TAG Heuer to launch $1,800 Apple Watch competitor in Nov., company warns of tough 2016

Comments

• Reply 21 of 87
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member

You are wrong.  Since the Apple Watch came out, there have been countless people arguing that it would not take sales away from luxury watch brands.  I know, because I argued with those people for days.  This is pretty good evidence that I was right.

Also, I recommend that you read more carefully.  The article was citing a Bloomberg article, not "quoting itself."
    Is Tags' sales slump being attributed to the Apple Watch? Not according to Tag. They say China's economic issues are the problem, which would make sense. China is reportedly the world's largest market for luxury watches, even bigger than the US. That's not to say the Apple Watch didn't have some impact too, it might, but China's problems are likely the big issue.
  • Reply 22 of 87
    richl wrote: »
    Not a fan of Tag watches but it's great to see other companies attempting to challenge the Apple Watch.

I too am glad that other companies are trying.

I'll be even gladder when they inevitably fail. Not because I want it to be that way, but because it shows what Apple puts into something before it puts it out there (leaving aside the fact that, unlike its competitors, it never announces vaporware).

Hopefully, such examples of failure will up the competitors' game in the future.
  • Reply 23 of 87
    gatorguy wrote: »

You are wrong.  Since the Apple Watch came out, there have been countless people arguing that it would not take sales away from luxury watch brands.  I know, because I argued with those people for days.  This is pretty good evidence that I was right.

Also, I recommend that you read more carefully.  The article was citing a Bloomberg article, not "quoting itself."
    Is Tags' sales slump being attributed to the Apple Watch? Not according to Tag. They say China's economic issues are the problem, which would make sense. China is reportedly the world's largest market for luxury watches, even bigger than the US. That's not to say the Apple Watch didn't have some impact too, it might, but China's problems are likely the big issue.

But, of course.... :rolleyes:
  • Reply 24 of 87
    sflagel wrote: »
    Correct, no one is saying that except this site. This site is quoting itself.

Except 'taking sales away' wasn't the claim. People here were predicting the demise of the watch companies.
  • Reply 25 of 87
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

Back in the 1990's I had the income, so I bought a low-end Tag for ~$850. It was a battery powered silver watch with Gold trim. It looked great, but one thing that nagged me was that the second hand didn't hit the tick marks around the dial. So, I called Tag and asked if they could fix that; to which they gave me the address to send the watch in for adjustments. I packed the watch up well, and insured it for $1,000 and mailed it in.

For reasons that defy explanation, the watch was destroyed in transit. It's as if a semi-trailer backed over it. My new watch was crushed.

Then Tag managed to accept the package anyway, despite obvious damage to the package.

Then Tag managed to discard the package I had insured, and put the remains into a plastic bag, and mailed it back to me.

Without the shipping package, without a rejection for damage waiver - Tag had effectively removed my insurance, and returned a brand new $850 watch to me as crushed junk.

So, it is with great joy that I read that Tag is going to suffer. Tag cheated me out of a $850 watch back in the early 1990's; and now I will enjoy my Apple watch and laugh at them as they curl up and shrink into semi-obscurity.

I must say I regard the veracity of your story with great skepticism. You claim the watch was damaged/crushed,yet you also state Tag had no role in that. Then you claim they effectively removed your insurance. Did you file a claim? Did you get a statement from Tag attesting to the condition it was in when they took delivery of it? What steps did you take to remedy the situation? Sorry, bour story just doesn't add up to being believable as you told it. 

• Reply 26 of 87
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    People here were predicting the demise of the watch companies.

Who? When? Link? Cite?

Or did you just make it up?
  • Reply 27 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't believe it is public knowledge that it will not work with iPhone. Google is closely involved in the project and we all know how interested they are in iOS apps. There might be a pretty good chance Google will write a Tag Heuer app for iPhone.

So what! It's not an integrated solution, basically second, or even third best.

This watch will have to compete with V2 of the Apple watch and I'm sure they've seen nothing yet...

They'll be offering something that barely competes with V1 on software/systems that's a certainty for their vaporware.

Any company who uses Android Wear is an idiot, as been proved many times by current Android OEM's.

From Apple, V2 is the one that will really kills their goose ;-).

