New iPhone Upgrade Program seen driving upgrades, giving Apple more control of customer relationship

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    One thing is not at all clear. If I pay for 2 years on the update program, is the phone mine then?

Because of sales tax it looks like a really bad deal to do the one year upgrade to me. And I have never wished I had %uF8FF Care once in the 8 years I have been buying these.

And who uses ATT or Verizon anyway, when Straight Talk gives me unlimited talk, unlimited text, and 5 Gs of data before they throttle you back for $46/month including tax. I have had Straight Talk for 3 years and have helped friends put in their nano-sims and get set up. It's been getting easier every year. 2 years ago I had to phone to get the data active with a lot of typing, but they have gotten much better. It took about 45 minutes longer to set up to keep one friends ATT number, the transfer was all online, but you just had to go have a cup of coffee while you waited. I am curious how smooth it will go on the 25th when everyone is doing it at the same time on Straight Talk. And for my wife I'll be moving her PacBell land line number. I am sure there will be some hitches, but it needs to be done for the human race to evolve.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by portcity View Post

One good thing about the carriers iPhone plans is that they do not require your credit to be pulled in order to get an installment plan. With Apple you get the installment plan but your credit score will go down some.

I'll see what happens after I sign up but paying off your debts and credit cards on time does a whole lot more for your credit score than taking out a small loan. As it is, I'll use my Costco Amex card for these payments and get an additional 1% back. 

My credit scores are 817/822 with two mortgages, a truck payment, and extra credit cards I never use but are difficult to actually get rid of. I pay my bills on time. If my credit score drops a bit lower it won't hurt me at all. (crossing my fingers)

• Reply 23 of 55
    If you get the phone from Apple and after one year upgrade to the next model, how do the contents of your current phone get transferred to the new phone? You guys are all smarter than me, pardon my ignorance.
  • Reply 24 of 55
    sog35 wrote: »
    Genius move by Apple.

Most people don't want to mess with dealing with 2 year contracts.  Selling their old phone and then buying a new phone.  

Just pay about $30 a month and get a new iPhone every year.  Plus you don't have to worry about accidental damage with AppleCar. This is basically the most frictionless plan as possible.  It may come to a point where you just can lease a new phone with your AppleID.

At this point the carriers (AT&T, Sprint, ect) are just dumb pipes.
    do you really think Apple has anything to deal with carriers on this? I don't think so. This is a brilliant way to fend off cheap android phones in emerging markets. Now, everyone can afford one.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by travelin jack View Post

If you get the phone from Apple and after one year upgrade to the next model, how do the contents of your current phone get transferred to the new phone? You guys are all smarter than me, pardon my ignorance.

Well, the easiest way is to store some of it on iCloud.  Then simply sync the new phone with your iTunes to load all of your music, videos, pics, etc.

• Reply 26 of 55
    have you ever sync your phone?
  • Reply 27 of 55

I am not sure if it is such a good deal. I don't care if I update my phone every year, but if I did, I would want it paid off first before I got a new one, instead of extending a payment plan. I can add applecare + on to my iphone and still be paying the same price. Just adding a new phone every year and extending my payment plan another 24 months does not make sense. Pay off your phone in a year or less, sell it, and then get a new one. You have no idea what apple will offer on trade in after you signed the contract.

• Reply 28 of 55
    chronart wrote: »
    One thing is not at all clear. If I pay for 2 years on the update program, is the phone mine then?

Because of sales tax it looks like a really bad deal to do the one year upgrade to me. And I have never wished I had %uF8FF Care once in the 8 years I have been buying these.

