Microsoft ships subscription-free version of Office 2016 for Mac [u]

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I was hoping to buy it from the Mac App Store. Also why isn't Skype on the Mac App Store?

• Reply 42 of 48
    croprcropr Posts: 1,140member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I was hoping to buy it from the Mac App Store. Also why isn't Skype on the Mac App Store?

Why would a company like Microsoft give away 30% of its revenue to Apple?  Being on the App store is good for smaller companies who don't have a good marketing machine, but it is just a waste of money for Microsoft 

• Reply 43 of 48
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    jpellino wrote: »
    Worst Office installation in recent memory. Back to 2011 if I still have the DMG. Every app crashes unpredictably. All three open at once (and nothing else open) take 99% of 4GB RAM. Do not remember a crash with 2011. Tried second time to find every 2011 component and delete it before installing 2016 but that didn't help. Minute launches even after the first launch.

Even more fun: the crash reporter stays bouncing after the app crashes. I suspect it has something to do with all of the additional stuff from the MS folder in 2011 Mac is now inside the Word and the PP and the Excel app, including - wait for it - the crash reporter app itself! Open each app as a package, the fonts are in the resources and three apps are inside shared support.

Maybe you have something wrong with your Mac. I have Word 2016, Powerpoint 2016, Excel 2016 and Outlook 2011 open at the moment, they are using a total of 400MB RAM. I've been running Office 2016 for a while now, haven't had it crash yet.
  • Reply 44 of 48
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cropr View Post

Why would a company like Microsoft give away 30% of its revenue to Apple?  Being on the App store is good for smaller companies who don't have a good marketing machine, but it is just a waste of money for Microsoft 

I would be willing to pay more for the App Store version to cover Apple's cut. Besides all App Store apps have a 5 Mac license, so it would have to cost more anyway.

• Reply 45 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    ash471 wrote: »
    Pages is also useless for lawyers.  There's many problems, but just to illustrate one, Pages won't do automatic paragraph numbering with the second line left justified.  Its a really easy fix, but Apple won't do it.
    The most likely explanation is that Apple has agreed with MS not to update Pages in exchange for MS releasing their software on iOS. It is a smart move for both of them. 

You have to wonder don't you. So many Apple consumer apps remained cobbled when they could so easily be power user apps with a few additions. Adobe Muse is where iWeb could have been for example. Then the power apps such as Aperture get canned. iTunes changes every other month and I have to waste trying to find how to do what I did in the previous version with little help from Apple (adding a radio station for example). Photos has to actually re upload images already in the cloud for sharing rather than using symbolic links like iTunes Match! Crazy. Tim needs to look at Software more.
  • Reply 46 of 48

Yes Microsoft is greedy. I believe if they were to charge $99.00 or less people would not have an issue. If you have been around long enough you would know that software costs are ridiculous. Apple gives there updates for free. Microsoft should follow suite. There are so many office like products for Mac out there that are free people won't pay that absurd price. Good luck thinking they will.

• Reply 47 of 48
    and what happens to YOUR documents etc if you can't afford the $120/year?
    Say you lose your job? What if you couldn't update your resume because you MS monthly tithe has expired. Bang goes your next job then?
    Tithe?
    Yes. That is what is it. You pay them money for them to let you have the priviledge to access you information for another month.
    I will never ever purchase a subscription for software where if I stop paying, it stops working.
    I will pay for support but not where if I stop the software stops working.
    If you did your research before posting that comment you would've found that after your subscription expires or you don't renew it you still have 5 YEARS of access to your OneDrive files. Plus you can always download the free version of Word, Excel, & PowerPoint but will not have all the features.

And not for nothing you're always going to paying for some type of Software be it either free software that you have to give your email address and other info that they (the free software maker) in turn sell to 3rd parties to send you advertisements. Or you pay a Monthly fee to company to store your files, and use their services...