Apple's record setting iPhone 6s launch weekend impresses Wall Street

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43

A.I. Headline

Apple's record setting iPhone 6s launch weekend impresses Wall Street… (Not)

There, fixed it for you.

• Reply 22 of 43
    corn wrote: »
    Not enough emphasis has been placed on the # of additional countries that took the launch of the new product.  China is not a small market and i think its important to understand that Apple like any large corporation is very careful in how they do all of these announcements.
    While they beat their numbers by 3M+ from last year, i woudl be curious as to how much of their overall #s were in countries that were net new in terms of launch.  Lets be honest here. Apple is a master of marketing and will skew things in a fashion to ensure they get what they need to plod forward being seen in a positive light on most things....else it affects the massive machine that they are indeed.

Analysts, news organizations et al will take the various bits of information available and present it in a positive, neutral and negative light depending on the nature of how they report.  e.g. Appleinsider generally has a leaning towards the positive with Apple.  This is just the reality of how teh various agendas work.  We do live in a capitalist society and i think its important for people to be informed and balanced in how they view 'news' nowadays.

just my two cents.  

You obviously don't know this company, at all. (Also reflected in the number of comments you have posted before today - 0.) and your comment really says nothing. The fact of the matter is that demand is outstripping supply, a supply that was larger than last year. Further, purchases on the China mainland are not as significant as some think as a significant number of Chinese buy their iPhones through Hong Kong (which was in last year's launch).because they then avoid the Chinese 17% tax on all Apple products. HK has zero sales tax.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by corn View Post

Not enough emphasis has been placed on the # of additional countries that took the launch of the new product.  China is not a small market and i think its important to understand that Apple like any large corporation is very careful in how they do all of these announcements.

While they beat their numbers by 3M+ from last year, i woudl be curious as to how much of their overall #s were in countries that were net new in terms of launch.  Lets be honest here. Apple is a master of marketing and will skew things in a fashion to ensure they get what they need to plod forward being seen in a positive light on most things....else it affects the massive machine that they are indeed.

Analysts, news organizations et al will take the various bits of information available and present it in a positive, neutral and negative light depending on the nature of how they report.  e.g. Appleinsider generally has a leaning towards the positive with Apple.  This is just the reality of how teh various agendas work.  We do live in a capitalist society and i think its important for people to be informed and balanced in how they view 'news' nowadays.

just my two cents.  

You obviously don't know this company, at all. (Also reflected in the number of comments you have posted before today - 0.) and your comment really says nothing. The fact of the matter is that demand is outstripping supply, a supply that was larger than last year. Further, purchases on the China mainland are not as significant as some think as a significant number of Chinese buy their iPhones through Hong Kong (which was in last year's launch).because they then avoid the Chinese 17% tax on all Apple products. HK has zero sales tax.

Really not sure why you cracked into this guy. He didn't "Apple-bash". Wonder what your problem is?

As for your comment on supply vs. demand; There is healthy supply almost everywhere. (as it should be, unless you think that Apple is incapable of continuously improving their buildout abilities.) (or unless you think Apple purposely constricts supply)

• Reply 24 of 43

Thanks Bob.  

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Really not sure why you cracked into this guy. He didn't "Apple-bash". Wonder what your problem is?

As for your comment on supply vs. demand; There is healthy supply almost everywhere. (as it should be, unless you think that Apple is incapable of continuously improving their buildout abilities.) (or unless you think Apple purposely constricts supply)

Thanks BobSchlob.

i have chosen to not respond back in a negative fashion as I do not think that it would promote a healthy discussion.  That said, part of the reason that i have been a lurker is much like many websites that are product oriented. There is just is not enough civility when online, especially when one is differing their opinion from the norm.   You have a wide selection of People who are strong supporters, many in the middle and a few who are on the other end of the spectrum.  

My comment was primarily tied to the fact that companies report in such vague terms, and typically in a fashion that promotes their own interests!  which company does not do that nowadays.  Apple is HUGE, and as such it has a reputation to try and manage.  

While not a fan boy, i have been using apple products since the first Ipods, and old OS9 macs prior to then.  personally, i think that there is a bit too much of hype and energy being used constantly to promote apple products.  I know as a fact that i like them because they suit a purpose for me and do well for what i need them to do.  i don't need to have to promote promote promote.  Perhaps its because i do not have an AAPL in my porfolio (nor do i have any tech for that matter)  =)

its all good at the end of the day.  the sun will come out and things keep moving fwd regardless if Apple hits or misses a target....

• Reply 25 of 43
    WTF am I reading stories about analysts are unimpressed with this weekend's sales numbers? It is so idiotic.

I guess because China is included they figure it will be net flat. As others have pointed out, however, they likely sold all they had manufactured and it wouldn't have mattered which countries were included. I'm also reading the usual tripe about "management has done nothing to improve the price of the stock".

