Apple's angled camera concept could enable virtual keyboard docks

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    tommy0guns wrote: »

Media work is the ultimate concept for cloud. Consider editing video. The number one bottleneck for video production is rendering. This often takes hours and even days on some of the most high end home desktops. Now imagine using the same hardware that was used for Avatar. You could get the same result in a fraction of the time. You upload the raw footage to the cloud, edit it in real time on the remote servers, render it, and download it or serve it up from the cloud. The user NEVER needs to update any hardware since it's all server side. This IS the essence of cloud computing. Getting the same result, no matter the platform. Google itself is entirely cloud. You can search their entire database in nano-seconds from your refrigerator, car touch screen, or watch...and get exactly the same result. The only thing you need is a connection. The same with online multi-player games. Your computer keeps some basic info and textures, but the intense data crunching is all done in a giant warehouse somewhere. 

Perhaps - you probably know more than me. But you will still need processing power at your fingertips for dealing with such massive amounts of data so the idea that you 'never' need to upgrade your hardware is but wishful thinking. The bottleneck will be the uploading and downloading, I'd imagine. There are also costs associated with what you are suggesting. Access to such high powered hardware, dedicated high speed connections, redundancy, storage etc. An awful lot of media post production does not require such intensive rendering. Sure, you can use the Avatar software and hardware but that is only interesting if your production requires it.

I am not sure why you brought in Google. I don't see the advantage of Google in terms of mid to high end media post production.

Also, online gaming is very different from high def video streams, is it not? I am not a gamer but I was under the impression online gaming did not require massive amounts of data transfers.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Perhaps - you probably know more than me. But you will still need processing power at your fingertips for dealing with such massive amounts of data so the idea that you 'never' need to upgrade your hardware is but wishful thinking. The bottleneck will be the uploading and downloading, I'd imagine. There are also costs associated with what you are suggesting. Access to such high powered hardware, dedicated high speed connections, redundancy, storage etc. An awful lot of media post production does not require such intensive rendering. Sure, you can use the Avatar software and hardware but that is only interesting if your production requires it.

I am not sure why you brought in Google. I don't see the advantage of Google in terms of mid to high end media post production.

Also, online gaming is very different from high def video streams, is it not? I am not a gamer but I was under the impression online gaming did not require massive amounts of data transfers.

Here's an easy for instance, Siri. When you tell Siri a command, it records your sound file. Then it sends it to Apple's servers for processing. Next it cross references your own personal database(contacts, locations, etc), then commingles that with Apple's database for the most likely response and goes to web for the info. It does all this in real time. Very little is stored or processed on your phone. This is exactly why Siri doesn't work without internet. Try using Maps in airplane mode. There are no maps on your phone. This is all cloud. Network speed has finally caught up with the speed at which we play. So maps and Siri are served up from the web so seamlessly that you think you have a 3D version of the Eiffel Tower in you phone. (You can still use Maps after losing a connection because your phone temporarily downloads the surrounding area)