Apple's efficient M9 coprocessor will let your iPhone 6s track pace, make 'Hey Siri' always on

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member

Oh, what wicked fun we'll have. Transcript of a conversation I just had with Siri:

"Hey Siri, call my girlfriend."

'What is your girlfriend's name?'

"Siri."

'Hello, what can I do for you?'

"Call my girlfriend."

'What is your girlfriends name, first and last names?'

"Siri Apple."

'Here is what I found for Siri Apple.' (Displays local Apple store details.) 'Do you want me to save (local Apple store) as your girlfriend?'

"NO!" (I happen to be married.)

'Calling (local Apple store.)'

This is going to be fun. :no: 

• Reply 22 of 37
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

I'm a bit confused, I thought the whole point of the M8 being a standalone chip was so it could be operational all the time, while the A8 might be mostly spun down to save power.  Now they've integrated the M9 into the A9 wouldn't that mean that more of the A9 needs to be drawing power, having a greater power consumption implication?

If not, what was the point of the M8 being seperate in the first place?

• Reply 23 of 37
    After one too many false positives, I turned that off ages ago. And an always listening option will only make it worse. With Syria being in the news a lot at the moment, Siri probably wouldn't ever shut up! It's a useful feature in theory, but it just doesn't work in practice.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    jackansi wrote: »
    I can't wait to get in front of an audience in a few months and say over the PA: "Hey Siri, call mom" or "Hey Siri, text my wife/girlfriend that I'm leaving to join the circus".

Won't work. With iOS 9.1 Siri learns your voice and "hey Siri" will only work when you say it
  • Reply 25 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by UncommonAsian View Post

iPhone asks you to say "Hey Siri" three times, then "What's the weather like?" and one or two other phrases.

Changing Siri's language will have you retraining your voice, so do that before turning on Hey Siri.

So does that mean you can train Siri to respond to respond to something that doesn't sound anything like "Hey Siri"?  Something like "Yo, Slave Girl" or even the Klingon word for "Attention." :)

• Reply 26 of 37
    roake wrote: »
    Apple has to have figured out a way to do this reasonably securely.  Otherwise, your would have situations like some stalker walking up behind a pretty girl and loudly saying, "Hey Siri, text 1-505-223-2525 'I'm on the way.'" followed by a, "Yes," and he would have her cell phone number, if she had a new iPhone (wouldn't be so now if he did this two years from now when this technology was commonplace).  This dialog could be performed far faster than she could dig the phone out of her purse and abort the process.  If confronted, he could simply say he was talking to his own Siri.

Since commands can be given to Siri, people could probably think up far more nefarious examples that this, even.

I wonder what Apple's solution to this was.  If there is no solution, I would be shocked, and would anticipate the bad press starting in 3... 2... 1...

I just updated my iPhone 6 Plus with the iOS 9.1 beta. When it restarted I was taken through a number of steps to speak to Siri. I'm guessing this is to train Siri what your voice sounds like. It probably doesn't mean anything on my iPhone 6 but would answer your question about Siri responding at inappropriate times. I didn't find anything in the settings where I could repeat the process but this is only beta 1 of iOS 9.1.
  • Reply 27 of 37

So does that mean you can train Siri to respond to respond to something that doesn't sound anything like "Hey Siri"?  Something like "Yo, Slave Girl" or even the Klingon word for "Attention." :)

You really need to come out of your parents basement and get some sunlight.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    mcdark wrote: »
    After one too many false positives, I turned that off ages ago. And an always listening option will only make it worse. With Syria being in the news a lot at the moment, Siri probably wouldn't ever shut up! It's a useful feature in theory, but it just doesn't work in practice.

iOS 9.1 has you teach Siri your voice. I use have used Hey Siri since the feature became available and haven't had any terrorist news stories activate her asking for my attention. ????
  • Reply 29 of 37

Sorry about the snarky reply earlier. It's the Klingon thing. ????
    You can teach Siri to refer to yourself by a different name. Just tell Siri "call me your majesty" or whatever you want. (Possibly even a Klingon name) Then whenever she responds and includes your name she will use the new name. Almost as fun as 0/0 with similar results. ????
  • Reply 30 of 37
    lolliver wrote: »
    I haven't seen anything about this. Is it only for the new iPhones because with the beta version of iOS 9 on my 6 this was not the case.

It's in the iOS 9.1 beta.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Unsnarked.

• Reply 32 of 37
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I wonder if any of the content discovery for Siri is anywhere close to hitting iOS? Would be cool for Hey Siri to also be able to access podcasts and music that aren't in Apple apps.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ndirishfan1975 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackANSI View Post

I can't wait to get in front of an audience in a few months and say over the PA: "Hey Siri, call mom" or "Hey Siri, text my wife/girlfriend that I'm leaving to join the circus".

Won't work. With iOS 9.1 Siri learns your voice and "hey Siri" will only work when you say it

I'm still going to try this every chance I get.

Heck I might even write a little ditty about it and throw in a few stop-time "hey siri" requests.

I can't imagine it being anywhere near perfect.  This is Apple and Siri we're talking about...

• Reply 34 of 37

True Story. Was having sex, "Hey Siri" turned on in the middle of the action. Now I have to keep Hey Siri off. Always on Hey Siri scares me.

• Reply 35 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mnbob1 View Post

Fair enough.  It was the first thing that popped into my head. :) 

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnbob1 View Post

You can teach Siri to refer to yourself by a different name. Just tell Siri "call me your majesty" or whatever you want. (Possibly even a Klingon name) Then whenever she responds and includes your name she will use the new name. Almost as fun as 0/0 with similar results. ????

I was really wondering if I could teach Siri to recognize something that was not "Hey Siri" as the key phrase, or whether it had to be substantially phonetically similar to "Hey Siri".  It would be kinda cool.

• Reply 36 of 37
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    roake wrote: »
    Apple has to have figured out a way to do this reasonably securely.  Otherwise, your would have situations like some stalker walking up behind a pretty girl and loudly saying, "Hey Siri, text 1-505-223-2525 'I'm on the way.'" followed by a, "Yes," and he would have her cell phone number, if she had a new iPhone (wouldn't be so now if he did this two years from now when this technology was commonplace).  This dialog could be performed far faster than she could dig the phone out of her purse and abort the process.  If confronted, he could simply say he was talking to his own Siri.

Since commands can be given to Siri, people could probably think up far more nefarious examples that this, even.

I wonder what Apple's solution to this was.  If there is no solution, I would be shocked, and would anticipate the bad press starting in 3... 2... 1...

All men are rapists and mass hysteria!!

I swear every advancement in technology gets a welcome like this.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    mnbob1 wrote: »

That nickname is also used in the From and To field of any email you send or get.