Amazon updates Fire tablets & TV products, introduces $50 tablet & $100 4K Fire TV

Comments

• Reply 181 of 212
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wdowell View Post

Frankly I'm old school and would love to imagine kids without dedicated screens and use actaul toys like lego and other toys, like  wooden trains etc, but i think im kidding myself.

I just thought this is a good thing for them to have to watch a movie or some simple game.

You have it exactly right.   On the few occasions when my now 6-year-old grandson is given an electronic device to use, he immediately gets so hyperactive and addicted, it's not surprising that many kids who spend lots of time on these devices seem to have trouble with linear learning and reading.  No video games for this kid.

While the house has a digital video server/recorder, there is no TV that can be 'surfed'.    They only let my 12-year-old granddaughter start using electronic devices recently and only for very limited applications, like writing, composing and a bit of email.   

The result?   (Although I'll admit this is anecdotal).

The 12-year old is a brilliant artist and writer, has composed 20 songs and has had her artwork exhibited in local galleries.    The 6-year-old knows an amazing amount of world history (thanks to "Story of the World" audio), is several years ahead of his classmates in math, is a pretty damned good chess player and is also terrific at taking these Lego sets that are designed with unique parts to build only one thing and creating lots of other things out of it.  He also has loved playing with his wooden trains and other such real-world mechanical toys. 

The fact is that when you're watching TV and wasting time on YouTube or Facebook, you're not doing something else.   And that something else is what most kids should be doing, not obsessively watching crap or sending trivial text messages to each other.  

As for the devices, while Apple's device is probably the far superior device, if what one is doing on a Pad is reading e-books, a bit of email, surfing the web, using Facebook, watching YouTube videos, taking snapshots or trivial video and maybe playing some widely available games, any device will actually do, and between the fact that such a device will probably get broken when used by a kid and the fact that technology changes so quickly that the devices will have to get replaced before too long, I say going for the cheap device, even if crappier, is absolutely fine.

Having said that, when my local computer chain opened, they had a special giving away some unbranded Pad for $20.    I was going to pick one up for the kids, but when I looked at how crappy it was, and read that it probably contained bloatware and spyware, I passed on it anyway.  Plus I was too lazy to wait on the long line. 

• Reply 182 of 212
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Agree. AppleTV will be for mainstream users who just want to play games and do some basic entertainment stuff and not mess with keyboards and tweaking.

Amazon sounds like a fun box for a techie.  Personally I don't have time to tweak.  I just want something to work.

Oh no doubt, the Apple TV will defiantly be a big seller for those looking for something easy and your, just works montra. Though the Fire TV is really just as idiot proof, those more advanced features are there if you need them.
  • Reply 183 of 212
    sog35 wrote: »
    I stand corrected.

So one small company that does less than $100 million in sales a year uses 100 kindle fire tablets.  LOL.  So that proves the products worth?  LOL.

Again show me a company with $10 billion in annual sales that uses those cheap $99 Kindle Fire tablets on mission critical tasks?  Show me just ONE.  Just ONE!!!

Your point is these $50 tablets would be great for business.  WRONG.  Not even ONE large business uses these crappy tablets.

Why would they use a Kindle, even the HDX, a tablet in which I really like, wouldn't even cross my mind when purchasing tablets for my business. I would probably go with something like Dell's Venue Pro 7000 or 10000 series and of course Otter cases.
  • Reply 184 of 212
    relic wrote: »
    Why would they use a Kindle, even the HDX, a tablet in which I really like, wouldn't even cross my mind when purchasing tablets for my business. I would probably go with something like Dell's Venue Pro 7000 or 10000 series and of course Otter cases.

Because a Windows tablet makes perfect sense in all cases¡ :rolleyes:
  • Reply 185 of 212
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

More sense than a $50 kindle.

I see Surface tablets in enterprise.  I never see Kindle.  

I think everyone and their dogs knows by now you don't think a $50 tablet (aimed totally at a non-enterprise audience anyway) is for enterprise. I think that horse has been flogged beyond death.

• Reply 186 of 212
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

After reading the one star reviews of the 'Move to iOS' Android app and noticing how all have the same irrational voice as @sog35 I've decided to just block him. His posts are what ISIS is to Islam, the Tea Party is to Republican Party, what Jar Jar Binks is to Star Wars. I can't stop him him from posting but I don't want to read his stupid comments any longer, I only wish I could hide them when you quote him, so I hope you don't.

You can always try my script:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/185450/apples-tim-cook-plans-to-give-away-all-of-his-money/40#post_2699793

• Reply 187 of 212
    I think everyone and their dogs knows by now you don't think a $50 tablet (aimed totally at a non-enterprise audience anyway) is for enterprise. I think that horse has been flogged beyond death.

