Verizon plans to share 'supercookie' tracking data with AOL ad network

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    gtr wrote: »
    @freshmaker

"The company has been pushing its supercookies on users to track everything you ever do on a phone -- every email, every page you visit, everything you click. By doing that, they were able to build a data-rich dossier and sell it to marketers."

If you're comfortable with all of that information being tied to a uniquely identifiable profile linked to your account in the hands of marketers that are guaranteed not to abuse that information at some point in the future then knock yourself out.

They collect "metadata" which sounds innocuous and innocent. This is from a slide from a EFF presentation from 30 December 2013:

"Why Metadata Matters
    -They know you rang a phone sex service at 2:24 am and spoke for 18 minutes. But they don't know what you talked about.
    -They know you called the suicide prevention hotline from the Golden Gate Bridge. But the topic of the call remains a secret.
    -They know you spoke to an HIV testing service, then your doctor, then your health insurance company in the same hour. But they don't know what was discussed."

Think of ALL the information they can collect and tie together to infer almost your entire travels, preferences, contacts and other info. And when you do sign into a web site, it DOES tie you in so now they DO know who you are.

Try https://grahamcluley.com/2014/01/nsa-spying-video/
    45 minute EFF video on this security info site where I saw it today. Video probably offered elsewhere too, but I haven't looked.

Good luck. Keep singing Simon and Garfunkels "Mrs. Robinson" - "We'd like to know a little bit about you for our files...."

How secure do you think Verizon is with this? My guess is not very. How soon before it adds to you getting hacked?

My suggestion is turn it off ASAP and vote with your wallet to show your disapproval.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Here's a site that will tell you if your telco is tracking you.
    http://amibeingtracked.com/
  • Reply 23 of 33
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    unlike the same under Bush?

Where did I say it was okay under Bush? 1: the level of corruption was not as rampant and blatant, 2: it's not okay regardless of who does it.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pigybank View Post

T-Mobile for the win.

Happier I switched months ago than ever. (and not in the hacked credit app window!)

Service everywhere I expected and some places I didn't.... ...and sometimes I have to turn off my so-called "50" speed Comcast wi-fi network because the T-Mobile performance is so much better (and I have the simple unlimited plan).

The Rhapsody "unRadio" bennie is nice too....

• Reply 25 of 33
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    pigybank wrote: »
    T-Mobile for the win.

Ummmm, all your information including social security number just got hacked. Not so much of a win.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    Here is the direct link to make sure you are opted out. You'll have to sign in first. This is disgusting.

https://ebillpay.verizonwireless.com/vzw/secure/setPrivacy.action

Thanks. Opted out of everything
  • Reply 27 of 33
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Where did I say it was okay under Bush? 1: the level of corruption was not as rampant and blatant, 2: it's not okay regardless of who does it.
    Put your first comment together with point 1 here and you pretty much implied it. # 2 is a meaningless statement in this context. Out of interest - how did you arrive at 1?
  • Reply 28 of 33
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

The Internet…

Where the only commodity is YOU!

• Reply 29 of 33
    pigybankpigybank Posts: 178member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Ummmm, all your information including social security number just got hacked. Not so much of a win.

No... actually.  The "hack" only affected new customers during a specific window of time last month, and the hack was with Experian, not T-Mobile.  It just happened to be new T Mobile customers who were affected and John Legere says T-Mobile is reviewing their relationship with Experian as a result since this is not the first Experian customer info breach in recent years.  I am not a "new" T Mobile customer and did not sign up during the affected window.  Perhaps you should get your information straight before mouthing off.

• Reply 30 of 33
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member

AOL gives me the heebie-jeebies. I can't believe that company has survived this long.

• Reply 31 of 33
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    freshmaker wrote: »
    Could be - idk what the big deal is. Unless I'm missing something (entirely possible), it just tracks your browsing habits, right? They don't have access to your name, address or other personal info through the supercookie. As long as they don't, I could care less if they know what sites I go to. Just get shown ads for stuff I've already bought. Yippee
    Apparently, yes, they do quite beyond simple browsing tracking, email
    Addresses are specifically mentioned. And they share it with "partners", but only special ones. They decide who's special of course. "According to Verizon's October 2015 privacy notice, the targeting criteria include visitors address, email address, age range, gender, interests, location, mobile web browsing history and app usage. The company can also track some non-mobile web browsing, to sites carrying AOL ads, it said." http://www.computerworld.com/article/2990096/data-privacy/verizon-to-use-mobile-supercookie-to-target-aol-ads-to-customers.html
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

unlike the same under Bush?

Why do you assume that just because someone isn't an Obama fan that they are automatically a Bush fan.  Also, because Obama is doing the same things as Bush did, he should get a pass?

• Reply 33 of 33
    More corporate malfeasance. It never ends. Why does everyone get up in arms if the government steps in to force companies to behave in an ethical and honest manner. Stealing your customers personal information is not acceptable.