Apple Pay coming to Starbucks, KFC, Chili's in 2016

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2015
Apple Pay is about to expand its footprint in a big way as Starbucks, KFC and Chili's locations across the U.S. are preparing to support Apple's touchless payments service in 2016, with pilot programs rolling out this year.




At the Code/Mobile conference on Thursday, Apple Pay executive Jennifer Bailey told Re/code's Ina Fried that select Starbucks locations will introduce compatibility in a pilot program before the year is out, with wide availability set for 2016. Also on tap for integration are major dining franchises KFC and Chili's, additions that promise to expand Apple Pay's reach to new demographics.

According to CNET's Shara Tibken, Bailey said KFC holds a special place in her heart because the fast food chain was her first employer.

Your browser does not support iframes.


As for Starbucks, the coffee purveyor was one of the first major chains to adopt mobile payments services through a barcode-method method built into its app. In practice, the app replicated a physical Starbucks rewards card with options to reload via Apple Pay and track purchases, meaning iPhone users were able to add it to the iOS Wallet app (formerly called Passbook). The scan-to-pay technology accounts for 20 percent of all in-store Starbucks transactions, reports Re/code. It is not known if Starbucks will count Apple Pay transactions toward its rewards program.

Bailey went on to outline upcoming loyalty program additions from Walgreens, Kohl's, Coca Cola, Whole Foods, Panera Bread and more.
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 80

    They'll come around 100%, including for their rewards. They have to. As will other recalcitrants such as CVS.

     

    Otherwise, my business goes elsewhere. I am quite sure I am not the only one.

     

    (Btw, did anyone else catch the NYT story about how Samsung's LoopPay has been already breached? I am surprised AI hasn't carried that story!).

  • Reply 2 of 80
    Chili's changed their menu and butchered it (were they going for hipsters or something?), KFC is crap and I don't drink coffee, so...nice wins, but none of this benefits me.
  • Reply 3 of 80
    ashleyashley Posts: 25member

    We've got Starbucks Apple Pay in the UK but I never use it, I prefer using my Starbucks card to get my points and freebies, if the merged Starbucks card points when I pay by Apple Pay then I would use it, otherwise theres no point.  

  • Reply 4 of 80
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post



    Chili's changed their menu and butchered it (were they going for hipsters or something?), KFC is crap and I don't drink coffee, so...nice wins, but none of this benefits me.



    If Steve Jobs were still alive he would have asked you for your personal needs. 

     

     

    Fire Cook!

  • Reply 5 of 80
    justp1ayin wrote: »

    If Steve Jobs were still alive he would have asked you for your personal needs. 


    Fire Cook!

    Yes, I know, I made the mistake of asking Apple to improve their services, that's always unpopular here.
  • Reply 6 of 80
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 200member
    It's weird that this is news

    In the UK pretty much any shop that takes card playments supports contactless payments (incl Apple Pay)

    I personally don't use it because in my opinion using a phone for payments is over engineering a very simply process

    I just use contactless payment with my debit card - no batteries - no Fingerprint messing around. Much faster and more reliable than Apple Pay

    Fingerprint Security isn't really needed either with payments limited to £30
  • Reply 7 of 80
    kkqd1337 wrote: »
    It's weird that this is news

    In the UK pretty much any shop that takes card playments supports contactless payments (incl Apple Pay)

    I personally don't use it because in my opinion using a phone for payments is over engineering a very simply process

    I just use contactless payment with my debit card - no batteries - no Fingerprint messing around. Much faster and more reliable than Apple Pay

    Fingerprint Security isn't really needed either with payments limited to £30

    Keep in mind that we Europeans are lucky. Payment and banking is a complete fucked up mess in the U.S. Heck, they still use checks(!), and while most European countries made the move to chips and nfc cards years ago, Americans still have to use the old magnetic stripe, and, hold on, sign the receipt instead of uaing a PIN.
  • Reply 8 of 80
    laytechlaytech Posts: 145member
    Apple Pay not coming to any other country near you anytime soon... (sigh)
  • Reply 9 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kkqd1337 View Post



    It's weird that this is news



    In the UK pretty much any shop that takes card playments supports contactless payments (incl Apple Pay)



    I personally don't use it because in my opinion using a phone for payments is over engineering a very simply process



    I just use contactless payment with my debit card - no batteries - no Fingerprint messing around. Much faster and more reliable than Apple Pay



    Fingerprint Security isn't really needed either with payments limited to £30

    We use credit cards a lot in the US. Debit cards are generally -- but certainly not always -- considered to be somewhat lower in the terms of credit quality of users. We also tend to have substantially higher credit limits than £30.... So ApplePay comes in quite fantastically useful

     

    What do you guys do when you have to purchase something worth more than £30? I am curious.

  • Reply 10 of 80
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    kkqd1337 wrote: »
    It's weird that this is news

    What's weird is thinking that innovation should be halted because you're perfectly fine one system. Do you ever carry cash? If not, why, when you can a physical card on you? Isn't the cash accepted more places and there is a potential for the retailer's pay system or internet connection to be down, but you aren't making a comments about how a PIN is too complex or how cash is more convenient. That would indicate you are fine with multiple types of payments being accepted, and yet you seem against Apple Pay despite the added security and convenience of not using your physical card, not having your physical card number or any of the other data on it transferred through the retailer which would mean the physical card number would have to be replaced if lost or stolen.
    no Fingerprint messing around.