• Reply 28 of 87
    Competition is good for Apple.... I just wish it was better competition.
  • Reply 29 of 87
    Android in a tag? It's like putting a ford engine in a Mercedes. Two different levels of perception of quality and reliability..
  • Reply 30 of 87
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,666member
    Except 'taking sales away' wasn't the claim. People here were predicting the demise of the watch companies.

Bullshit.

People were predicting the complete failure of the Apple Watch. And others were countering that, saying that it's going to seriously hurt the incumbent luxury watch makers.
  • Reply 31 of 87
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 22July2013 View Post

While I am an Apple fan, I do not wish failure on Apple's competitors. I wish them all the success in the world. If they can make a better watch than Apple, good for them and good for us. And it may even make the watch market grow, which might even be good for Apple.

its not about building a watch, its about the software.  And with Android its destined to fail hard.

android is for budget devices. The exact opposite of Tag.

Tell that to the folks at Vertu and the folks who buy their phones.

• Reply 32 of 87
    laytech wrote: »
    Android in a tag? It's like putting a ford engine in a Mercedes. Two different levels of perception of quality and reliability..

Didn't you mean to say "Ford engine in a Jaguar" ? :p
  • Reply 33 of 87
    guyr wrote: »
    hodar & right said fred, sounds like NY isn't a great place. In future I would get the jeweler you bought it from to send it back, that way you are released of the responsibility and they have direct channels to the service centre - that's what I did when my Monaco had an issue after 6 months ( Chrono's are sensitive ) and got it fixed and back within the month through the jeweler.

Anyone buying a $1000 automatic watch, you are paying for the watch making. When you buy it you are looking long term, with minor servicing in mind. You are not looking to be chopping and changing the device every few years and certainly not viewing it as disposable - which if you buy an iphone, ipad, Mac that cost more than a swiss watch, you'll be doing ( that said current devices have a longer useful life than those of 5 years ago )

I don't see the Apple watches going the same way as swiss watches, it will be interesting to see if people have the same watch in 5 or 10 years, or have upgraded to the latest version, or are able to get parts replaced easily - other than straps.

To Our Dear Canadian Friend Returning From A Curling Tournament In The Northwest Territories,

With great sadness and sympathy in our hearts that you were unable to receive an Internet connection and our condolences, that the horse your trying to beat has died a thousand deaths and has been peacefully laid to rest many moons ago.

RIP The Horse Of Course, Mr. Ed. :smokey:
  • Reply 34 of 87
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Geekmee View Post

Competition is good for Apple.... I just wish it was better competition.

Funny. Nobody here says "competition is good for TAG" Or Rolex. Or whatever. But many get defensive about any competition from Apple.

• Reply 35 of 87
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

Tell that to the folks at Vertu and the folks who buy their phones.

Russia doens't count. They're Russian!

• Reply 36 of 87

Who? When? Link? Cite?

alfiejr wrote: »

it's the end of an era.

beautiful Swiss premium mechanical watches have defined the premium market for many decades. including high fashion jewelry watches.

that's over now.
  • Reply 37 of 87
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    sog35 wrote: »
    but,but,but,but, Apple watch won't steal any share from Swiss watches....

Can we stop with the posts that begin the stuttering but but but? It comes across as incredibly childish
  • Reply 38 of 87
    spheric wrote: »

Bullshit.

People were predicting the complete failure of the Apple Watch. And others were countering that, saying that it's going to seriously hurt the incumbent luxury watch makers.

People, what people? The only one predicting complete failure was Benjamin Frost, and there wasn't a shortage of people claiming that Rolex, Omega, etc.. would become the new Palm, or Blackberry. In other words either dead, or having a slow death.
  • Reply 39 of 87

Who? When? Link? Cite?

alfiejr wrote: »

it's the end of an era.

beautiful Swiss premium mechanical watches have defined the premium market for many decades. including high fashion jewelry watches.

that's over now.

You might wish to ponder the distinction between "people here predicted" versus "one person slightly exaggerated for effect."

That's all you got!? Pathetic.
  • Reply 40 of 87
    levi wrote: »
    sog35 wrote: »
    but,but,but,but, Apple watch won't steal any share from Swiss watches....

Can we stop with the posts that begin the stuttering but but but? It comes across as incredibly childish

But, but.... So what?