Disney animators test Apple's iPad Pro, reveal screen has roughed surface for drawing

Comments

• Reply 41 of 69
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,508member
    I agree with this. Much as I like the currently expected one, given that it'll set me back well over $1000, I think I am going to wait for V2 with the hope it'll have a faster processor and 256GB. That'll get pretty close to making it a substitute for my laptop for a lot of my daily use needs.

I'm nuts, as you all know. I buy a new one every year, though I didn't get the 4, for other reasons. So both my daughter and I will get this. My wife, who refuses to allow me to buy a new one for her, will get the iPad Air 2. It's enough for her, because she doesn't use it for the things my daughter and I will.

I am disappointed that they didn't come out with a new iPad Air 3. I suppose they have a problem with deciding which SoC to put inside. The A9 is much more powerful than the A8x in core to core performance, but loses in multicore. The graphics is better. The A9x will be much better all around, but if used in an Air, then it will compete too much with the Pro. Perhaps next year, we'll see an Air 3 with the A9x. I hope so. It will be dynamite with the lower Rez screen.
  • Reply 42 of 69
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I don't think the iPad Pro has the the Force Touch/3D Touch display layer, just a digitizer.

It does have force layer of some kind. That's the big thing here. A digitizer is a touch screen too. The big thing is multilevel support. At least 256 levels. It's different from what's on the phone, though, interestingly, the phone allows different pressure levels too. We've seen demos that clearly show, as Apple themselves showed during the presentation, writing on the screen with variable width lines in a signature.
  • Reply 43 of 69
    mac'em x wrote: »
    Oh my. That is not a place for storing styluses...

Ah, well, if that were it, it would fall out when you stood up straight.
  • Reply 44 of 69
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    I'm not a professional photographer, but I do it as a hobby. I'm really interested to see how photographers can use this. It will be nice if you can use the Apple Pencil for things such as selective adjustments, removing unwanted objects, etc. I imagine developers, such as those who make Pixelmator, will add a ton of cool new features to their apps to use with the Pencil. 

That's exactly what the stylus is going to be used for. Adobe is now redoing several of its apps, now most of which are free to everyone on iOS without a CC license. I assume most apps for this purpose will be updated. I know my CAD apps are being updated, and a number of draw and paint developers have already announced they will shortly have support. Hopefully, Apple will redo theirs as well.
  • Reply 45 of 69
    1983 wrote: »
    But will these guys be willing to give up their Wacom tablets for iPad Pro's in the future if suitable software becomes available?

It's not a yes or no answer. There are still several problems. The biggest, for Pro's and advanced amateurs, is that the screen is sRGB. We need at least Adobe RGB for serious work. Neither the Pro or the Surface have that. So any serious color work will still need to go on a real calibrated graphics monitor. Those who find an sRGB monitor to be enough aren't doing serious color.

But a lot of work can still be done here. Adobe said that now a RAW image of 50MB can be worked on. That's a good improvement, but is still short of what's really needed for comping and overlays, etc.

Nevertheless, it's a great start. I can see doing a lot of work, and finishing the final color and such on the Mac Pro. Generally, few people do work that's final on a notebook away from the studio. The big thing is non destructive editing. So we can finalize under more ideal conditions, and not have to carry a notebook and a Wacon around.
  • Reply 46 of 69
    Maybe not if they use Cintiq's in their production pipeline, but the iPad Pro is more functional and a better entry point for people getting into digital illustration and paint.

One thing that's nice though, is that there are several apps that allow you to use an ipad for Photoshop and other Mac software. They've been out for years. The main impediment is that the ipad has not allowed variable levels. That makes editing with it less than ideal, shall we say. It's also had too much lag to feel natural. But new newer iPads and faster WiFi, work much better.

With the Pro, and the Pencil, many of these issues have been delt with. If the apps allow little lag, then this will work very well. I'm really looking forwards to trying it.
  • Reply 47 of 69
    Here's a feature for the Apple Pencil I'd really love to see to enhance art apps...

It would be great if you could "overload" a brush with paint or ink and swing the pencil above the iPad Pro surface to "spatter" the surface using a particle physics model (a la Ralph Steadman's illustration style). This would also be great for calligraphy where randomness and spatter would be integral to the artwork.
  • Reply 48 of 69
    Here's a feature for the Apple Pencil I'd really love to see to enhance art apps...

It would be great if you could "overload" a brush with paint or ink and swing the pencil above the iPad Pro surface to "spatter" the surface using a particle physics model (a la Ralph Steadman's illustration style). This would also be great for calligraphy where randomness and spatter would be integral to the artwork.