And who uses ATT or Verizon anyway, when Straight Talk gives me unlimited talk, unlimited text, and 5 Gs of data before they throttle you back for $46/month including tax. I have had Straight Talk for 3 years and have helped friends put in their nano-sims and get set up. It's been getting easier every year. 2 years ago I had to phone to get the data active with a lot of typing, but they have gotten much better. It took about 45 minutes longer to set up to keep one friends ATT number, the transfer was all online, but you just had to go have a cup of coffee while you waited. I am curious how smooth it will go on the 25th when everyone is doing it at the same time on Straight Talk. And for my wife I'll be moving her PacBell land line number. I am sure there will be some hitches, but it needs to be done for the human race to evolve.
    you pay tax anyway regardless where you buy the phone. The factor here is AppleCare that you must pay to get iT from Apple.
  • Reply 29 of 55
    I'll bet you won't be able to preorder the iPhone 7 if you do this... You'll have to wait so you can trade in your 6s
  • Reply 30 of 55
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I wonder if AT&T et al will soon start charging a fee or extra to connect an unlocked iPhone? They are losing out to folks dropping land lines, dropping cable subscriptions in favor of using Netflix etc. Now they lose buyers with two year contracts They must be starting to feel unloved... I wonder if there is a seismic shift coming to cellular providers in the near future.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    I'm terrible at navigating cellular plans and payment systems. My Dad has 4 people on an AT&T Family plan. We been on it for a long time and it is "unlimited". Any time one of us gets a new phone we are careful to not let them change the plan in any way so we don't undo the unlimited data.

He pays $261 a month, divided by four is $65 per person. What no one has mentioned is how much you have to pay a company such as AT&T when you want to use an unlocked phone. I wonder if it would make any sense for us to move to Apple's new upgrade plan? Surely our allegedly "unlimited" data would not survive.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    welshdog wrote: »
    I'm terrible at navigating cellular plans and payment systems. My Dad has 4 people on an AT&T Family plan. We been on it for a long time and it is "unlimited". Any time one of us gets a new phone we are careful to not let them change the plan in any way so we don't undo the unlimited data.

He pays $261 a month, divided by four is $65 per person. What no one has mentioned is how much you have to pay a company such as AT&T when you want to use an unlocked phone. I wonder if it would make any sense for us to move to Apple's new upgrade plan? Surely our allegedly "unlimited" data would not survive.

I just checked as I had the same question. AT&T offer $300 off per year if you have your own unlocked iPhone, which is less than the Apple plan will cost so it seems they are resisting Apple's move. If another provider offers +400 off a plan per year they'd get a lot of AT&T switchers I bet. Someone mentioned you own the Apple plan iPhone after year, if true you do have it to sell, so that needs to be factored in.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    fallenjt wrote: »
    you pay tax anyway regardless where you buy the phone. The factor here is AppleCare that you must pay to get iT from Apple.

There will be a lot of one year old, second hand iPhones available a year after this starts too which might be a nice alternative.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    Samsung to copy this in 3,2,1...
    (That's when you know it's a good idea.)

Remember back when we could only buy our phones through carriers? The groundwork for this new upgrade program was laid down years before, since the start of the iPhone.

Edit: Hit Submit too fast...
  • Reply 35 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by portcity View Post

One good thing about the carriers iPhone plans is that they do not require your credit to be pulled in order to get an installment plan. With Apple you get the installment plan but your credit score will go down some.

They all have some form of credit check, underwriting rules they follow. Don't be fooled.

Having your credit checked ONCE isn't going to bring down your credit score significantly (a few points at most). Everyone's changes on a daily basis. Get over the fear.

• Reply 36 of 55
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

Great move by Apple as it lessons the control that carrier pricing might have had on iPhone in the future - a bit of an insurance policy.  It has some lock-in effect as noted, compared with a carrier plan, as it restricts the upgrades to iPhone vs. "any phone" at a carrier.  Also, this + the installment plans that carriers have introduced are actually better for the premium phone segment, as phones can be purchased with essentially no down payment (it isn't $200 upfront anymore, for example).  

So the "gloom and doom" scenario from last year - lookout iPhone when the carriers in (US / Japan / some West Europe) move away from subsidizing phones.  So what is the doomsday scenario this year?

All just the beginning.  If needed, Apple can do a similar thing with the Apple Watch.

• Reply 37 of 55
    So I have about $360 left to pay for my 6 with Verizon. I'm guessing I would need to pay off the 6, then get into the Upgrade Program for a new 6S Plus (it's the eyes). At that point, I could turn around and sell the 6. I'd lose money on the 6, but recouping some is not a bad thing either, or I could keep it as a backup.
  • Reply 38 of 55

If you keep it two years you do not pay the sales tax every year.  Every year is a big disincentive for me.

• Reply 39 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

do you really think Apple has anything to deal with carriers on this? I don't think so. This is a brilliant way to fend off cheap android phones in emerging markets. Now, everyone can afford one.

Except that this is an American-only deal underwritten by an American bank ... not a possibility in emerging markets.

• Reply 40 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Details...you've missed them. LOL