If you buy AppleCare+, Apple's new iPhone Upgrade Program is a great deal

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 118
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mosi76 View Post

FWIW, I spoke to an Apple Representative tonight over chat and the person I spoke to said that you could use your existing service. He did not think any current service obligations with a carrier mattered. In fact, I specifically asked if a SIM could simply be swapped over and he said yes. He said as long as the SIM was the same size, there would not have to be any interaction with the carrier.

Yes, but I bet you still have to Activate that phone on the line of service.  Meaning you have to give them the phone number etc. and they activate it with the activation charge.  The same as you do when getting a new phone under a 2 year agreement/contract.  That is using the same line of service that already exists but you still pay and have to "activate".    We'll see what peoples' actual experiences are when it comes down to it.

• Reply 102 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jrossjr View Post

Not true at all.  Up until now, a smartphone line on my At&t plan has cost $15.  If I go with the NEXT plan that will stay at $15.  If I get a 2-year contract phone (still available in select regions) that charge will go up to $40.  I verified this today at my local AT&T district store.  

Which is exactly what he was saying.   You don't really get a subsidy, you just pay for it in your service fee (which is $15 or $25 more) under contract.

• Reply 103 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

Yes, but I bet you still have to Activate that phone on the line of service.  Meaning you have to give them the phone number etc. and they activate it with the activation charge.  The same as you do when getting a new phone under a 2 year agreement/contract.  That is using the same line of service that already exists but you still pay and have to "activate".    We'll see what peoples' actual experiences are when it comes down to it.

That hasn't been my (or my daughter's) experience.  Pulling the SIM from one phone and putting it in the new one transfers the phone number in addition to the service.  No calls to the provider, no interruption in service, no additional charges on my bill.  My daughter did this with my wife's old phone just last week.

If you're talking about something else, my apologies.

• Reply 104 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BeowulfSchmidt View Post

That hasn't been my (or my daughter's) experience.  Pulling the SIM from one phone and putting it in the new one transfers the phone number in addition to the service.  No calls to the provider, no interruption in service, no additional charges on my bill.  My daughter did this with my wife's old phone just last week.

If you're talking about something else, my apologies.

Yes, if you can walk out of the Apple Store with the phone without having activated it, that will work.  I have done it myself many times.  In fact I have a 6 and a 6plus and swap SIMs between them occasionally.

Since Apple says in several places that you have to activate a line of service (which could include an existing line of service), I am betting that you can't just walk out of the Apple Store with the phone unactivated and swap SIMs.  They will require you to activate it through their system (which will transfer your existing number to the new SIM for example) and I am betting you will pay the AT&T activation fee.   It is administrative, not technical.

• Reply 105 of 118

Just activate it as a new line, then call and cancel saying the coverage stinks.  I am thinking of doing this with T-Mobile as the activating company and then when I get home, complain the coverage sucks and cancel.  

• Reply 106 of 118
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

This whole thing is giving me a headache. :)

But for me at least, it comes down to this: Convenience.  If I pay some extra amount (doesn't sound like much, really), it's worth it to me.  I can walk into the Apple Store each year, and walk out with a new phone.  No fuss, no muss.  Wham, bam, thank you ma'am.  

• Reply 107 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

That would be awesome if true, but I don't see that in the description on Apple's site...

"Getting a new iPhone every year is easy.

After 12 installments, you can get a new iPhone and start a new iPhone Upgrade Program. No more waiting for your carrier contract to end. Just trade in your current iPhone for a new one, and your new program begins."

In the discussion the period was 24 installments an not 12. With Apple's program the phone is all yours if you wait for 24 months, so no trade in required.

• Reply 108 of 118

Here's the difference (and I'm in Canada so correct me if I'm wrong about USA plans):  Your subsidized monthly charge should be higher by about $20/month because T-Mobile or whoever subsidized the phone for you.  If you bought the Apple upgrade option, you are effectively bringing in a free and clear unlocked phone to your carrier.  This should, (at least it did for me here), reduce your monthly charge by $20/month...or $20*24months=$480 of total extra savings.

Can you confirm this with your math?  Your monthly charge while on subsidy shouldn't be the same as your monthly charge with a free and clear phone.

• Reply 109 of 118
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member

unhappy with 98% of telecom industry profits, Apple now makes a grab for that last 2%! just wait until they become a MVNO.

then again, be careful what you wish for, Apple...

what are the two most hated commercial enterprises in the USA? cable tv and wireless phone service.

however, if Apple takes profits from Comcast, bully for them...

• Reply 110 of 118
    chadbag wrote: »

The problem with this is that, according to what Apple has said, their plan requires carrier activation. They just don't had you the phone for you to move the SIM over.

