Apple researching earphones with embedded pressure sensors for better sound

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2015
An updated patent filing published Wednesday suggests Apple is revisiting a pressure-sensing earphone design that promises to deliver higher quality sound by customizing output based on a user's ear size.

Source: USPTO

Apple's patent application for "Pressure sensing earbuds and systems and methods for the use thereof" makes a number of claim modifications to the original grant issued in 2011 by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, though both filings describe a system by which an earphone delivers optimized sound on a per-user basis.

Standard in-ear headphones, including Apple's EarPods, do not achieve an airtight seal with a user's ear canal, which in turn affects acoustics. While not technically a degradation of sound quality, and barring outside factors like ambient noise, an earphone's frequency response changes depending on how well it seals with surrounding skin.

To compensate when an earphone doesn't quite fit, Apple proposes a product capable of dynamically altering volume levels over a range of audible frequencies based on ear size. Instead of manually measuring a user's anatomy, the patent estimates dimensions informed by data from pressure sensors embedded in an earphone, earbud or over-the-ear headphone.

In some embodiments Apple calls for the use sensors made from a class of elastomeric material called Quantum Tunneling Composites. When force is applied to a QTC, its electrical resistance drops proportionally in known quantities, meaning said force can be measured. Other suitable sensors include piezoelectric or capacitive units.

Depending on earphone type, QTC pressure sensors are arranged in a pattern where they are most likely to come in contact with a user's ear. Measuring changes in force, or lack thereof, provides a rough estimation of ear size that can be used to process volume output. In some cases, the system constantly refreshes pressure readings to dynamically adjust levels.

To ensure an earphone delivers a consistent audio experience for different size ears, an onboard processor matches incoming pressure data with an index of optimal aural profiles, attenuating output to achieve the desired frequency response. This library allows for either general "small, medium, large" adjustments or fine tuning, depending on system sensitivity and user preference.

As for Apple's claim changes, the company is now protecting embodiments covering occluding (sealed) earphones and over-the-ear headphones where it previously only claimed non-occluding earbuds. While not proof that such a product is nearing market, the tweak in wording opens the door to speculation, especially considering Apple's purchase of headphone maker Beats.

Apple's pressure-sensing earphone patent application was first filed for in May 2015 and credits Jonathan Aase as its inventor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    This will be interesting. I actually like the quality of the EarPods, they're much better than prior buds.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

I've always been fascinated with Apple's efforts in this space. Its one of the few areas where they have a harsh price ceiling and need to innovate as much as possible within it. How to make the best pair of $20 headphones on the planet. They sound better than some $99 sets.

Personally I've moved on to a fascinating set of Lightning headphones made by Phillips...but I always appreciate having the EarPods nearby as well.

• Reply 3 of 11

As long as I am in quiet surroundings, I am actually pretty amazed with the sound of the present EarPods.

But I will always welcome improvements.

• Reply 4 of 11
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    I love my EarPods and also would welcome a more sealed in-ear version. I've bought lots of headphones and you have to spend at least $200 to get something that sounds better. For $25, EarPods are a ridiculously good pair of earphones. Totally underrated.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    There are still companies out there worth acquiring which make quality headphones. Beats need not be the last one.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

I've noticed with my Sennheiser ear buds that the sound (especially the bass) changes tremendously depending upon which sized rubber cap I use and it's not necessarily more bass with the larger caps.   There's seems to be a "sweet spot" with the size.    I also have noticed (although this may be an anomaly in my physiology) that if I open my mouth wide, I get better bass.

While the Apple patent sounds interesting, I don't see how adjusting the frequency response curve can ever fully make up for the lack of a seal.   Back before A/V receivers, hi-fi systems used to contain a "Loudness Compensation" switch which boosted the high and lows at low volumes, based on the Fletcher-Munson curves which detailed how we perceive high and low frequencies at different volume levels.   I don't think anyone has used such a concept in a music player, but they should, but that wouldn't make up for the loss of a seal either.

While I think the Sennheiser's (which I think I paid $99 for) do sound better than the Apple stock buds, the rubber tips keep falling off and getting lost and every portable Sennheiser I've ever used has an incredibly crappy cable or plug, which eventually fails.  

• Reply 7 of 11
    I've always loved my iPhone headsets my only reluctance was the cord itself. This had more to do with "life" going on around me - 2 and 4 year old pulling at it when picking them up, bending over to grab something getting them caught onto something, riding on my daily 26 mile bike ride having to store my iPhone behind me in the pouch for safety forcing to wrap my earbuds around and behind my head, etc certainly nothing Apple was responsible for. Then Apple bought Beats so I gave their Powerbeats2 wireless headset a try. Wow. Like everyone else on here I too loved the quality of the original iPhone headset but now the Apple Powerbeats2 wireless earbuds has amazing sound. Exactly the same as Beats Studio over the ear headphones. Once I took off the small default earbud and replaced it with the largest flexible earbud it does exactly what Apple is now trying to do with this patent: seal in the sound. The larger option seals the sound in and that's how you get solid bass and super clear high end. You do have to adjust the headset itself to make them sit straight in the ear rather than point downwards like one of those old Bluetooth ear piece for phoned but the combination of both gives an amazing sound in a super comfortable fit. They also allow me to contact Siri to send and read texts, email, directions, answer and make calls all from the headset never having to pull my iPhone out ever similar to the ?watch. Glad I can now call these "Apple wireless earbuds".
  • Reply 8 of 11
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Back before A/V receivers, hi-fi systems used to contain a "Loudness Compensation" switch which boosted the high and lows at low volumes, based on the Fletcher-Munson curves which detailed how we perceive high and low frequencies at different volume levels.   I don't think anyone has used such a concept in a music player, but they should, but that wouldn't make up for the loss of a seal either.

Do you mean something like the EQ settings already available in the Apple iOS music player?

• Reply 9 of 11
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by linkman View Post

Do you mean something like the EQ settings already available in the Apple iOS music player?

That's not quite the same, although I do use those settings.   The EQ settings in the music player are in effect all the time and they don't vary depending upon volume.   The loudness compensation curve changes depending upon the volume and phases out at higher volume levels.   Loudness compensation can work in conjunction with whatever EQ setting you choose.    

No different than in an old hi-fi receiver, adjusting the treble and bass controls and then deciding whether you wanted to turn loudness compensation on or off.  

• Reply 10 of 11
    There are still companies out there worth acquiring which make quality headphones. Beats need not be the last one.

And do they deliver a music audience segment?.... and two unique market makers??
  • Reply 11 of 11

No matter how well a pair of earbuds reproduces sound, it will sound like crap if they don't have the right fit. Apple makes some higher-end earbuds with rubber inserts that sound better and fit better. The best in-ear earphones I've tried are the Beats wireless. The over the ear design keeps them firmly in place even when you move around, which is more than I can say for any similar earbuds without a retention system.