I gave him examples yesterday of being used by businesses where a clipboard, pad and pencil were less than ideal, and its usage was to be minimal — possibly not even networked — for basic inventory and the such. He claimed that 1024×600 made it impossible to read anything on a 7" display, and suggested that iPads were the only way to go in such an environment where breakage and loss could be very high. He even claimed he would quit this fictional minimum wage job if he wasn't given an iPad to use. cnocbui even gave him a specific use case and he said that it doesn't count because the company isn't big enough to matter to him. That's what we're dealing with here.

mstone wrote: »

The problem is I need to do it after each load. If you can start appleinsider.sog-free.com that will mirror AI's forum without having to load a script I'd be down with that. :D
  • Reply 188 of 212
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Because a Windows tablet makes perfect sense in all cases¡ :rolleyes:

Why a Windows tablet? You don't need something that complicated for an inventory system. The Dell Venue 8 Pro 7000 and 10000 aren't Windows tablets by the way.
  • Reply 189 of 212
    relic wrote: »
    Why a Windows tablet? You don't need something that complicated for an inventory system. The Dell Venue 8 Pro 7000 and 10000 aren't Windows tablets by the way.

1) You first wrote "Dell Venue Pro 7000." You didn't write "Dell Venue 8 Pro 7000" until your most recent reply.

2) Why a $350 tablet when a $50 tablet is more than sufficient for the task, at 1/7th the price, not to mention a cost low enough that you don't need to buy any Otterbox protective covers, thereby saving even more money, for something as simple as an inventory system?
  • Reply 190 of 212
    Originally Posted by wigby View Post

There's just not enough content or 4K watchers out there right now.

The hardware has to exist for the software to want to exist. This has never been an argument.

If Apple had waited until there were “enough” USB devices, we would have first seen USB 1.1 on the iMac G5, if that.

• Reply 191 of 212
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There's just not enough content or 4K watchers out there right now.

The hardware has to exist for the software to want to exist. This has never been an argument.

If Apple had waited until there were “enough” USB devices, we would have first seen USB 1.1 on the iMac G5, if that.

That is a good point.

Thunderbolt and USB C also come to mind.

• Reply 192 of 212

The hardware does exist. Amazon does 4K but the business model for Apple will not exist until next year. Things like h.265 chipsets, licensing, server space won't give Apple the 40% margins they typically enjoy. Why should they race to 4K when only 5% of their customers care? BTW, I have a 4K set and would love 4k support but there is nothing to watch on it right now. There just aren't enough people like us that are willing to pay $300 for a 4K Appe TV.
  • Reply 193 of 212
    wigby wrote: »
    The hardware does exist. Amazon does 4K but the business model for Apple will not exist until next year. Things like h.265 chipsets, licensing, server space won't give Apple the 40% margins they typically enjoy. Why should they race to 4K when only 5% of their customers care?
    You had me up through here.
    BTW, I have a 4K set and would love 4k support but there is nothing to watch on it right now.
    You lost me here. Your argument is akin to saying "there's nothing to do because I'm doing nothing." If the aforementioned business model had an 4K/H.265/HDMI2.0 Apple TV with a 4K UI and iTS content in 2160p/H.265 there would be a lot more content, BT even without Apple there is still content and will be more content every week.
    There just aren't enough people like us that are willing to pay $300 for a 4K Appe TV.

Why do you think it must cost that much, especially when other media streamers can do it for under $100. Even with Apple's margins I see nothing that says the cost will be at least $151 more than the gen 4 Apple TV. I'd wager the holdup is purely business model with an end-towns solution that is probably held up by content owners, not because "there aren't enough UHDTVs going to be sold over the next couple years so we'll lose too much money" argument, otherwise it makes no sense to offer 2160p recording in the 6S-series.
  • Reply 194 of 212

You had me up there here.
    You lost me here. Your argument is akin to saying "there's nothing to do because I'm doing nothing." If the aforementioned business model had an 4K/H.265/HDMI2.0 Apple TV with a 4K UI and iTS content in 2160p/H.265 there would be a lot more content, BT even without Apple there is still content and will be more content every week.
    Why do you think it must cost that much, especially when other media streamers can do it for under $100. Even with Apple's margins I see nothing that says the cost will be at least $151 more than the gen 4 Apple TV. I'd wager the holdup is purely business model with an end-towns solution that is probably held up by content owners, not because "there aren't enough UHDTVs going to be sold over the next couple years so we'll lose too much money" argument, otherwise it makes no sense to offer 2160p recording in the 6S-series.

I'm just saying that I have invested in the hardware and want 4K so I'm not biased against 4K because I can't afford it or think it's stupid. But the fact remains that there is too little content right now which is what killed 3D already, not lack of affordable hardware. 4K will definitely be the standard in a year or two but Apple has never raced to compete in a standard. They only move fast to adopt new tech for user features. 4K is not a feature.