Does anyone else wonder that because AAPL joined the Dow they are overweighting the market to the point it is hurting the stock? What if they split the shares again to bring the price to ~40$ ?

I wonder if the size of Apple is what constrains their stock price and what could be done to help it. Does Apple have anybody that talks to Wall Street regularly? What kind of PR does Amazon do to keep their stock doing well?

The rest of the story I suspect is cultural to a degree. Somehow, AAPL is still viewed as a dog of a company on the exchanges, from historical precedent?? Yet I would bet most analysts are carrying around an iPhone. Apple does make the great majority of its money on phone sales, but what about other companies that rely mostly on one product? Google? Exxon?

I sure would like to know when these leeches will allow AAPL to rise again. Jim Cramer said a long time ago that there would be "a heavy lid on the price" and this was again when company sales were fantastic. What is it about AAPL that needs constraining???? Any ideas???
  • Reply 26 of 43
    sog35 wrote: »
    The only thing Apple can do is buyback stock at these cheap prices.

I bought 400 more shares today.  I think Apple will report strong revenue guidance for the Dec Qtr in a few weeks and we will be back on track to $150.  If Apple can grow revenue 10% for FY2016 we see $150.  And next year with iPhone7 I expect even more growth.

How is the buyback helping? I just can't see it. I only see them adding debt to the company. I would bet though, that Apple has it figured so that they take advantage of every tax angle and is possibly not very harmful to borrow money.

I wish they would increase the dividend instead.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Wall Street is based on nothing. They no longer invest in making things or creating job based companies. They do nothing but move money around to collect fees.

Who cares what they think?

Ummm... "Wall Street" actually does a lot, including facilitating the buying and selling of billions of shares a day.  

• Reply 28 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by palomine View Post

As others have pointed out, however, they likely sold all they had manufactured and it wouldn't have mattered which countries were included. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think these sales numbers are constrained by supply, because these numbers also include all of the pre-orders, including those for phones that are out of stock, right?  That means this is a true measure of demand, not a measure of Apple's manufacturing capacity.  

But regardless, the analysts are complete idiots, as usual.  They had predicted how much Apple would sell, knowing that the launch included China.  Then Apple sells about a million more than the analysts predicted, yet they are still somehow disappointed?  That just proves that there was literally nothing Apple could have done to please them.  They are determined that the inclusion of China compromised the numbers, and nothing was going to change that narrative.  Morons.  

The fact is, EVERY iPhone has outsold the last one, and there is absolutely no reason to believe it will change this time.  Apple is building out its sales channels in countries that are poised for explosive growth, including China and India.  Plus I don't think people are considering what a HUGE impact Apple's yearly upgrade plan will have on sales.  Every carrier is competing to beat Apple's plan, and that means a MUCH higher percentage of people will now upgrade to the iPhone every year, vs. every 2-3 years.  How these analysts could miss the significance of this is beyond me.  

• Reply 29 of 43
    The fact is (that like every prior year) apple sold every iPhone they could make. This should be no surprise.

--------

*** The real question is have they increased capacity by 30% or did they simply start building iPhones a week or two earlier, meaning there was more phones on hand for launch weekend??

--------

The answer to this question is important to working out the medium term sales of the "S" series.

Given every prior year has been supply constrained for months after launch I assume they would have increased capacity by at least 10-15%. This is also has historical precedent.

iPhone sales looks quite good for a few quarters at least.
  • Reply 30 of 43

AAPL got kicked again today by Wall Street trolls. My standing order at $110 may yet go through if this keeps up, which would be fine by me.

• Reply 31 of 43
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    AAPL got kicked again today by Wall Street trolls. My standing order at $110 may yet go through if this keeps up, which would be fine by me.
    I've also got an order in to buy at $110. I thought it might go through today - but no such luck.

To the person who suggested the weekend sales numbers included phones which had been ordered but not shipped - I don't think that's true. I remember reading something last year which stated that Apple did not count a phone as "sold" until it made it into the hands of the consumer.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by plovell View Post

The death-knell ringers are undeterred. They'll be saying that Apple is DOOMED because they didn't sell, say, twenty million on launch weekend.

The latest artillery for them is that the numbers include China, so it isn't all that great. 

• Reply 33 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tenly View Post

To the person who suggested the weekend sales numbers included phones which had been ordered but not shipped - I don't think that's true. I remember reading something last year which stated that Apple did not count a phone as "sold" until it made it into the hands of the consumer.

I'm not sure but I think that phones ordered directly with Apple are counted as "sold" when the customer is billed. As an example, I recently ordered an iPad (custom) through the Apple Store. I have been billed for it but it won't be here until Thursday (Oct 1). I believe that Apple will count that as a September sale.