In the past when I have done (we are on a family plan and just use the contract terminated line for the upgrade), the sales people at the Apple Store were willing to do the SIM switch themselves - either physically or electronically.
  • Reply 111 of 118
    The catch is that this plan encourages you to buy AppleCare. That's not a problem for those who want it, but insurance plans like that are generally a bad deal for consumers ... unless you are somebody who routinely breaks your phone. Think about it. For an entry level phone, AppleCare adds an additional 20% to the cost of the phone whether you end up using it or not. Add in the $100 deductible for a replacement or repair and you are up to more than 30% in additional fees if you need to use it.

Case in point: My wife and I have had used iPhones for four years, and we have each owned two generations. That means we have owned four iPhones between us. Had we purchased AppleCare each time, we would have spent $516. The fact that we have never needed such coverage means we would be $516 behind right now. And ... since there is a $100 deductible, we would be $616 behind if we actually had to use AppleCare. Since the cost of a new 16gb iPhone is $650 and the iPhone will have likely devalued by the time you have to use the insurance, it is generally a bad deal.

Obviously, the insurance can work out for you if you purchase fewer phones, are prone to damaging your phone, etc. But added product insurance is, more often than not, a bad deal for the customer. That's why businesses sell it. The rewards for them are far greater than the liabilities. Customers are buying peace of mind when it would likely be cheaper for them to stash the insurance money in the bank and self insure. If you aren't terribly risk averse, you are still better off buying the phone at zero percent interest from a carrier and avoiding the AppleCare. That's true of almost all extended warranties. Long ago I worked retail and the retailers cared more about the insurance than actual product sales because the insurance had better margins.
  • Reply 112 of 118

Why would the be a phone access cost of $25? I'm currently on the unlimited plan and I've never had to pay that. Counting my wife we pay $50 for my family talk line plus 10 her line, then $30 for my unlimited data and $30 for her 3gb plan and finally another $30 for family messaging. So over two years I'd pay the following $3680 in monthly fees  + $600  for two new 64gb new iPhones +$90 in activation charges for a total of $4290 over two years. If i switched to the new 15gb shared package and got two new 64 gb iPhones my math works out like this: $130 *24 months for service and data=3120 plus $50*30=1500 to fully pay off two phones on the Next 24 plan. for a total of $4620 over two years of service and 30 Next 24 payments. So the savings of keeping my unlimited plan with two year contracts would be $330 over two years. Of course, having to pay a $25 per phone a month access fees would make me rethink things but I've never had to pay that before so I don't know why I would start now.

• Reply 113 of 118
    zroger73 wrote: »
    "Conventional" two-year contracts with subsidized pricing are still alive and kicking at AT&T. Also, you do own the phone at the end of the contract. I've been selling previous iPhones for more than I've paid for them for about 8 years now.

You've been selling your one- or two-year old phones for MORE than your original purchase price? Do your buyers not realize there are new phones available?
  • Reply 114 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You've been selling your one- or two-year old phones for MORE than your original purchase price? Do your buyers not realize there are new phones available?

His original "purchase" price is $199, $299, or $399 plus tax.  He is not talking about the complete "subsidized" price.

• Reply 115 of 118
    You got bad info from AT&T. Monthly on the Next plan is 5% of phones price. See chart above.
  • Reply 116 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Zandermannnn View Post

Does this still make sense if you don't care about having an unlocked phone? You will be paying back the full price of the phone and not the subsidized price.

Maybe this is obvious or i'm missing but for me it still doesn't make sense

Not for people who want to stay on the subsidized 2 year plans at the higher price points. It's meant for those of us that pay off our phones or use plans like ATT Next and have the reduced non subsidized  plans.

• Reply 117 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post

Not for people who want to stay on the subsidized 2 year plans at the higher price points. It's meant for those of us that pay off our phones or use plans like ATT Next and have the reduced non subsidized  plans.

It may be a moot point to make comparisons to subsidized pricing and 2-year contracts considering the immanent end of subsidies as we know them. I look for AT&T, one of the last, to announce the end of subsidies at any moment.

• Reply 118 of 118

"The iPhone Upgrade Program for the same 64-gigabyte iPhone 6s with AppleCare+ costs $36.58 per month for 24 months. That adds up to $877.92, or 8 cents less than you would pay upfront for an identical phone and warranty.

"

$36.58 represents the cost of a 64 GB 6S over a 24 month period on Apple's website. The actual monthly payments are determined after you add up the cost of phone with sales tax and the cost of AppleCare (which is not taxable) and your monthly payment is well over $40/month.

And yes, all phones are unlocked if you pay in full. Even if you buy an iPhone with a t-mobile sim card in it, you can swap the sim card with any other GMS service provider and it will work.