I thought the 4K iPhone thing was unnecessary until they announced multiple 4K stream editing on iPad Pro. So I guess I'll be editing iPhone 4K video on my iPad pro and watching it on my 5k iMac instead of my Apple TV this year.
  • Reply 195 of 212

The hardware does exist.

Which is why it’s so mystifying that we didn’t get it in the Apple TV (other than the well-known supply chain constraints, which could be fixed by building new plants IN THE UNITED STATES).

...the business model for Apple will not exist until next year. Things like h.265 chipsets, licensing, server space won't give Apple the 40% margins they typically enjoy.

This seems wrong, but I’d like to hear more on it.

Why should they race to 4K when only 5% of their customers care?

Same reason they created Thunderbolt and retina displays. Because it’s objectively better.

...there is nothing to watch on it right now.

NASA’s channel. And again, the channels won’t exist until people have something on which to watch them. Heck, there STILL isn’t a single station that formats its content for even DIGITAL broadcasts, for heaven’s sake. They retain the “safe space” around the edges of the screen required on CRTs.

• Reply 196 of 212
    But the fact remains that there is too little content right now which is what killed 3D already, not lack of affordable hardware. 4K will definitely be the standard in a year or two but Apple has never raced to compete in a standard. They only move fast to adopt new tech for user features. 4K is not a feature.

I thought the 4K iPhone thing was unnecessary until they announced multiple 4K stream editing on iPad Pro. So I guess I'll be editing iPhone 4K video on my iPad pro and watching it on my 5k iMac instead of my Apple TV this year.

1) 2160p and 3D 1080p content are very different beasts. You had competing 3D standards and then you have a small window of watchability, and then you have very little content shot in 3D, whereas with 4K the content has been shot in that, even for TV shows, for a long time now, a UHDTV opens the viewing possibilities.

2) Don't conflate not seeing the content with the content not existing. The question we should be asking is why isn't available in iTS yet: My guess is HEVC licensing costs, licensing costs from content owners, and/or licensing restrictions from content owners, which is the same issue they had in 2006 when they did their unusual pre-demo-demo with an internal codename iTV. That was for the content owners to get on-board with a secure streaming method. Apple botched that in some way as it took far too long to get content to make the original Apple TV a great product.

3) The TVs are also here, and they are numerous and cheap. I'd say the UHDTV landscape is much better than when the G3 Apple TV came out with 1080p or the G1 Apple TV came out with 720p. Strategy Analytics predicts a 10% market penetration for 4K UHD TVs by 2016. In 2006 when the original Apple TV was introduced 720p TVs weren't in 10% of homes. You also need to consider "if you build it they will come," which is because buyers for the HEC (home entertainment center) plan longer-term than they do for a phone, which they update more frequently. Because of that, future-proofing the device is important to these buyers, which is probably your reasoning for buying a 4K set when you did.
  • Reply 197 of 212
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member

That's s little different as it came with a USB mouse. The Apple TV doesn't come with 4k content or a 4k TV set.
  • Reply 198 of 212
    1) You first wrote "Dell Venue Pro 7000." You didn't write "Dell Venue 8 Pro 7000" until your most recent reply.

2) Why a $350 tablet when a $50 tablet is more than sufficient for the task, at 1/7th the price, not to mention a cost low enough that you don't need to buy any Otterbox protective covers, thereby saving even more money, for something as simple as an inventory system?

Same tablet, there is only one 7000 model. Now there is a Venue Pro 8 but that is a Windows tablet. I purposely wrote 7000 to distinguish that, the Pro means nothing in this regard. As far as choosing a 50 dollar for anything, I personally wouldn't but if your business is that strapped for cash than I guess there is no other choice.
  • Reply 199 of 212
    I'm just saying that I have invested in the hardware and want 4K so I'm not biased against 4K because I can't afford it or think it's stupid. But the fact remains that there is too little content right now which is what killed 3D already, not lack of affordable hardware. 4K will definitely be the standard in a year or two but Apple has never raced to compete in a standard. They only move fast to adopt new tech for user features. 4K is not a feature.

Why is it so important to own an Apple TV, especially when there are just as good if not better TV set-boxes on the market. Why not buy an Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV, it's only a hundred more and than you'll be able to view your 4K videos.
  • Reply 200 of 212
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Why is it so important to own an Apple TV, especially when there are just as good if not better TV set-boxes on the market. Why not buy an Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV, it's only a hundred more and than you'll be able to view your 4K videos.

You're talking about two different things. I use Apple TV to view purchased content from iTunes or stream Netflix because it streams better on Apple TV than any other box. As far as my own content, I already shoot 4k (professionally) but it would not be viewable on any set top box anyway, not even Apple TV. I don't think there's a a really good argument for shooting 4k home videos and buying a TV and set top box just to view those. There just isn't enough 4k content otherwise.