Apple says iOS 8 on 87% of compatible devices days before iOS 9 launch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I see some iOS 9 reviews have already started to drop. And the memo went out, the template has been set. "Revolutionary" is the buzz word this year. I can save people time reading these reviews:

iOS 9 isn't revolutionary, just an incremental update that borrows heavily from Google and Microsoft and still doesn't do everything I want but since it's a free update and it didn't brick my phone yeah you might as well go ahead and upstate.

Why is this even in your sentence? Who cares what vague interpretation makes that somewhat true? If its not an iPhone, its not an iPhone. Until the iPhone can do it, it doesn't matter.

• Reply 22 of 38
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    pmz wrote: »
    Why is this even in your sentence? Who cares what vague interpretation makes that somewhat true? If its not an iPhone, its not an iPhone. Until the iPhone can do it, it doesn't matter.

Perhaps my post wasn't clear; these aren't my opinions they're the condensed version of the media/Tech reviews/theme I've read so far. It's as if a memo went round to all the journalists saying make sure you note iOS 9 isn't revolutionary, borrows heavily from Google and Microsoft and oh yeah Apple is still doomed.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

My iPad 3 was made barely useable when I upgraded to iOS 8, so I quickly advised my friends and family who had iPad 2 or 3 not to upgrade, most are still on iOS 7.

iOS 8 was a poorly optimised bag of hurt for people with older devices when it was released, although subsequent updates have alleviated this a bit.

I'm still one of those who felt screwed when the iPad 3 was tossed to the curb such a short while after launch, got burned on that purchase. 2 years old £500 device essentially bricked by iOS 8!

Grow up and drop the hysteria please. I actually have an iPad 3, and 2 and 4 for that matter. They all run iOS 8 just fine. Were there some slowdowns in the .0 release? Sure, you bet. But that's a far cry from "bricked" or "barely useable". Side by side, you'd be hard pressed to actually find a meaningful difference between iOS 7 and 8.4 on the iPad 3.

• Reply 24 of 38
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spheric View Post

I'm surprised at how well my old iPad 2 runs iOS 8. It's really okay for casual use.

I'm happy ours runs iOS 8, but I wouldn't say that it runs it well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

My wife updated to iOS 8 on her iPad2 a few weeks ago (she got fed up of being nagged about the update) and now spends all her time yelling at it because it's so slow and constantly crashes. The biggest issue is the message 'this webpage encountered and error and so was reloaded'.

I've been suffering with iOS8 on my iPad 3 since it came out, so have got used to how awful the experience is, but we're both hoping iOS 9 is a little better.

This has been my experience with iOS 8.  I'll be putting iOS 9 on it as soon as it's released and I have the time.  I too have heard only good stuff about how much better it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by proline View Post

Grow up and drop the hysteria please. I actually have an iPad 3, and 2 and 4 for that matter. They all run iOS 8 just fine. Were there some slowdowns in the .0 release? Sure, you bet. But that's a far cry from "bricked" or "barely useable". Side by side, you'd be hard pressed to actually find a meaningful difference between iOS 7 and 8.4 on the iPad 3.

Wow, I didn't get the hysteria or childish impression from Zoolook's post.  He is just stating facts for his devices.

Maybe he (and me for that matter) are running background services you aren't, who knows?  Just because you haven't experienced the same issues doesn't invalidate the comments made.  My kids are fine using the iPad 2 that we have because they don't know any better, personally I use it as little as possible because it drives me insane how slow it is.  I'm looking forward to iOS 9 and hoping it lives up to the hype for older devices...

• Reply 25 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I see some iOS 9 reviews have already started to drop. And the memo went out, the template has been set. "Revolutionary" is the buzz word this year. I can save people time reading these reviews:

iOS 9 isn't revolutionary, just an incremental update that borrows heavily from Google and Microsoft and still doesn't do everything I want but since it's a free update and it didn't brick my phone yeah you might as well go ahead and upstate.

for the most part I agree, although two words ('ad blocking') may be critical to the early ipad experience.  Removing 30-90% of the ad cruft will hopefully breathe new life into my iPad2, as it pretty much just does NetFlix, Safari, and TweetBot.

