iPhone 6s Plus expected to be constrained at launch due to backlight bottlenecks

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
With preorders underway for the iPhone 6s and its larger counterpart, the 5.5-inch iPhone 6s Plus is expected to see limited supply at launch, due to apparent production issues related to the handset's backlight.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities issued a note to investors on Monday, a copy of which was obtained by AppleInsider, revealing the apparent issues faced by Apple supplier Minebea. As a result, Kuo said, Apple has placed rush orders with competing supplier Radiant, in hopes of addressing the problem.

The analyst noted that shipping times for the iPhone 6s Plus are already pushed out 3 to 4 weeks after the official Sept. 25 launch. He expects a more severe shortage of the iPhone 6s Plus at launch, chiefly due to alleged production bottlenecks with the backlight module.

Radiant and Apple have worked together before, as the supplier creates backlight modules for the iPad mini. Given the fact that the iPad mini's 7.9-inch screen is relatively close to the iPhone 6s Plus's 5.5-inch display, Kuo believes Radiant may be "more skilled" at producing backlight modules in that size range than Minebea.

As a result, Kuo believes that new orders from Apple will boost Radiant's supply of iPhone 6s Plus backlights from about 40 percent to as high as 80 percent.

Apple announced earlier Monday that the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus are already on track to exceed last year's record setting iPhone 6 launch. A year ago, the iPhone 6 series debuted to sales of 10 million units in their first weekend --?a record this year's refresh appears poised to break.

Apple is launching iPhone 6s and 6s Plus in 12 countries, including Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Singapore, the U.K., and the U.S. That's larger than the iPhone 6 launch, which debuted in 9 countries and did not include China.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16

Here we go again ....

• Reply 2 of 16
    Is there a possibility that Apple contracting the other company could benefit those of us who had to order through our carrier and saw our orders completed at 3:02 AM EST get our deliveries pushed back to the end of October? AT&T seemed to be sold out of the 6S before preorders even began (I was able to log in for sale at 2:59 AM EST (11:59 PST) and still have a delivery date of October 16-23rd).
  • Reply 3 of 16

Does Ming-Chi Kuo have this standard set of notes that he publishes on Monday morning after every iPhone release and when there is a positive new on yet-another-record-sale? He never fails!

• Reply 4 of 16
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Apple's statement said orders for the 6S Plus exceeded their forecast. I think I'll trust Apple over supply chain noise.
  • Reply 5 of 16

I'm just glad for Apple (and me) that there is such a strong continuing demand for these new iPhones. The iPhone 6+ 128 I bought last year is the best iPhone ever. It still works great, and I get to turn it in for a new one—whenever it arrives (current estimate from AT&T: 23 Oct). No worries.

• Reply 6 of 16
    light 6S order and limited supply of 6S plus. Either way, Wall Street complain.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Anything to counter Apple's success/ stock increase.
  • Reply 8 of 16

"iPhone 6s Plus expected to be constrained at launch due to backlight bottlenecks"

This headline makes it sound like this is a given, a done deal, a general accepted truth, rather than what it is -- a note issued by one analyst. 

The article goes on to state that "Apple announced earlier Monday that the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus are already on track to exceed last year's record setting iPhone 6 launch."

Wait a minute, if there is a bottleneck, how can there be a record setting launch? Why would Tim Cook be making statements about a successful launch if there were severe supply constraints of the 6s Plus?

This article seems like clickbait FUD, at least the way it's presented by AI. I suggest modifying the headline to something like the following:

"ANALYST CLAIMS iPhone 6S to be constrained at launch due to backlight bottlenecks"

If you don't like claims, then PREDICTS, ASSERTS, or WARNS.

But at least say it's one guy's opinion rather than presenting his opinion as something that lots of people are expecting or accepting -- or am i being over picky lol?

• Reply 9 of 16
    I was lucky enough to snag a 64GB 6(S) in Space Gray although I had to wake up at 3AM EST... can't believe its already pushed back shipping at 3-4 weeks. Pretty excited to see this thing in action. I have a 6 in the same configuration and think it will help gradually working up to the larger screen.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Copy quickly and paste from last year, Kuo?
  • Reply 11 of 16

If Apple is expecting to see the type of demand stated earlier of 10M units of course certain configs are going to be tight.  The entire timeline of design testing and production leave Apple and partners with limited time to ramp up yields to begin with.  Then throw in epic demand and you will always be in this situation.  It is not a bad thing.  The key is to minimize the length of the supply shortage.  If you go to long it can have a negative impact either emotionally for the customer or financially for Apple.  No real surprises here.

• Reply 12 of 16
    Ming-Chi Kuo emptied the contents of his large intestine into a porcelain bowl filled with water, a copy of which was obtained by AppleInsider.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Ming-Chi Kuo emptied the contents of his large intestine into a porcelain bowl filled with water, a copy of which was obtained by AppleInsider.

Ha! Ha! Same contents from the same porcelain bowl from last year - I guess is is lot more fermented and resulted in more methane now!

• Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dbtwothree View Post

I was lucky enough to snag a 64GB 6(S) in Space Gray although I had to wake up at 3AM EST... can't believe its already pushed back shipping at 3-4 weeks. Pretty excited to see this thing in action. I have a 6 in the same configuration and think it will help gradually working up to the larger screen.

As of today, the  Apple website is still listing a September 25th delivery date for the 64GB  6s in Space Gray, regardless of carrier.

• Reply 15 of 16
    I hope this isn't the case... Don't wanna wait longer just because I ordered the 6S Plus.
  • Reply 16 of 16

Interesting piece of information I actually managed to get from AT&T about the 6S plus.  Since they're being extra difficult about signing a 2 year contract and demanded we only do so from them, they sold out pretty much immediately on the 6S plus.  I questioned them on it and it was only after I got to the third person that they admitted that NONE of their 6S plus orders would be shipping before October 16th.  At which point they blamed Apple for constraining their orders. So for those of you who ordered one direct from AT&T, good luck getting it in any reasonable amount of time (this whole scenario could have been avoided if the $%^!@#%@#'s at the top of AT&T would stop obsessing with trying to look good to the press while simultaneously making signing a 2 year contract more difficult. . .I could have had a 6S plus on launch day 12 hours later on Apple's site).