Apple opens up iTunes donations to help migrant crisis in Europe & Mediterranean

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 2015
Apple on Friday placed a link banner on its website, encouraging people to donate to the American Red Cross via iTunes to alleviate the ongoing migrant crisis spanning Europe and the Mediterranean.




Clicking on the link opens up iTunes, where people will see $5, $10, $25, $50, $100, and $200 donation tiers. Apple is promising that the whole of proceeds will go to charity.

Over 473,000 migrants have fled into Europe during 2015, including some 182,000 Syrians trying to escape their country's protracted civil war. Many of them are trying to reach Germany but have taken extreme measures to make the journey and/or circumvent border restrictions, particularly in Hungary, where the government can be actively hostile to immigration.

Apple regularly sets up iTunes donations for popular causes. In April for example the company arranged contributions to the American Red Cross following earthquakes in Nepal that killed over 3,000 people.

The Red Cross provides food, shelter, medical care, and other services in the wake of disasters. It relies on funds from individuals, corporations, and foundations.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 30
    MacProMacPro Posts: 17,586member
    It seems to me the problem over there is the mix of genuine refugees mixed with far more opportunists wanting to emigrate to the west for a better life. I'd suggest all eligible men aged 18 to 35 be immediately recruited and trained in a new United Nations Force especially to return to help fight ISIS. Perhaps the opportunists would think twice and any genuine refugee would probably welcome the chance to fight for their own land with the full support of the west.
  • Reply 2 of 30

    So if there is turmoil/revolution in your country....runaway! Don't try and make it a better place, just go to another country where the hard work has already been done. It is silly to risk your own life when hard working people in other countries are willing to have their tax dollars put a roof over your head and food on your table. 

     

    -kpluck

  • Reply 3 of 30
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

    I have donated to the Red Cross many times, until I learned of their questionable spending practices and complete lack of transparency. They are under a congressional investigation right now.

     

    On Charity Navigator they don't even show up on the list of Syrian refugee charitable organizations.

     

    http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=1523

  • Reply 4 of 30
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post



    It seems to me the problem over there is the mix of genuine refugees mixed with far more opportunists wanting to emigrate to the west for a better life. I'd suggest all eligible men aged 18 to 35 be immediately recruited and trained in a new United Nations Force especially to return to help fight ISIS. Perhaps the opportunists would think twice and any genuine refugee would probably welcome the chance to fight for their own land with the full support of the west.



    That's the huge problem. Giving money doesn't help the situation. I'm sick of the media saying these are refugees. The majority of these people are opportunists. There is a reason why 80% of the so called refugees are men. Merkel is making the situation worse by accepting all these people.

  • Reply 5 of 30

    Donate money so that europe can be turned into an Islamic republic? Uh, no thanks. 

  • Reply 6 of 30

    Thank you all the above posters… that is exactly what's going on. Unfortunately the government(s) are completely ignoring that fact, and all the political parties that dó mention that there's actually a difference between real refugees and the (mostly) economical refugees (we call them golddiggers here), are being boo'd by the rest of 'em.

     

    It's astonishing how badly most governments here are ignoring the worries of their own citizens, and would rather have the elderly people who are sitting in retirement-homes sit in their own pee for a few days (yes, that's actually happening at the moment), all for the sake of taking in non-refugees. There are a lot of rapes happening in those camps, and who-knows how many pro-ISIS people there are amongst them. There are actually entire villages being overrun by these refugees: like here in Holland where there are villages of a couple of 1000 inhabitants, with a newly built refugee camp that holds 3000 refugees. Or citizens who have to wait 10+ years to be eligible for a rental house, while refugees are getting rental houses (for free!) within a year.

     

    Please do not give money… I'm all for helping the actual refugees. Preferably in their own region, and otherwise for as many as we can handle in camps in our own country/countries. But right now governments are just letting everyone in without any kind of control or checkup to make sure their country stays safe, and not overrun by people simply for the free food/housing we give them. Things are going horribly wrong here at the moment, and everyone sees it except Brussel/EU/national governments.

    JanNL
  • Reply 7 of 30
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 6,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

     

    So if there is turmoil/revolution in your country....runaway! Don't try and make it a better place, just go to another country where the hard work has already been done. It is silly to risk your own life when hard working people in other countries are willing to have their tax dollars put a roof over your head and food on your table. 

     

    -kpluck




    Well that’s exactly what my German ancestors did in the early 1850s. They fled famine and war in Europe, came to America to settle in Southern Illinois, farmers and coal miners all. So maybe you think I should “go back to where I came from.” My grandmother spoke German but I don’t.

  • Reply 8 of 30
    Why doesn't Apple cough up a few billion instead of hitting up customers ?
  • Reply 9 of 30
    MacProMacPro Posts: 17,586member
    lkrupp wrote: »

    Well that’s exactly what my German ancestors did in the early 1850s. They fled famine and war in Europe, came to America to settle in Southern Illinois. So maybe you think I should “go back to where I came from.” My grandmother spoke German but I don’t.

    The point most here are making is opportunists versus refugees in this situation, not all situations are alike. Your family sound as if they were the latter, in need of asylum.