• Reply 34 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by peteo View Post

Wonder if any of the "Analysts" noticed TC said Sunday sales where not included in this number, and will be included in 1st Qtr 2016 numbers

Sorry, that is not what the Apple Press Release said. It said: "Sales completed by Saturday, September 26 will be included in Apple’s 2015 fourth fiscal quarter results, and sales completed on Sunday, September 27 will be included in Apple’s 2016 first fiscal quarter results."

That is much different than saying the 13 million sales this weekend does not include sales on Sunday.

This weekend's total sales as reported by Apple in its press release were 13 million which included three days of sales. 

Apple's Press Release stated: "Apple® today announced it has sold more than 13 million new iPhone® 6s and iPhone 6s Plus models, a new record, just three days after launch." THREE DAYS.

Tim Cook was quoted in the press release as saying: "Sales for iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus have been phenomenal, blowing past any previous first weekend sales results in Apple’s history,”  WEEKEND SALES - not weekend sales but not Sunday.

I wish it were what you said but it isn't.

• Reply 35 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rulebreaker View Post

The fact is (that like every prior year) apple sold every iPhone they could make. This should be no surprise.

*** The real question is have they increased capacity by 30% or did they simply start building iPhones a week or two earlier, meaning there was more phones on hand for launch weekend??

The answer to this question is important to working out the medium term sales of the "S" series.

Given every prior year has been supply constrained for months after launch I assume they would have increased capacity by at least 10-15%. This is also has historical precedent.

iPhone sales looks quite good for a few quarters at least.

Sorry but it doesn't appear that they sold every phone they made. Check your state stores for inventory. Easy to do. Go to the Apple on-line store and try to reserve a new iPhone 6. Select a store, you will be presented with a page with all phone models. The phone models not available will be grayed out. I did this for New York City area and the States of Massachusetts and Rhode Island and found that while many (especially iPhone 6 Plus models) were sold out, not all models were sold out. The most popular (i.e, sold-out) appear to be the Rose Gold color. There is no doubt they have a big hit on their hands but the models are certainly available. I will be trying to buying one in the NYC area this coming Friday or Saturday, so we'll see what happens. The question also is: how quickly can Apple replenish the sold-out models? The financial quarter ended on Saturday so new sales these last few days of September will not count for the quarter, so we are working on a new 90+/- day quarter of sales. Last year's final quarter Apple shipped 74.5 million iPhones. The only projection I have seen/heard thus far is for 75 million which I hope is very low.

• Reply 36 of 43

My guess why Apple can only sell 13M iPhone 6S is because they ran out of stock.  If they opened the sale to every country the number would still be 13M. The production capacity were probably increased by 30 percent. 

• Reply 37 of 43
    juanm105 wrote: »

Sorry but it doesn't appear that they sold every phone they made. Check your state stores for inventory. Easy to do. Go to the Apple on-line store and try to reserve a new iPhone 6. Select a store, you will be presented with a page with all phone models. The phone models not available will be grayed out. I did this for New York City area and the States of Massachusetts and Rhode Island and found that while many (especially iPhone 6 Plus models) were sold out, not all models were sold out. The most popular (i.e, sold-out) appear to be the Rose Gold color. There is no doubt they have a big hit on their hands but the models are certainly available. I will be trying to buying one in the NYC area this coming Friday or Saturday, so we'll see what happens. The question also is: how quickly can Apple replenish the sold-out models? The financial quarter ended on Saturday so new sales these last few days of September will not count for the quarter, so we are working on a new 90+/- day quarter of sales. Last year's final quarter Apple shipped 74.5 million iPhones. The only projection I have seen/heard thus far is for 75 million which I hope is very low.

Apple having stock today does not mean that the stock was available on the weekend. The factory is churning out phones and stock is being replenished daily.
  • Reply 38 of 43

I don't know what happened to the stock price today but I picked up 200 shares at $109.90 and another 200 at $108.00! If it hits $105, I'll buy another 200! This is like free future money!!!
  • Reply 39 of 43
    tenly wrote: »
    I don't know what happened to the stock price today but I picked up 200 shares at $109.90 and another 200 at $108.00! If it hits $105, I'll buy another 200! This is like free future money!!!

A lot of stocks are getting killed right now. Is it all due to upcoming Fed announcement speculation?
  • Reply 40 of 43

OK, the only reason Apple released the 6s in China at launch is because of the reseller/grey import problem. The Chinese government have serious issues relating to lost import / sales taxation in their territory. The Chinese government specifically requested they be a tier 1 country. All other conspiracy theories are well off. Wall street are a cabal of liars, this is how they make money, create doubt, buy cheap-sell high, this is the real source of the (ANALYSTS).