Yeah, that would great. It would need some sort of electromagnetic field that would extend above the screen that the stylus would interact with. I doubt that's available here.
  • Reply 49 of 69
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

The nib might be replaceable just because it's a heavy-wear part. But I feel like I read something a while ago that the "texture" sensation is from the nib material rather than the surface. (Can't remember where, sorry.)

Sounds like interesting engineering, whatever it is, considering that the screen still looks crisp and clear, unlike a Cintiq!

I suspect Apple would address the matter a bit differently than Wacom. Wacom doesn't actually indicate in their product literature that you require something like needlenose pliers to remove the old nib. The newer generations also wear out quite fast, which is annoying. Then there's their stupid usb cord design.

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

My daughter and I are so stoked over this, it's hard to wait. She's a pro photographer and editor, and I used to do that professionally.

If this works as well as it looks to, it will be great. Having the equivalent of a Wacom built into a lightweight computer is a really useful tool. No longer needing to carry both a notebook and a Wacom is a liberating feeling, or will be. I'd love to see Adobe enhance their apps even more for this. The new Lightroom app for iOS is great, but doesn't include some things. The lack of a noise reduction tool is the biggest lack right now, and one I don't understand.

Next year, I'd like to see this with 6GB RAM, and a max of 256GB storage.

Also, since Apple doesn't offer a place for the Pencil, I'd like to see a clip for a pocket. Some of my styluses fall out if I bend over.

I thought you previously ran a photo lab.

• Reply 50 of 69
    hmm wrote: »
    I suspect Apple would address the matter a bit differently than Wacom. Wacom doesn't actually indicate in their product literature that you require something like needlenose pliers to remove the old nib. The newer generations also wear out quite fast, which is annoying. Then there's their stupid usb cord design.

I thought you previously ran a photo lab.

Yes, I ran a commercial photo lab for a long time. That was at the end of my career. In the very beginning, I was a fashion and advertising photographer. In between I was a partner in an audio electronics manufacturer.

What do you think I did there?
  • Reply 51 of 69
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Yes, I ran a commercial photo lab for a long time. That was at the end of my career. In the very beginning, I was a fashion and advertising photographer. In between I was a partner in an audio electronics manufacturer.

What do you think I did there?

Neat! You also mentioned being a developer at one point or another. I thought the progression sounded interesting, but I didn't recall any mention of photography. Didn't you mention being a developer at one point? I would have guessed that at the audio electronics business, but you just insinuated that you handled their product photography.

Quote:

It's not a yes or no answer. There are still several problems. The biggest, for Pro's and advanced amateurs, is that the screen is sRGB. We need at least Adobe RGB for serious work. Neither the Pro or the Surface have that. So any serious color work will still need to go on a real calibrated graphics monitor. Those who find an sRGB monitor to be enough aren't doing serious color.

I must have missed this one. There have been a few exceptional sRGB displays, and the areas that are clipped when compared to whatever Gracol or SWOP specification viewed under appropriate lighting aren't that different. I would argue that some of the earlier sRGB Eizos provided a better rendition than most Adobe RGB displays. The older ones also had nicer coatings than the new ones with LG panels.

Adobe RGB displays seem to do a better job with saturated reds for whatever reason, even though the profile itself extends further in the green values. Some of the weird colors like maroon clip in both, yet are contained within most CMYK profiles.I guess broadcast displays probably benefit more from it.

I am actually quite interested in this, because I hate Wacom with a passion. They're the only thing available, but parallax with the glass is irritating. Their usb cords fray. I've had driver issues. They're really quite annoying.

• Reply 52 of 69
    melgross wrote: »
    It does have force layer of some kind. That's the big thing here. A digitizer is a touch screen too. The big thing is multilevel support. At least 256 levels. It's different from what's on the phone, though, interestingly, the phone allows different pressure levels too. We've seen demos that clearly show, as Apple themselves showed during the presentation, writing on the screen with variable width lines in a signature.

I don't think so. I think the pressure levels are detected by the Pencil itself, and that Pencil-generated data transmitted to the iPad. I believe the iPad only tracks X/Y, with the Pencil providing the pressure levels info.

We will soon find out and resolve the speculation. Also, the mechanics of how it registers the detection of varying angles of the Pencil, relative to the screen surface.
  • Reply 53 of 69
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jm6032 View Post

Yes. My wife leads a string ensemble. Years ago we looked at iPads as electronic music books. The software and hardware was available, but the screen was too small. We will look again. Also, the screen must be bright enough to read outdoors.

You can always get a hood to help with outdoor visibility they work great.

