Tim Cook meets with NPR to discuss data privacy, government back doors, taxes and more

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    Ha Ha "Tim Cook" "Back doors". C'mon appleinsider, I thought you were better than this.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    ireland wrote: »
    Steve didn't do everything right, by the way. Cook is right to do interviews that bring up questions related security in a public forum. These issues and political and need public awareness to be won long term. Not to mention that conversations on these matters which Apple's CEO on NPR advertise Apple's stance on this and bring about awareness of a great side of Apple to the general public.

Agreed. Also that the question of the Apple car caught him off guard, but I think his laughter was not nervous but genuine. It's his way of saying, in effect, "ha, ha, nice try."

It works well. The interviewer gets props for a good serve, doesn't mind when Tim smacks it back over the net.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    flaneur wrote: »
    Agreed. Also that the question of the Apple car caught him off guard, but I think his laughter was not nervous but genuine. It's his way of saying, in effect, "ha, ha, nice try."

It works well. The interviewer gets props for a good serve, doesn't mind when Tim smacks it back over the net.

I think it was a mixed reaction with nervousness and ha ha, nice try. It was the biggest poker tell he's given on the car thing and wouldn't translate well over a transcript. You could tell by his reaction he was caught off guard. You recovered well but it was obvious he has a strong hand.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

If you look in the Privacy tab in Safari 9, they have changed the cookie options. And it’s not just a name change, because the default setting lets a *lot* more cookies through than the old Safari used to. So I think it’s a case of the CEO saying one thing (about privacy) and lower levels of management implementing something else.

• Reply 25 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Bob Siegel is far and away one of the greatest interviewers, across any medium, in the US.

• Reply 26 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

If you look in the Privacy tab in Safari 9, they have changed the cookie options. And it’s not just a name change, because the default setting lets a *lot* more cookies through than the old Safari used to. So I think it’s a case of the CEO saying one thing (about privacy) and lower levels of management implementing something else.

1) Manage them, then. There's all sorts of good Safari add-ons to do that.

2) Install something like Ghostery.

3) Stop whining.

• Reply 27 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

1) Manage them, then. There's all sorts of good Safari add-ons to do that.

2) Install something like Ghostery.

3) Stop whining.

Oh dear, you've picked up Solipsism's (rather crass) habit of numbering your points.

• Reply 28 of 37
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    ascii wrote: »

Oh dear, you've picked up Solipsism's (rather crass) habit of numbering your points.

1. It may be crass (is crass the right word?) but it makes things very clear.
    2. Nothing is worse than a stream of consciousness rant
    3. :)
  • Reply 29 of 37
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    moreck wrote: »
    Smart people listen to NPR.
    There is lots of good programming on NPR, for sure. To call NPR 'leftist' is an extreme 'rightist' thing to do, of course. Questioning and challenging the powers that be is, in my view, an essential part of the democratic process and as such NPR serves its role well as a public broadcaster. My guess is that if one day the US elects a 'leftist' government, and the mainstream media rally behind that government and become its left of centre mouthpiece, people will complain that NPR is too 'rightist'.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

2. Nothing is worse than a stream of consciousness rant

Well, that's true.

• Reply 31 of 37
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Really? Does radio pay me for the bandwidth my government gives them for free?

I always find it a tad ironic that Rush Limbaugh -- that intellectual bastion of the rightists -- mooches off my bandwidth. A public good that belongs to you and me.

Plenty of other stations to listen to while he is on in the market where I reside.  I assume in yours too.

• Reply 32 of 37
    icoco3 wrote: »

Plenty of other stations to listen to while he is on in the market where I reside.  I assume in yours too.

You may have missed the point of the post.... But I am sure you'll figure it out.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Do Apple Pay much tax overseas? From what I've herd they pay little tax in Europe thanks to the Irish office. But one good thing with not bringing the money back to USA is that they can spend it with good conscious overseas. Sweden is a small country but they still have three Apple stores. That must be overseas money the can't bring back home.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Do Apple Pay much tax overseas? From what I've herd they pay little tax in Europe thanks to the Irish office. But one good thing with not bringing the money back to USA is that they can spend it with good conscious overseas. Sweden is a small country but they still have three Apple stores. That must be overseas money the can't bring back home.