    Of course in different times when various countries wanted to increase their population so called opportunists are welcomed through official channels. I am such a person the US welcomed after a rigorous process that took several years and of course I jumped at the opportunity. No one is here saying emigration in general is a bad thing.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    What the hell am I supposed to donate money for? They'll all be on the European welfare rolls soon enough. They'll probably be living better than me.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    asciiascii Posts: 5,848member

    If they claim to be political refugees, take them at their word. That is, offer them a temporary visa that is only valid until things calm down in their home country, at which point they must leave. Real political refugees would be happy with such conditions, but economic refugees would not and would go elsewhere looking for permanent residency.

  • Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

    I have donated to the Red Cross many times, until I learned of their questionable spending practices and complete lack of transparency. They are under a congressional investigation right now.

    On Charity Navigator they don't even show up on the list of Syrian refugee charitable organizations.

    http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=1523

     

    during the bush era, it became clear the principles changed. especially that of impartiality. sadly, i agree with you. there is no transparency and they have become a tool of this government. they have failed in their principle to be impartial in their response to the horrible effects of hurricane catrina, among other things, and failed to take action when it was required in others.

    better to contribute to organizations that have complete transparency in their endeavors.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
    At the 20th International Conference in Neue Hofburg, Vienna, from 2–9 October 1965, "proclaimed" seven fundamental principles which are shared by all components of the Movement, and they were added to the official statutes of the Movement in 1986.

    That makes it even more important to note that the text that appears under each "heading" is an integral part of the Principle in question and not an interpretation that can vary with time and place.

    Humanity
    The International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, born of a desire to bring assistance without discrimination to the wounded on the battlefield, endeavours, in its international and national capacity, to prevent and alleviate human suffering wherever it may be found. Its purpose is to protect life and health and to ensure respect for the human being. It promotes mutual understanding, friendship, cooperation and lasting peace amongst all peoples.

    Impartiality
    It makes no discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions. It endeavours to relieve the suffering of individuals, being guided solely by their needs, and to give priority to the most urgent cases of distress.

    Neutrality
    In order to continue to enjoy the confidence of all, the Movement may not take sides in hostilities or engage at any time in controversies of a political, racial, religious or ideological nature.

    Independence
    The Movement is independent. The National Societies, while auxiliaries in the humanitarian services of their governments and subject to the laws of their respective countries, must always maintain their autonomy so that they may be able at all times to act in accordance with the principles of the Movement.

    Voluntary Service
    It is a voluntary relief movement not prompted in any manner by desire for gain.

    Unity
    There can be only one Red Cross or one Red Crescent Society in any one country. It must be open to all. It must carry on its humanitarian work throughout its territory.

    Universality
    The International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, in which all Societies have equal status and share equal responsibilities and duties in helping each other, is worldwide.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

    If they claim to be political refugees, take them at their word. That is, offer them a temporary visa that is only valid until things calm down in their home country, at which point they must leave. Real political refugees would be happy with such conditions, but economic refugees would not and would go elsewhere looking for permanent residency.

     

    probably the most sane and least hateful & judgmental post here. apparently, most of these haters know the minds of these people. it says so much more about them and their outlook on the world than reality. your suggestion sounds like a perfectly rational start to a solution.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    So much nonsense here, most likely picked up from media with an agenda. What are you afraid of? Refugees coming to Europe, or that showing any sympathy for them would question your own dealings with Mexicans etc.?

    The majority of people are not opportunists, but refugees from Syria. And no, they can't just make their own country better, because the weapons the West and Russia are delivering to the war parties will make sure that reasonable and peaceful people will only be one thing: victims. And yes, the majority are young men. Why? Because they have the biggest chance of surviving the trip, and the most likely ones to find some job and then reunite with their families.

    We must also be very careful with the right-wing media fairytale of these opportunists from other countries, like Albania, Kosovo etc. Yes, they do exist, and they will be returned in most cases. But even among them there are true refugees, like members of minorities who are suppressed, or even mistreated in these places. This is not a travesty, but what asylum is for.

    If people are in dire need of help, you either help them, or you come up with the now standard Christian litany of why helping right now would not be good for people. Personally, I am sick of it.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post



    So much nonsense here, most likely picked up from media with an agenda. What are you afraid of? Refugees coming to Europe, or that showing any sympathy for them would question your own dealings with Mexicans etc.?



    The majority of people are not opportunists, but refugees from Syria. And no, they can't just make their own country better, because the weapons the West and Russia are delivering to the war parties will make sure that reasonable and peaceful people will only be one thing: victims. And yes, the majority are young men. Why? Because they have the biggest chance of surviving the trip, and the most likely ones to find some job and then reunite with their families.



    We must also be very careful with the right-wing media fairytale of these opportunists from other countries, like Albania, Kosovo etc. Yes, they do exist, and they will be returned in most cases. But even among them there are true refugees, like members of minorities who are suppressed, or even mistreated in these places. This is not a travesty, but what asylum is for.



    If people are in dire need of help, you either help them, or you come up with the now standard Christian litany of why helping right now would not be good for people. Personally, I am sick of it.