• Reply 54 of 69
    Quote:

I'm nuts, as you all know. I buy a new one every year, though I didn't get the 4, for other reasons. So both my daughter and I will get this. My wife, who refuses to allow me to buy a new one for her, will get the iPad Air 2. It's enough for her, because she doesn't use it for the things my daughter and I will.

I am disappointed that they didn't come out with a new iPad Air 3. I suppose they have a problem with deciding which SoC to put inside. The A9 is much more powerful than the A8x in core to core performance, but loses in multicore. The graphics is better. The A9x will be much better all around, but if used in an Air, then it will compete too much with the Pro. Perhaps next year, we'll see an Air 3 with the A9x. I hope so. It will be dynamite with the lower Rez screen.

Though probably they will pixel double the screen at this point, and that's what's being holding them back for an update to dev's get an easy new layout to work on. Surely with so much pixel density competition going on the Air 2 screens is soon becoming a slight anachronism

• Reply 55 of 69
    Quote:

Yes, I ran a commercial photo lab for a long time. That was at the end of my career. In the very beginning, I was a fashion and advertising photographer. 

You must have got your fair share of action. I envy you, lol.

• Reply 56 of 69
    hmm wrote: »

Neat! You also mentioned being a developer at one point or another. I thought the progression sounded interesting, but I didn't recall any mention of photography. Didn't you mention being a developer at one point? I would have guessed that at the audio electronics business, but you just insinuated that you handled their product photography.

I must have missed this one. There have been a few exceptional sRGB displays, and the areas that are clipped when compared to whatever Gracol or SWOP specification viewed under appropriate lighting aren't that different. I would argue that some of the earlier sRGB Eizos provided a better rendition than most Adobe RGB displays. The older ones also had nicer coatings than the new ones with LG panels.

Adobe RGB displays seem to do a better job with saturated reds for whatever reason, even though the profile itself extends further in the green values. Some of the weird colors like maroon clip in both, yet are contained within most CMYK profiles.I guess broadcast displays probably benefit more from it.

I am actually quite interested in this, because I hate Wacom with a passion. They're the only thing available, but parallax with the glass is irritating. Their usb cords fray. I've had driver issues. They're really quite annoying.

Ive never been a developer. I did do work for DEC at one time, programming graphics software for the VAX. But that was a long time ago, and wasn't a main thing for me.

At first, I did do the product photos for Magnum Opus. But then I was offered a partnership, because I designed soeaker systems and electronics. So I do
    I'd that.

Well, an sRGB display will never have the same rendering as an Adobe RGB display. It can't. The color gamut is too small. I don't know of any serious color work that would be done on an sRGB display. HD broadcast is sRGB. But deep color is beginning to replace it. However, there are very few tv displays that can reproduce even sRGB, no matter what the price is. They're all variations of TNN, and such.

CMYK has the poorest color gamut because print, quite frankly, sucks.

Wacon is, by far, the best pro level graphics tablet. None other comes close. I've never had a problem with the regular tablets, or the Cintiq. I know a lot of people who love them. I do have hopes the iPad Pro will be even better, after some time.
  • Reply 57 of 69
    cobaltblue wrote: »
    I don't think so. I think the pressure levels are detected by the Pencil itself, and that Pencil-generated data transmitted to the iPad. I believe the iPad only tracks X/Y, with the Pencil providing the pressure levels info.

We will soon find out and resolve the speculation. Also, the mechanics of how it registers the detection of varying angles of the Pencil, relative to the screen surface.

It's both together. It doesn't do force the way the phone does. The pencil won't work without the detection layer, and the layer won't work without the pencil.
  • Reply 58 of 69
    shsf wrote: »

Though probably they will pixel double the screen at this point, and that's what's being holding them back for an update to dev's get an easy new layout to work on. Surely with so much pixel density competition going on the Air 2 screens is soon becoming a slight anachronism

I see no reason to double the screen Rez on the Air. That would be over 520 ppi. There's no point in that. But games would fly with it as it is and the faster SoC.
  • Reply 59 of 69
    shsf wrote: »
    You must have got your fair share of action. I envy you, lol.

Uh, that end of the industry doesn't work that way, despite what people may have heard.
  • Reply 60 of 69
    Quote:

Uh, that end of the industry doesn't work that way, despite what people may have heard.

I am going by a couple of mates I had in College always running around with some, then, uber expensive camera gear and getting laid, while I d have to chase, write letters, send flowers, get drunk, get stoned, charm, engage in long talks, plead to get any, and I was better looking than them too. 

Glad to hear that's not how the industry works. One less wrong decision in my life off my back, hahaha.