Not sure what you mean by 'much,' but Apple pays all the taxes that it is required to, overseas.

However, like any other US multinational, it minimizes taxes. If one believes in the goal of shareholder value creation, that is indeed the right thing to do. All major tech companies adopt an exactly similar strategy.

What compounds the problem is that US corporate tax rates are massively higher than that of the other industrial nations, and the US also has a habit of taxing the worldwide income of companies on profits brought back home (while most of the rest of the world only taxes territorial income). So US companies leave it outside the country until it is really needed back home, or borrow against it, with the result that less reinvestment happens in the US than might be the case if its tax rates were in line with that of other industrialized countries.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

I always find it a tad ironic that Rush Limbaugh -- that intellectual bastion of the rightists -- mooches off my bandwidth. A public good that belongs to you and me.
    We ARE supposedly paid. Radio and TV broadcasters are required to offer free services valuable to you and me, "operating in the public interest" as it were, as a condition of using your leased-from-the-taxpayer bandwidth. The FTC just has very loose definitions of what types of programming satisfactorily meets that requirement. Once upon a time it meant allotting airtime to local public service groups or activities. Today the FTC accepts the argument from broadcasters that the public requirement can be met with their regular programming without giving up airtime.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Quote:

'Coverage' of what? Domestic news? Global news? Business news? Arts and Entertainmemt news? Politics news?

I'll grant that NPR has a bit of a liberal bias (and their excessive focus on issues of race can rankle), but from your silly post, I am guessing that intelligently produced and delivered high-quality information creates congnitive dissonance in your life.

I assume you watch or listen to a lot of Fox News?

A bit of a liberal bias? You're being quite generous! ;) But calling out NPR for its bias doesn't mean you get to presume to know someone (although you may be using knowledge of prior posts). You seem to use the term "cognitive dissonance" pretty loosely for someone so quick to judge someone else based on very little information. Is it that difficult to believe that someone can feel NPR is liberally biased, and not be a right winger/fox news watcher?

Quote:

Well, that is your rightist view. The 'center' in US politics is probably further right than ever before.

I don't think that's really the case, but I think that's the perception as the right has become increasingly more extreme, and more shrill.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The Apple Car question caught him off guard clearly. Nervous laughter response and other giveaways. It's completely obvious what Apple's doing. Should be in interesting Apple when they release a car: wow, exciting times.

Also give us an OLED Apple television with great sound built in.

This interview seems to me another example of Tim's fantastic leadership and genius. Not only is he providing information, but the message is very carefully delivered. To me his laughter seemed like a deliberate attempt to ham up the secrecy and get people more intrigued. He could have easily defused it by saying "we investigate many different things..", but he kept it going by refusing to even say that. I thought it was a great interview. 

Quote:

There is lots of good programming on NPR, for sure. To call NPR 'leftist' is an extreme 'rightist' thing to do, of course. Questioning and challenging the powers that be is, in my view, an essential part of the democratic process and as such NPR serves its role well as a public broadcaster. My guess is that if one day the US elects a 'leftist' government, and the mainstream media rally behind that government and become its left of centre mouthpiece, people will complain that NPR is too 'rightist'.

With due respect paxman, NPR is clearly biased left (In spite of this, they often have great programming). The left has been riding this idea that they are challenging the status quo in some self righteous endeavor, when in reality it's been nothing but quixotic rhetoric for quite a while. The democrats are just as "establishment" as the right, although they hide it better (in hypocritical fashion, I might add). The sooner we can accept this, the sooner we can find common ground, and actually do something about the establishment's disproportionate power and influence. Bernie seems to be focusing almost exclusively on these common ground issues, which is why I'm putting aside his rather extreme leftist views and supporting him. /rant

• Reply 37 of 37
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Who gave the government (or anyone, honestly) permission to own airwaves? Does someone own oxygen? The wind? Should I freak out if someone has solar panels because they're stealing my photons?

Because there needs to be control over who broadcasts using those airwaves, or you'll have a cluster fuçk (thanks to [@]SolipsismY[/@] for that spelling loophole) of entities trying to broadcast over one another on the same frequencies.