Teardown of Apple TV Siri Remote finds same touch controller as iPhone 5s & iPad Air

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExceptionHandler View Post

From the impression I got from the keynote was that volume and power were commands passed over hdmi. Aka the command from the remote to Apple TV would be over Bluetooth and then from there over hdmi. The Hdmi spec supports it but I haven't seen any setups use it yet (then again I don't see many setups so I could be wrong)

I certainly hope it doesn't try and work over HDMI or if it does I hope that part can be turned off and IR can be used instead. Every manufacturer seems to have their own implementation of CEC - the method that allows control over HDMI. The best chance of having it work correctly is if every component in your system is the same brand and the same age. Even then, things can get wonky. In my living room, I have a Sony TV that works great with a Yamaha receiver and a Sony Blu-Ray player. In another room a Samsung TV with another Yamaha receiver and another Sony Blu-Ray player works randomly - if at all.

• Reply 22 of 24
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post

I certainly hope it doesn't try and work over HDMI or if it does I hope that part can be turned off and IR can be used instead. Every manufacturer seems to have their own implementation of CEC - the method that allows control over HDMI. The best chance of having it work correctly is if every component in your system is the same brand and the same age. Even then, things can get wonky. In my living room, I have a Sony TV that works great with a Yamaha receiver and a Sony Blu-Ray player. In another room a Samsung TV with another Yamaha receiver and another Sony Blu-Ray player works randomly - if at all.

Yeah see, I hope the exact opposite. I hope it does work over CEC otherwise I think its a half-assed implementation. The only other equipment connected to my TV is my soundbar over Optical. Hoping that it all somehow plays nice together.

• Reply 23 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

So the extra height comes from the heatsink for the A8 chip. Odd how the iPhone with the A8 doesn't need this. The PSU will generate some heat but maybe they clocked the A8 quite a lot higher than the model in the iPhone and iPad or maybe it isn't able to keep as cool with that usage scenario.

It's a heatsink for the power supply, not necessarily so much for the CPU. iPhone's use external AC to DC adapters more commonly known as "chargers" because iPhones have batteries to charge with them. This Apple TV, like many set top boxes, integrates the AC to DC adapter.

• Reply 24 of 24
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    It's a heatsink for the power supply, not necessarily so much for the CPU.

Some sites were reporting that the PSU was 6W vs 5W for the old one but I see on the iFixit site it says:

"The redesigned power supply is rated at 12V at 0.917A. Compare that to the 3rd-gen Apple TV's main reactor, which pumped out 3.4V at 1.75A."

So the new one is 11W vs 5.95W, 85% higher power. The Mac mini has an internal 85W PSU, which doesn't seem to need much cooling but the fan inside it will be moving air all the time.

The increase in power would still have to be for the CPU and the heatsink attaches directly onto the chip. The power is reported to be going through that attachment as there are no wires so the heatsink will be cooling both together.

It's possible that it's just the standard A8 but the iPhones don't run anywhere near 11W. During 3D gaming, the iPhone 6 lasts 2.5 hours so it's drawing less than 3W at maximum load with the A8.