home?

    One issue I have run into is that when you buy a phone in the store, it has to be activated in the store. When you have the phone shipped to your home, you can activate it then.

    This becomes an issue when you are getting a phone for someone who will not be physically with you when you pickup the phones (i.e. a student at college, etc...).
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post





    I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Are you saying my maths are wrong, because I think I was clear when I said that the increased cost of AC+ would result in an increased TCO.



    $30 ÷ 12 months = $2.50 month and $30 ÷ 24 months = $1.25 per month increase



    If you buy from Apple, it's $1.25 per month more than before regardless if you pay it off (24 mos.) or trade it in (12 mos.). The cost of AppleCare+ doesn't changed. I was elaborating more on the cost breakdown of financing through Apple with AC+ included, versus buying AC+ separate and upgrading every year. 

  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by aross99 View Post



    So it looks like if you do the Apple Upgrade program you have to pick up your phone in the store. If you go with a carrier plan, you can still have it shipped to your home?



    One issue I have run into is that when you buy a phone in the store, it has to be activated in the store. When you have the phone shipped to your home, you can activate it then.



    This becomes an issue when you are getting a phone for someone who will not be physically with you when you pickup the phones (i.e. a student at college, etc...).



    When I bought my 6 from the Sprint store, I told them to leave it alone, and I'd activate it at home, since you only end up having to restore and redo everything to get everything properly restored from iTunes on your computer (music not from iTunes isn't backed up in iCloud). They had no problem doing that. 

  • Reply 15 of 17

    If you buy from Apple, it's $1.25 per month more than before regardless if you pay it off (24 mos.) or trade it in (12 mos.). The cost of AppleCare+ doesn't changed. I was elaborating more on the cost breakdown of financing through Apple with AC+ included, versus buying AC+ separate and upgrading every year. 

    The cost of AC+ doesn't change, which is why having it for 12 months v 24 months for a device you buy outright ABSOLUTELY makes a difference in your TCO when comparing it to Apple's new program which includes AC+ in the cost.

    My entire post, which you seemed to take issue with, was figuring the cost increase when comparing purchase options. Again, if you wish to do the same plan as last year or two years ago in terms of price for iPhone and AC+ purchase it will absolutely cost you $2.50 more per month if you hold onto your iPhone for one year, or $1.25 more per month if you hold onto it for 2 years.

    The only thing I can imagine going on here is you're saying AC+ is not automatically included with the Apple purchase program, but a separate expense.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Frustrated! Could someone screen shot the Remember Me button??? Please???
Sign In or Register to comment.