Apple's newly renovated campus store to sell iPhone and Apple Watch, now open Saturdays

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2015
Apple gave employees a first look at its new campus store on Friday, revealing an interior layout, aesthetic and product offering more in line current Apple Stores, with dashes of upcoming changes envisioned by retail chief Angela Ahrendts and CDO Jony Ive sprinkled throughout.

Source: CNET

Unlike the old campus store, which opened its doors some 20 years ago, Apple's newly renovated retail outlet at its Cupertino, Calif., headquarters is more like a "normal" Apple Store, reports CNET. The publication was on hand as Apple CEO Tim Cook invited employees to take a sneak peek at the redesign before the store opens for business tomorrow.

While stocked items now include iPhone and Apple Watch, senior marketing director Enrique Atienza said the campus outlet is not necessarily a blueprint for future Apple Stores, as some have speculated. However, a few flourishes are borrowed from Apple's reimagined retail aesthetic, including specially crafted wood product shelves, backlit accessory nooks and abundant overhead lighting.

Judging by the publication's snapshots of today's grand reopening preview, the campus store shares a number of similarities to Apple's new location in Brussels, Belgium. That store is also set to open on Saturday. Missing from Brussels, however, are oversized wall hangings advertising the latest Apple gear and campus-exclusive merchandise like mugs, t-shirts and accessories.

Along with the original campus retail outlet, Apple has plans to open a consumer-friendly visitor center at its Campus 2 location when construction completes in 2016. Planning documents describe a two-story structure with retail floor space, a cafe and an observation deck with views of the adjacent "spaceship" main building.

Apple's campus store operates Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Pacific, and will for the first time open on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Will it still have clothing that is overpriced?
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Will it still have clothing that is overpriced?

Clothing priced above of what you're willing to pay? Seems very likely.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Apple selling watches... how cheesy.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Strange.

It looks like a cheap high school classroom in that photo.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    That's a shame; the trip to the store at the Mothership was always supposed to be something special. Now it's just another retail outlet.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    One very simple suggestion.... That bundle of cords in atrocious. Can't we hollow a leg partially and run it up through there? For geniuses that "think of every minute detail" I'm surprised it is that rough.
  • Reply 7 of 18

looks to me like a made-to-order cable bundle, indicating that the "geniuses" in this case are simply thinking different than the genius with the issues.

• Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sprint3GIssues View Post

One very simple suggestion.... That bundle of cords in atrocious. Can't we hollow a leg partially and run it up through there? For geniuses that "think of every minute detail" I'm surprised it is that rough.

That was my only critical thought as well.

• Reply 9 of 18
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I have to agree ... First thing I thought of when I saw it.

Seems like I've noticed that at an Apple Store before though. I don't think it's quite as noticeable in the store as it is from this static angle. Still, I would have run it up the leg. Like you, I'm confident the Apple engineers could give them a modular electrical solution that would allow the tables to be moved without jeopardizing the safe operation of the cables.
  • Reply 10 of 18

If the tables were completely stationary, I'd say that sounds great, but I think they are moved daily. My local Apple Store is a block away so I'm passing it often and there seems to be people all the time cleaning at night, so I'm not sure putting the cables in the leg would work out without additional safeguards in place for moving the table without pulling, fraying, or otherwise damaging the power cord.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I have to agree ... First thing I thought of when I saw it.

Seems like I've noticed that at an Apple Store before though. I don't think it's quite as noticeable in the store as it is from this static angle. Still, I would have run it up the leg.

Yeah, it could just be this particular photograph. The cord could hardly be more prominent in the way that it's framed. I certainly haven't noticed them in the store before. I might've left the table unplugged for the photo, since the screens don't show anyway. 

• Reply 12 of 18
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Folks those cords have been like that for a long time. It isn't part of a new design.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    That's a shame; the trip to the store at the Mothership was always supposed to be something special. Now it's just another retail outlet.

Maybe that's coming to Campus 2? I would imagine once it's finished that's where people will want to go.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    rogifan wrote: »
    Maybe that's coming to Campus 2? I would imagine once it's finished that's where people will want to go.

I seem to recall a more recent article (this Summer?) about a welcome center and store on the top floor of the ring for visitors.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I seem to recall a more recent article (this Summer?) about a welcome center and store on the top floor of the ring for visitors.

Yep. I expect that's where people will want to go and the Cupertino store will just become a regular store. I saw video footage of the Brussels store. Looks really nice and they have motion sensitive tables where outlets only come into view when they sense someone is at the table wanting to plug something in. I don't see a Genius Bar at this store...the back wall of the store is one huge video screen. If this store is the future of Apple's retail store design it looks like the Genius Bar area as we know it is a thing of the past.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Man, you people sure like bitching about anything.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    White cables would be a cheap, quick, and adequate fix.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Went to the store today... It's at least half the size of the store it replaced. Very few Apple branded items: I saw T-shirts (16), pens (1 style in black or silver), notebooks, water bottles (2 colors), coffee mugs and everything else is standard Apple retail (with a few tweaks).

I used to go 3 or 4 times a year, but it's not worth the drive any more... Disappointed! I'll probably drive down for the rumored Campus 2 store, just to see if they improved it...