New Philips Hue Bridge brings support for Apple HomeKit, Siri voice control

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    jbdragon wrote: »
    Still, in the future, if I can go up to my Front Door and hold my phone over the lock using say NFC and unlock my door as simple as Apple Pay works, that would be great!!!  

you can do this today. uses BT. and some of these locks can use wifi to show you when somebody's at the door and let you unlock it remotely if desired.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

yes, from 600 to 800 lumens, i believe. thats a welcome improvement as i felt they were too dim even when maxed.

but im concerned about the color spectrum -- the v1 bulbs didnt do blues & greens well, because the diodes were very warm, thus they reproduced warm incandescent light perfectly. have they retained this ability?

The light bulbs in the new starer kit say 800 lumens on them. 

Since I can't post pictures right now, I found these online of the new bulbs:

http://imgur.com/a/r1p3V

I only tried one bulb so far, but they do seem to do greens and blues a little better. I'm waiting for my other bulbs to come in before I set it all up. The Hue app was just updated this morning to add Siri support. 

• Reply 23 of 35
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    The light bulbs in the new starer kit say 800 lumens on them. 

Since I can't post pictures right now, I found these online of the new bulbs:

http://imgur.com/a/r1p3V

I only tried one bulb so far, but they do seem to do greens and blues a little better. I'm waiting for my other bulbs to come in before I set it all up. The Hue app was just updated this morning to add Siri support. 

yes, the new bulbs are up to 800 lumens, the old were 600.

while your new bulbs can do greens & blues better, can they reproduce warm incandescents as well as the previous?
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Quote:

or like an Airport Extreme without a blue circle:

You mean Express... But yeah. 

• Reply 25 of 35
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

yes, the new bulbs are up to 800 lumens, the old were 600.

while your new bulbs can do greens & blues better, can they reproduce warm incandescents as well as the previous?

That's one thing I didn't try yet. My extra bulbs are supposed to arrive tomorrow so I'll be setting everything up then. I can take pictures of the different colors and the warm colors then post them on my photo website I have. I'll pm you the link. If you want to see how a certain color scene looks, just let me know. 

• Reply 26 of 35
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    That's one thing I didn't try yet. My extra bulbs are supposed to arrive tomorrow so I'll be setting everything up then. I can take pictures of the different colors and the warm colors then post them on my photo website I have. I'll pm you the link. If you want to see how a certain color scene looks, just let me know. 

cool, yeah let me know how they go for you!
  • Reply 27 of 35
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Correct me if I am wrong. One bridge for my Hue lights, another bridege for door locks, another bridge for controlling appliances or HVAC. And so on. I was under the impression Apple was going to make the next Apple TV a universal hub and allow all mfg.'s use API's so that iOS devices could be used to control all these differet devices. I have no interest if there is not a single control device. As one commentor pointed out. Maybe it is easier to get up and walk a few steps and flip a switch.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,023member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Correct me if I am wrong. One bridge for my Hue lights, another bridege for door locks, another bridge for controlling appliances or HVAC. And so on. I was under the impression Apple was going to make the next Apple TV a universal hub and allow all mfg.'s use API's so that iOS devices could be used to control all these differet devices. I have no interest if there is not a single control device. As one commentor pointed out. Maybe it is easier to get up and walk a few steps and flip a switch.

I think (speculation) that you will see a lot of bridges for existing systems that were not originally HomeKit aware devices.  Hue was out long before HomeKit so it's bulbs are not directly compatible, but with a bridge will work with the system.    I suspect that other current systems are similar but that we will eventually see compatible individual devices.

I run a small Insteon system and a separate Hue system.   I'm interested in adding these to a future Homekit based system.

• Reply 29 of 35
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

I sure hope it's more of a you can plug it in versus you must plug it in.  :D 

With the non-HomeKit version of Philips Hue, I did have to connect ethernet to it in order for it to work.

I suspect the same is true for the HomeKit bridge version of Hue. It is true of other HomeKit bridge devices (see: Lutron Caseta Wireless).

• Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

I think (speculation) that you will see a lot of bridges for existing systems that were not originally HomeKit aware devices.  Hue was out long before HomeKit so it's bulbs are not directly compatible, but with a bridge will work with the system.    I suspect that other current systems are similar but that we will eventually see compatible individual devices.

I run a small Insteon system and a separate Hue system.   I'm interested in adding these to a future Homekit based system.

I have an Insteon HomeKit Bridge. Your suspicion is correct - the point of using a bridge is for devices that predated HomeKit, or require low power for the data link. For devices that can be permanently powered (thermostats, security, garage door openers) they should become HomeKit-integrated (no bridge required.)

• Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

AppleTV is the device in your home, connected to your iCloud account, that allows you to control HomeKit devices when away from your home. It is not a bridge replacement or universal hub for random MFR's devices. It *may* allow you to turn devices on/off/activate scenes, but that's not known. The way to control HomeKit devices is from Siri, or an aggregator app like iDevices or Insteon's apps.

Today, you end up with a stack of bridges (a better word than hub for what they are) at your wifi router. In the future, most of the devices will have HomeKit built into the device itself, and not need the bridge.)

• Reply 32 of 35
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,023member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post

I have an Insteon HomeKit Bridge. Your suspicion is correct - the point of using a bridge is for devices that predated HomeKit, or require low power for the data link. For devices that can be permanently powered (thermostats, security, garage door openers) they should become HomeKit-integrated (no bridge required.)

How does the Insteon HomeKit bridge work?  Reviews on Amazon say it is NRFPT in a big way...    Will it work with all Insteon devices?  (sprinklers, garage door opener, etc) or just a subset?  Most of my use is for controlling a set of lights, and then the garage door and the sprinklers.  My sensors are mostly not working (which I don't care about after installing a security system).

• Reply 33 of 35
    Quote:

you can do this today. uses BT. and some of these locks can use wifi to show you when somebody's at the door and let you unlock it remotely if desired.

The Kwikset Kevo lock experience is:

Walk up to door. Phone with BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy / BT4.0 / Bluetooth Smart) is running the app in the background.) You tap the deadbolt housing (trigger capacitive sense), it recognizes the authorized phone in your pocket / purse, and unlocks the door.)

August Lock has the August Connect, a Bluetooth to Wi-Fi bridge. The experience is:

Walk up to door. Open app. Tap on app to unlock. When out in the world away from door, open app. Tap on "Remote" button on app display. *Then* tap to unlock.

• Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

How does the Insteon HomeKit bridge work?  Reviews on Amazon say it is NRFPT in a big way...    Will it work with all Insteon devices?  (sprinklers, garage door opener, etc) or just a subset?  Most of my use is for controlling a set of lights, and then the garage door and the sprinklers.  My sensors are mostly not working (which I don't care about after installing a security system).

The Insteon app should recognize all the Insteon devices. If it's not, or you have specific questions about specific devices, I can ask them for you. I have the Fan Linc, their thermostat, and outlet switches.

• Reply 35 of 35
    Quote:

luddite nonsense. i actually use these tools, unlike you. i find wall timers obtuse and a PITA...much, much easier to program a schedule on my iOS device and have my lighting run itself. likewise w/ the AC -- if i did as you suggest and manually turn it on/off all the time, what if i forgot it on after leaving the house? wasted money.

the idea isnt that you use your device as a remote (tho you can, and sometimes this is useful). the idea is that you get them running autonomously.

HomeKit at this time is a fancy remote. HOWEVER, triggers so it can run autonomously is coming.

Works with Nest is autonomous now.