Tim Cook to receive Human Rights Campaign's Visibility Award for LGBT efforts

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    jessi wrote: »

Suicide is a problem among gay youths, in part because they lack role models.

Oh, I get that. But has Tim Cook's truth prevented any of those scenarios? To use the verb "has" suggests there would be case studies.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ttollerton View Post

I get the award, but has his decision to "speak his truth" really "saved lives?" Do we have any concrete examples? I certainly could be wrong in this case, but sometimes I think we go a little over the top in this society in assigning descriptions.

I don't think there will be a flood of young people reporting that Tim being out gave them a shining star of hope, but rest assured this has happened.  Our country is 300 million and there are millions of young gay men exposed to hate still, though in the past few years it has died down.  When I was young, positive words from a teacher saved my life. 

• Reply 23 of 38
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    mac_dog wrote: »
    Not really. Until coming out ceases to be met with sarcasm, hate & anger from bigots, it will still be a struggle.

Oh yeah, and congrats, Tim!
    I agree. Also what non gays often don't see is that preceding the coming out bit there has been a lot of soul searching and personal identity issues. Realizing you are gay often happens during early teens as sexual self awareness grows. This is linked with a lot of other existential issues related to identity (remember being a teenager?). A lot of barriers may be broken down but it is still problematic. The world is still predominantly hetro so to come out as gay is to stand out and be different, personally and publicly. Not always easy for anybody.
  • Reply 24 of 38

Congratulations Tim!

I'll be at the dinner cheering you on.  For people who don't know, this award is for far more than Tim Cook just coming out as the first openly gay CEO of a major corporation, this has a lot to do with Tim Cook's personal contributions to HRC.  It's a very nice honor for him.  And by the way, they give awards to those who aren't LGBT as well.  Someone very close to me received an award for fighting for human rights for all people.

So instead of complaining that you'd rather see Tim Cook coding at Apple 24/7 to improve Apple Maps or whatever, how about recognizing that he's both provided good will and promotion for Apple while making the world a better place with his personal resources (including time). 

Even if you're not LGBT, you might want to take a look at hrc.org and what they work to accomplish.  This is the national dinner tomorrow in DC, but there are other dinners across the country, including San Francisco, next month.  I'm not LGBT, but go to these events and contribute to hrc.org because it's a worthwhile cause to support all human rights.

• Reply 25 of 38
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Oh boy. I don't have a good feeling about this thread.

I expect it will disappoint.
    See...it wasn't so bad after all.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Oh boy. I don't have a good feeling about this thread.

I expect it will disappoint.

See...it wasn't so bad after all.

Hawthorne Effect;)

• Reply 27 of 38
    Congratulations Tim!

I'll be at the dinner cheering you on.  For people who don't know, this award is for far more than Tim Cook just coming out as the first openly gay CEO of a major corporation, this has a lot to do with Tim Cook's personal contributions to HRC.  It's a very nice honor for him.  And by the way, they give awards to those who aren't LGBT as well.  Someone very close to me received an award for fighting for human rights for all people.

So instead of complaining that you'd rather see Tim Cook coding at Apple 24/7 to improve Apple Maps or whatever, how about recognizing that he's both provided good will and promotion for Apple while making the world a better place with his personal resources (including time). 

Even if you're not LGBT, you might want to take a look at hrc.org and what they work to accomplish.  This is the national dinner tomorrow in DC, but there are other dinners across the country, including San Francisco, next month.  I'm not LGBT, but go to these events and contribute to hrc.org because it's a worthwhile cause to support all human rights.

HRC (both the person and fhe organization) does a lot that I disagree with, so pardon me if I don't join in the celebration.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

HRC (both the person and fhe organization) does a lot that I disagree with, so pardon me if I don't join in the celebration.

Just curious, what does HRC (the organization) do that you disagree with?

• Reply 29 of 38
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member

If the LGBT community wants to give credit where it's due, all fine and good. But it's too narrowly focused for this man. Tim's contributions are remarkable and transformative when viewed in any context, which is in this case the much larger community of mankind. What's truly amazing about Tim Cook is that he has been able to transform a company that was seen by so many as being an intense personification of one man's will and genius into a company that is very team focused, inclusive, representative, and aligned around the brand itself and what the brand represents in the minds and hearts of its customers. He has led the transformation of Apple and the results have been nothing less than staggering. Steve's support for turning over the leadership of Apple to Tim Cook was no less genius than the many other brilliant decisions that Steve made for bolstering the success of Apple. 

• Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebor View Post

I am confused. Being gay is not a human right, it is a sexual orientation, as much as being hetero is. Unless this organisation wants to honour him for being outspoken about a perceived taboo, for which he does deserve accolades, this is non-sense, but then it should be clarified that he is being honoured for exercising his right to freedom of speech. Although I was not aware that uttering the words "I am gay" has been prohibited in the USA. So what is the point?

Until gays have the EXACT same rights as straights, people like Tim Cook need to be honored for coming out in support of equality. You're trivialization of this is insulting.

• Reply 31 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Because coming out in 2015 is so hard. You totally don't get calls from the president and media fawning everywhere.

I mean, their organization, do what they want, but sheesh is it not "hard".

Wow, it always amazes me how many ignorant people these types of stories provoke to speak their mind.

Quite simply TheWhiteFalcon, you do not know of which you speak. When people are getting killed in some parts of the world for coming out, clearly it's much harder than you imply. Granted, coming out in the US is easier compared to say the Arab world, but it's hardly a picnic. Gays are not exactly embraced by everyone. Does the name Matthew Shephard ring a bell?

Here's an idea. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. I realize that's harder for the younger generation, but you might try it sometime. Works great for preventing people from thinking you're a douche bag.

• Reply 32 of 38
    eborebor Posts: 5member

Thank you for the accolades.  I am saying that being gay is not a human right.  Claiming to be gay does not make it a human right.  So what does an organisation honouring people's fight for the human rights have to do with this?  To me this looks like a publicity stunt.

Gays do have the exact same human rights as non-gays or bis or whatever.  They have the same rights under the law, as long as they do not break the law.  Being gay does not break the law.  If you mean gay people will be treated differently because they cannot give birth, well, that is mother nature being the a-hole, not me.  

I do not give a darn about whether Tim Cook or anyone else are gay, hetero, bi, multi, what have you.  As long as they do their jobs properly, they can do or leave as they like in their bedroom.  If they want to talk about their love live publicly, fine too.  But just because someone shares another sexual orientation than the majority of people around them and talks about it does not make them white knights of the human rights.  That will need much, much more effort.

• Reply 33 of 38
    Originally Posted by initiator View Post

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

That’s a pathetic and idiotic mindset.

I realize that's harder for the younger generation

Nice personal attack coupled with a lack of comprehension. The “younger generation” is so caught up in PC BS that they’re unable to say anything at all.

...thinking you’re a douche bag.

Thanks for immediately subverting what you demand of others. Seriously, thanks; it proves my initial point flawlessly.

• Reply 34 of 38

tired of this homosexual propaganda, time to vote republican this time

• Reply 35 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ebor View Post

I am confused. 

It gets better.

• Reply 36 of 38
    The propaganda psy-ops marketing manifesto the homosexualist sex movement is using is titled "Overhauling Straight America". It's the source of the long since exposed and discredited "Born Gay" hoax, the desensitization via swarming society with all things homosexual tactic, the negative psychological negative associative conditioning technique called "Jamming", the tactic of cloaking all attacks on the basic human and civil rights of normal people as "anti-discrimination" and the tactic of downplaying and denying homosexuals' child molestation epidemic till they can finalize mainstreaming it of which they are working on feverishly.

As to the so called Human Rights Campaign which has been identified as a hate group, their founder Terrence Bean was arrested last year for, you guessed it, child molestation. This potential public relations nightmare has been met with stonewalling silence by the homosexualists' media allies, and the huge democratic party operative and financial bundler and HRC cofounder Terrence Bean camp has been caught trying and with probable success buying off the silence of his victim with millions.

Cook, stick to making insanely great products and keep your aberrant, disordered sex perversion chosen lifestyle and the gaystapo politics of hate that come with it to yourself.
  • Reply 37 of 38

Readers, this scripted tactic of accusing your opponents of being homosexual comes from Overhauling Straight America and its followup full blown manifesto, the psy-ops propaganda bible that the homosexual movement preaches, proselytizes and thumps.  Here are some excerpts.

"The homosexual agenda can succeed by conversion of the average Americans emotions, mind, and will, through a planned psychological attack in the form of propaganda to the nation via media." (page 153)

"It is acceptable to call people “Homophobic” ... if they do not agree 100% with homosexual views, opinions, or behavior." (page xxiii)

"All speech that is opposing homosexual behavior should be banned under “clear and present danger to public order” (page 101)

• Reply 38 of 38

@initiator

You need to craw
    l out of your CroMagnon homosexual bigot cave and leave your hate filled, intolerant, mean spirited, heterophobic, ignorant bullying and hate mongering ignorance behind you.

Join the modern, progressive 20th century and just live and let live instead of bashing everyone who refuses to convert under homosexualist gaystapo bashing, bullying and terroristic threats to convert to your fiery brand of Homo-Sharia.