Jony Ive remembers Steve Jobs' 'simple focus' on creating the beautiful and great

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Woz, while an apparently nice guy, seems to me like a completely overrated tech loudmouth. For example, this is a guy who, at least, for a while, thought that Android was a better mobile operating system than iOS (perhaps that's one of the reasons a lot of Jobs-haters are endeared to him). For the life of me, I cannot understand why everybody pays him so much attention. The Kato Kaelin of tech, as it were.

Seriously, what are his great tech achievements in the past 25 years? Anyone?

i think Woz was very talented when he was active in engineering. it seems after his airplane crash and financial success he changed life priorities and began an exit strategy from work. so it's true he hasnt done much lately...but any rating i have for him is based on his active years and the talent those who worked with attribute to him (http://www.folklore.org/ProjectView.py?project=Macintosh&characters=Steve Wozniak).
  • Reply 22 of 29
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    snailer wrote: »
    Except for that puck mouse of the original iMac.

yeah that mouse sucked pretty hard. and, ah, the ipod socks.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    ireland wrote: »
    Ive looks visibly more relaxed and healthy than he did before taking on his new role. I'm so glad for him, and for us.

Yes it even looks like he might have shed a few pounds (a little harder to tell with this baggy shirt).

s2wo53.jpg
  • Reply 24 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Yes it even looks like he might have shed a few pounds (a little harder to tell with this baggy shirt).

He should take up running with Tim.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    He should take up running with Tim.

Nah, with all due respect, he's not the body type. Runners tend to be more ectomorph. Jony's meso- to endomorph. It's why he's so brilliantly tactile in his designs.

You can tell by the way he uses his hands when speaking. This kind of physicality should be celebrated. (There's too much fitness pressure out there.) Jony's one in a million, and he's found his niche, to the benefit of us all.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snailer View Post

Steve's genius was taking the complexity, politics and noise of technology and distilling it down to its essence. He could do this because he was able to somehow see and feel the product through the eyes of his average customer, instinctively. So often what Steve thought was perfect, was also what amazed and delighted his customers.

Except for that puck mouse of the original iMac.

I have dealt with a lot of school boards, businesses and friends, as well as colleagues, that bought the 'original iMac' and it is interesting that the majority (especially first time Mac'rs and children), (and it was significant) never changed the Puck. They in fact, loved it.

I personally choose a mouse much like I choose my glove(s); whether it be for shovelling snow, playing hockey, baseball or golf or going out for the evening. Whatever, the most important feature, they all must fit my hand. And there is no universal size that fits all.

And Steve knew this. And like virtually everything that Steve introduced, he really didn't care what peripherals one changed, added or removed. If it felt better, worked better or enhanced our experience, all the better. Things that 3rd party developers appreciated as well.

• Reply 27 of 29
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Full video is up now, really great.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 28 of 29
    The question is, what kind of products are are being produced now that he's no longer accountable to that focus that Jobs possessed? Tha answer could be dangerous, and perhaps even foretelling of Ives' future with Apple.