    The majority of people are opportunists, not refugees. Quit being delusional. They aren't from Syria either. The statistics are slowly coming out of Europe and they prove over 80% of these people aren't from Syria. They are coming from Albania, Serbia, Eritrea, places that aren't war torn countries. If the so called refuges really wanted asylum, why aren't they requesting asylum in the first safe EU country they arrive in? They don't do that because they are opportunists wanting to head to the wealthier countries such as Germany, Netherlands, etc. These people are barging through Europe demanding everything while rioting and being completely disrespectful. The reality is you need to take off your Merkel blinders. You can't be that naive and actually believe most of the opportunists are men because "they have the biggest chance of surviving the trip". I'm sorry but that's a load of crap. 

  • Reply 16 of 30
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,063member
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    The majority of people are opportunists, not refugees. Quit being delusional. They aren't from Syria either. The statistics are slowly coming out of Europe and they prove over 80% of these people aren't from Syria. They are coming from Albania, Serbia, Eritrea, places that aren't war torn countries. If the so called refuges really wanted asylum, why aren't they requesting asylum in the first safe EU country they arrive in? They don't do that because they are opportunists wanting to head to the wealthier countries such as Germany, Netherlands, etc. These people are barging through Europe demanding everything while rioting and being completely disrespectful. The reality is you need to take off your Merkel blinders. You can't be that naive and actually believe most of the opportunists are men because "they have the biggest chance of surviving the trip". I'm sorry but that's a load of crap. 

    Here is Germany's official data for August: refugees processed 153k, accepted 57k (Syria 39k, Iraq 8k, Afghanistan 1k, Eritrea 2.5k and "opportunists" from Kosovo 7 people, from Albania 3 people, from Serbia 0 people, from Macedonia 12 people....).

    Of course people leaving their home and livelihood behind try to get to places where they feel safe and welcome. If you were a Syrian, would you take your family to a country like Serbia, where you would have been a victim of ethnic cleansing just a few years ago, to a fascist country like Hungary... No, if asked you would say Sweden, Austria, Netherlands, Germany... Just like anybody else.

    No Merkel blinders here, never voted for her, never will.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    You are a lot of heartless individuals on here (mostly). You've swallowed the "desperate shirkers and benefits grabbers" meme from the mass media hook, line and sinker.

    Here in the UK, our own citizens have been dying under benefits cuts imposed by our vicious government and you think that dispossessed refugees would leave their homes, their countries, travelling in death traps and leaky boats and often dying en-route to arrive here in the UK simply to get cushy welfare benefits that even those born here can't get! Ye gods!! Yes, I know they are not all coming to the UK as our generous government doesn't want to take a fair amount.

    You probably believe that the USA invaded Iraq to bring peace to that country's people too.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    MacProMacPro Posts: 17,586member
    You are a lot of heartless individuals on here (mostly). You've swallowed the "desperate shirkers and benefits grabbers" meme from the mass media hook, line and sinker.

    Here in the UK, our own citizens have been dying under benefits cuts imposed by our vicious government and you think that dispossessed refugees would leave their homes, their countries, travelling in death traps and leaky boats and often dying en-route to arrive here in the UK simply to get cushy welfare benefits that even those born here can't get! Ye gods!! Yes, I know they are not all coming to the UK as our generous government doesn't want to take a fair amount.

    You probably believe that the USA invaded Iraq to bring peace to that country's people too.

    No one here is suggesting those genuinely in need of refuge should not be helped. However, there are many not in need of asylum, if not most, taking advantage of those who are, by joining them. How to solve that is a horrendous problem. Throwing money at it is only part of the solution. Not that I don't applaud Apple for engaging. The only solution is to eradicate ISIS IMHO. The problem is every dictator the west helps to overthrow creates a vacuum for the likes of ISIS.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post





    Here is Germany's official data for August: refugees processed 153k, accepted 57k (Syria 39k, Iraq 8k, Afghanistan 1k, Eritrea 2.5k and "opportunists" from Kosovo 7 people, from Albania 3 people, from Serbia 0 people, from Macedonia 12 people....).



    Of course people leaving their home and livelihood behind try to get to places where they feel safe and welcome. If you were a Syrian, would you take your family to a country like Serbia, where you would have been a victim of ethnic cleansing just a few years ago, to a fascist country like Hungary... No, if asked you would say Sweden, Austria, Netherlands, Germany... Just like anybody else.



    No Merkel blinders here, never voted for her, never will.

    Can you provide a link to those numbers? All the stats I'm seeing are way different then what you are claiming. 

     

    Hungary is doing the right thing by trying to block these people. 

  • Reply 20 of 30
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,063member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

     

    Can you provide a link to those numbers? All the stats I'm seeing are way different then what you are claiming. 


     

     

    This is the official report from the BAMF (Office of Migration and Refugees), PDF at http://www.bamf.de/SharedDocs/Anlagen/DE/Downloads/Infothek/Statistik/Asyl/201508-statistik-anlage-asyl-geschaeftsbericht.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

     

    Column 1 lists the requests processed by origin, 2 is the requests accepted, 3 is the requests denied.

Sign In or Register to comment.