• Reply 26 of 38
    Apple is doomed! Apple fails to get 100% adoption rate with launch of iOS 9 looming.

On a serious note, it's fantastic to see 87% adoption especially with all the iOS devices out there.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

People with iOS 7 and older are less likely to visit the App Store given that many apps aren't compatible. It's a valid question.

I don't know of any App's that don't work with iOS7.  iOS6, yes there are some, but iOS7?!?!  

On the other hand look at Android.  So many Apps work on some Android phones and not other Android phones.  So many different versions of Android all out at once has made Apps a mess.

I assume most of those still on iOS7 are those with a iPhone 4S.  Didn't want to slow their phones down worse with iOS8.  Even though they can also run iOS9, won't upgrade to that either.  

When I had my iPhone 4 for 4+ years, there wasn't a App I couldn't run on it.  I couldn't upgrade to iOS8 at that point and my phone was getting pretty poky at that point with iOS7.  

Why not list some Apps that can't run on iOS7!!!  After all you said MANY!!! So this should be easy for you.   I know you're a Apple hating troll.  This is what you do.

• Reply 28 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

My iPad 3 was made barely useable when I upgraded to iOS 8, so I quickly advised my friends and family who had iPad 2 or 3 not to upgrade, most are still on iOS 7.

iOS 8 was a poorly optimised bag of hurt for people with older devices when it was released, although subsequent updates have alleviated this a bit.

From what I've read iOS 9 is supposed to give a bit of life back to the older iPads, I hope that's the case.

I'm still one of those who felt screwed when the iPad 3 was tossed to the curb such a short while after launch, got burned on that purchase. 2 years old £500 device essentially bricked by iOS 8!

I have iOS8 on my iPad 3, and you're right.  It's very poky!!!    I can see why Apple  Updated 6 months later, but maybe Apple could have delayed the Retina screen for the iPad 4 instead and then I would have waited to buy one.  The iPad 2 is faster then the 3 because it doesn't have the Retina screen.

I'd like to get the iPad Pro, but I don't know,......

• Reply 29 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

for the most part I agree, although two words ('ad blocking') may be critical to the early ipad experience.  Removing 30-90% of the ad cruft will hopefully breathe new life into my iPad2, as it pretty much just does NetFlix, Safari, and TweetBot.

Adblockers won't work on the iPad 2, so you're out of luck. That's a 64-bit only feature.

• Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by proline View Post

I have a iPad 3 with the latest iOS8 on  it and it's pretty POKY!!!!  Sometimes worse then others.   Killing all the background tasks seems to help, but it is in fact very POKY!!!  I have to wait for many seconds just for a Keyboard to pop up as a example.  I can only hope iOS9 will help things a bit?!?!?   It doesn't run iOS8 just fine.  It runs it, sure, but it's SSLLLOOOWWWWW.   I generally expect this as time moves forward, the OS gets larger and more complected and so do the Apps.  The hardware needs to get faster and faster to keep up.

The iPad 3 when launched was pretty speedy.  But Apple clearly saw issues with it which is why the iPad 4 was released 6 months later with a big processor boost and the lightning connector switch.  I think Apple also changed to a better screen that wasn't so power hungry. 

Put it this way, the iPad 2 is faster then the iPad 3 because it doesn't have the Retina screen.  The iPad 4 is what the ipad 3 should have been from the start.

• Reply 31 of 38

iOS 9 just dropped....

• Reply 32 of 38
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    sevenfeet wrote: »
    iOS 9 just dropped....

Downloading... iPad2
    Let you know later
  • Reply 33 of 38
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Up and running on Ye olden venerable iPad2 - no issues.
    Haven't seen the "dreaded" web page error once since upgrading.
    Seems nice and smooth.
    Can't comment on battery life yet.
    cheers,r
  • Reply 34 of 38

There's a sizeable market of iOS device running 7 that are just used as displays at hotels, stores for customer or as POS cash registers and runs custom apps.  They don't need updating to the latest iOS.

• Reply 35 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Wow, I didn't get the hysteria or childish impression from Zoolook's post.  He is just stating facts for his devices.

