Buyers skew towards higher-capacity iPhones, iPhone Upgrade Program shows early popularity

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited October 2015
iPhone shoppers are increasingly favoring high-end, 64- and 128-gigabyte models, and showing strong early interest in Apple's new interest-free iPhone Upgrade Program, data from an RBC Capital Markets survey suggests.

Out of a group of over 6,400 people, 51 percent said they intend to buy a 64-gigabyte iPhone model while 16 percent chose 128 gigabytes, RBC remarked in a Thursday memo provided to AppleInsider. Those numbers are up from 48 percent and 12 percent last year, respectively. Interest in 16-gigabyte models simultaneously declined from 40 percent to 33 percent.

Some 20 percent of respondents said they plan to sign up for the iPhone Upgrade Program. Though subscribers must pay at least $32.41 per month for two years, depending on the configuration they choose, the plan entitles them to get a new iPhone every year, each one covered by an AppleCare+ warranty.

Both factors could potentially make significant contributions to Apple's gross margins and earnings per share. RBC estimated that Apple takes in margins of over 85 percent on memory, since the company charges far more than memory upgrades actually cost to produce.

On the iPhone Upgrade Program, RBC noted that when assuming a U.S. install base of approximately 200 million units, 20 percent of that could contribute roughly $0.15 to EPS.

In the meantime RBC is holding to an "outperform" rating and $150 price target for Apple stock, with forecast revenue of $50.1 billion for the September quarter, generating earnings per share of $1.83. iPhone shipments are predicted to be 45.2 million. For the December quarter, iPhone numbers are expected to go up to 78.2 million, contributing to a revenue forecast of $81.5 billion with $3.47 in EPS.

Apple is set to reveal results from its September quarter on Oct. 27.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

So, 1 out of 3 new iPhone purchases is 16-GB version. This is why Apple won't discontinue this version. Unless you see 15% or less on 16-GB version sold, Apple may do 32-GB to start.

• Reply 2 of 43
    "How can we spin this to further erode AAPL?" —Apple Analysts
  • Reply 3 of 43
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    As IOS9 is claimed to have only 1GB footprint, Apple should also sell 8GB version for $550 - $600. Also would be nice if they have bundled Apple Music subscription with the 50GB tier iCloud plan for the same $10/month price.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    jason98 wrote: »
    As IOS9 is claimed to have only 1GB footprint, Apple should also sell 8GB version for $550 - $600. Also would be nice if they have bundled Apple Music subscription with the 50GB tier iCloud plan for the same $10/month price.
    The update is only 1.3GB. I'd imagine the actual OS takes up just a tad more space than that in total.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

They already do - it's called the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.. which dropped $100 respectively. The iPhone 5s actually dropped to $450

• Reply 6 of 43
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    So, 1 out of 3 new iPhone purchases is 16-GB version. This is why Apple won't discontinue this version. Unless you see 15% or less on 16-GB version sold, Apple may do 32-GB to start.

Yup. Us former 32GB owners came out as winners. 16GB users not so much. I guess in Phil Schiiller's mind $649 for a phone is cheap.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    This is bad news, people are buying the more expensive models. It can only mean doom for Apple.

On the other hand, analysts are finding it more difficult to do their job of tearing down Apple and will have to make negative stuff up. Oh, wait...they've been doing that for a long time now.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Higher margin

Sold out in China

iPhone Upgrade Program ispopular

iPad sales rising

Apple selling every phone they can make

Apple Watch doing well

Apple Watch 2.0 coming up

To me all signs point up. 

I think one huge point of misunderstanding is to say "well, the smartphone market is saturated!"

Yeah it's saturated with Android products. Apple can double its global sales and marketshare no problem -- it's just coming at the EXPENSE of Android.

Lotsa room to grow. 

I'm long on Apple stock.

• Reply 9 of 43
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    16/64/128 is killer market positioning for apple.

16gb - gov/education/business users; kids; old people who only use email/web
    64gb - tech savy users; media/app/gaming consumers
    128gb - wealthy; media hoarders; early adopters; enthusiasts
  • Reply 10 of 43
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

So, 1 out of 3 new iPhone purchases is 16-GB version. This is why Apple won't discontinue this version. 

Amen. Amen. Amen.

Bloggers don't get it. 1/3 of iPhone owners couldn't tell you what color they bought let alone how much storage they have. It doesn't matter to the basic consumer.

• Reply 11 of 43
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Does not mean a damn thing.

Apple has grown Revenue and EPS by about 50% since 2012.
    Yet the market cap of Apple is down $40,000,000,000 since Sept 2012

Who cares if Apple sells 90,000,000 iPhones at all time high margins in the Dec quarter.
    Wall Street azzholes will just say this is peak iPhone and they won't be able to beat it next year.

I'm so sick of this shiit

I risk my hard earned money on the stock and made the right call that Apple would destroy Samsung and the rest of the phone market.  I was correct on all accounts and EPS exploded 50% growth. Yet I get rewarded with a return slightly worse than inflation.  Sick of this shitt.
    Perhaps if timely (short term) return on investment is your goal there's better current choices than Apple stock and you should look elsewhere. If taking on that additional risk for higher rewards isn't a wise choice for your retirement strategy then Apple is a really good option to look at. Is that fairly accurate?
  • Reply 12 of 43
    with google photos and streaming audio and video now a days i dont need more than 16 gigs. i still have 9 gigs free after installing apps i use.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    512ke wrote: »
    Higher margin

They're actually losing money. 50+% of the people are going for the 64GB model which prior to the iPhone 6 was a $200 upgrade from the 16GB model. Now it's only a $100 more, and since the 64GB model costs more to make than the 32GB Apple is getting a smaller profit margin from the users that stood at the second tier.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    They're actually losing money. 50+% of the people are going for the 64GB model which prior to the iPhone 6 was a $200 upgrade from the 16GB model. Now it's only a $100 more, and since the 64GB model costs more to make than the 32GB Apple is getting a smaller profit margin from the users that stood at the second tier.
    wrong. Flash storage gets cheaper. Previous 64-GB owners were a small number and not budget users. For the same price, they would take 128GB instead of staying at 64GB to save $100. Even for me now as mid tier 64GB user, if Apple line up 64/128/256GB, I would go for 128GB instead save $100 at 64GB.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    wrong. Flash storage gets cheaper. Previous 64-GB owners were a small number and not budget users. For the same price, they would take 128GB instead of staying at 64GB to save $100.

You have proof, or you're just guessing?
  • Reply 16 of 43
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

...if Apple line up 64/128/256GB, I would go for 128GB instead save $100 at 64GB.

A 256GB iPhone?!? That would be interesting. Though, it would seem to run counter to their cloud philosophy.

• Reply 17 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You have proof, or you're just guessing?

I guess it would seem that is what anecdotal evidence would suggest (e.g. a 1TB Crucial SSD was $1,000 a few years ago, and is $350 now).

• Reply 18 of 43
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    wrong. Flash storage gets cheaper. Previous 64-GB owners were a small number and not budget users. For the same price, they would take 128GB instead of staying at 64GB to save $100. Even for me now as mid tier 64GB user, if Apple line up 64/128/256GB, I would go for 128GB instead save $100 at 64GB.

Apparently it doesn't get cheaper for Apple or they choose not to pass the savings on to consumers?
  • Reply 19 of 43
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

One third are the 16GB models? That's an impressive number.

• Reply 20 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

256 sounds like a niche device.

16/64/128 seems like the sweet spot for now.  I would not mind seeing 16/32/64/128 at $650/$700/$750/$850

I have to believe that 32GB of storage would probably cost Apple today, what 16GB cost them a few years ago. It would stand to reason, then, that the 16GB of storage in the "low-end" model probably costs them next to nothing.