Maybe he (and me for that matter) are running background services you aren't, who knows?  Just because you haven't experienced the same issues doesn't invalidate the comments made.  My kids are fine using the iPad 2 that we have because they don't know any better, personally I use it as little as possible because it drives me insane how slow it is.  I'm looking forward to iOS 9 and hoping it lives up to the hype for older devices...

No I disabled everything. My iPad 3 isn't bricked or useless, but it can be painfully slow especially on Safari. My wife's iPad 2 is far worse. Funnily enough she just asked me about 10 mins ago when she can get the "new iOS" - she's never cared about updates or anything until she accidentally went to iOS8. And honestly, the iPad 2 performance is really woeful on iOS8... on 7 it was pretty good, and on 6 it really flew.

The problem is Apple really wants to report than 90% of its user base are on the latest OS and contrast that with Google's fragmented Android platform. OK, great but you either need to make sure that your older devices run the new software, or keep supporting the older software that they can run on.

As an aside, the sniffy comment above about childish responses etc, is one of the reasons why I don't really get into the conversations on this forum. It's one thing to go to some generic tech site and rip apart people who constantly attack Apple with no reason, and no experience of their products, and who just want to root-kit their devices etc. Sure, ignorance should always be mocked. But this forum is one of the few I know where even genuine Apple aficionados get ripped apart for the slightest (often very accurate) criticism of Apple. It's really toxic and unnecessary, and doesn't contribute anything to the discourse. Anyone who says "I have this device and zero problems" is always lying. Always.

People often say the worst thing about Apple are the fans, and as an Apple fan myself, I find it hard to disagree.

• Reply 36 of 38
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RobM View Post

Up and running on Ye olden venerable iPad2 - no issues.

Haven't seen the "dreaded" web page error once since upgrading.

Seems nice and smooth.

Can't comment on battery life yet.

cheers,r

Unfortunately I had ~ 5 of them in 15 minutes of web browsing.  It was enough for me to turn it off and go back to using the iPhone to look stuff up when I'm sitting on the couch.  The wife and kids might be able to put up with it but that was too much for me.

Overall it seems a little quicker, however I think it's too early to make a final judgement.  For example this morning I had to reboot it because it wouldn't swipe between grids on the home screen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

As an aside, the sniffy comment above about childish responses etc, is one of the reasons why I don't really get into the conversations on this forum. It's one thing to go to some generic tech site and rip apart people who constantly attack Apple with no reason, and no experience of their products, and who just want to root-kit their devices etc. Sure, ignorance should always be mocked. But this forum is one of the few I know where even genuine Apple aficionados get ripped apart for the slightest (often very accurate) criticism of Apple. It's really toxic and unnecessary, and doesn't contribute anything to the discourse. Anyone who says "I have this device and zero problems" is always lying. Always.

Agreed...

• Reply 37 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Unfortunately I had ~ 5 of them in 15 minutes of web browsing.  It was enough for me to turn it off and go back to using the iPhone to look stuff up when I'm sitting on the couch.  The wife and kids might be able to put up with it but that was too much for me.

Overall it seems a little quicker, however I think it's too early to make a final judgement.  For example this morning I had to reboot it because it wouldn't swipe between grids on the home screen.

I have noticed a slight lag on my iPhone 6 after upgrading. When clicking an icon like mail, it pauses for very split second before responding and then launching. There is also some lag scrolling around the home page and I noticed some judder on FaceBook when scrolling and some other apps; Pulse, News republic and The Guardian.

Maybe they just need to update their apps to adjust, but my very first impression is that it is not quicker on what is effectively the most recent Phone you can currently buy.

My iPad 3 seems the same as before, but certainly not worse.

• Reply 38 of 38

I've been noticing some stuttering on my 5.  So far performance isn't as good as it was on 8.4.  I hope there is still some indexing stuff going on in the background slowing the system down.

If someone asked me today "does is bring new life to old hardware" I'd have to say no.  It's not as bad as what 4.0 did to the 3G but it is a noticeable slowdown.  I can live with it but hopefully it'll get better.