    1) Yeah, because it really takes a long time to put your finger on the Home button for a fraction of a second.

    2) Apple Watch doesn't have Touch ID, and yet Apple Pay works great. From that you should be able to conclude that Touch ID isn't needed for security, but rather for convenience with security, which is something that no physical card can offer, and with Chip+PIN you are talking much longer to type in a PIN into some dirty PoS terminal than it would to simply touch your Home Button on the iPhone or double-tap the Contacts button on the Apple Watch.
  • Reply 11 of 80
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 200member
    The type of card credit or debit is not an issue. Both my credit and debit cards are contactless. I happened to use my debit card at home as it comes with benefits if I do.
    We use credit cards a lot in the US. Debit cards are generally -- but certainly not always -- considered to be somewhat lower in the terms of credit quality of users. We also tend to have substantially higher credit limits than £30.... <span style="font-size:16px;line-height:1.4em;">[SIZE=14px]So ApplePay comes in quite fantastically useful[/SIZE]. </span>


    What do you guys do when you have to purchase something worth more than £30? I am curious.

    In the UK we use chip and pin and have done for 5-10 years now, so use that for anything above £30.

    I heard the issue around this is that if you use a PIN for payment the bank will take no or much less responsibility for fraudulent transactions because they blame you for revealing you pin to someone.

    So the change to pin in a lot of countries was held as a signature leaves banks and retailers more answerable and responsible for fraud
  • Reply 12 of 80
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 200member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    What's weird is thinking that innovation should be halted because you're perfectly fine one system. Do you ever carry cash? If not, why, when you can a physical card on you? Isn't the cash accepted more places and there is a potential for the retailer's pay system or internet connection to be down, but you aren't making a comments about how a PIN is too complex or how cash is more convenient. That would indicate you are fine with multiple types of payments being accepted, and yet you seem against Apple Pay despite the added security and convenience of not using your physical card, not having your physical card number or any of the other data on it transferred through the retailer which would mean the physical card number would have to be replaced if lost or stolen.
    1) Yeah, because it really takes a long time to put your finger on the Home button for a fraction of a second.

    2) Apple Watch doesn't have Touch ID, and yet Apple Pay works great. From that you should be able to conclude that Touch ID isn't needed for security, but rather for convenience with security, which is something that no physical card can offer, and with Chip+PIN you are talking much longer to type in a PIN into some dirty PoS terminal than it would to simply touch your Home Button on the iPhone or double-tap the Contacts button on the Apple Watch.

    I never carry cash. I hate having cash especially coins which are annoyingly used a lot in the UK as I always loose them or just shove it in a bowel at home and it never gets used.

    Fingerprint is a problem with messy fingers, sugar, water, gloves etc

    Dont quite know where to start with Apple Watch. Did I mention over engineering in my first post?

    You literally can't beat a 5cm piece of plastic for design genius, literally tap in and you pay from your bank in a second. Boom. I think it's on par with the bicycle.
  • Reply 13 of 80

    Oddly enough, today I heard a 30-second RADIO ad on a local sports station (terrestrial), announcing that the Federal Navy Credit Union was proud to now offer Android Pay.  Google was mentioned very quietly, very quickly, as the very last word of the ad.  Kind of like an asterisk.  :\

  • Reply 14 of 80
    kkqd1337 wrote: »
    I never carry cash. I hate having cash especially coins which are annoyingly used a lot in the UK as I always loose them or just shove it in a bowel at home and it never gets used.

    Fingerprint is a problem with messy fingers, sugar, water, gloves etc

    Dont quite know where to start with Apple Watch. Did I mention over engineering in my first post?

    You literally can't beat a 5cm piece of plastic for design genius, literally tap in and you pay from your bank in a second. Boom. I think it's on par with the bicycle.

    Wash your hands, maybe?
  • Reply 15 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ashley View Post

     

    We've got Starbucks Apple Pay in the UK but I never use it, I prefer using my Starbucks card to get my points and freebies, if the merged Starbucks card points when I pay by Apple Pay then I would use it, otherwise theres no point.  


    Please correct me if I am wrong because I don't usually stop at the local Starbucks.

     

    But I thought you use a form of payment to put say, $25 on the Starbucks app. And then use the Starbucks app to pay and get the points and freebies.

     

    So then you would just Apple Pay as the form of payment when you need to re-load your Starbucks app. Again I could be 100% wrong about this but at least that is how I thought the Starbucks app worked in the US.

     

    Edit: I just realized you said Starbucks card and not app. But either way it should be the same.... I think.

  • Reply 16 of 80
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 381member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kkqd1337 View Post





    I never carry cash. I hate having cash especially coins which are annoyingly used a lot in the UK as I always loose them or just shove it in a bowel at home and it never gets used.



    <snip>


    You literally can't beat a 5cm piece of plastic for design genius, literally tap in and you pay from your bank in a second. Boom. I think it's on par with the bicycle.

    So does your 5cm piece of plastic take phone calls or allow you to text? ;=p

     

    I carry my phone everywhere as a communication device. I will be glad that I don't have to carry an additional piece of plastic with me as well.

  • Reply 17 of 80
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 200member
    elehcdn wrote: »
    So does your 5cm piece of plastic take phone calls or allow you to text? ;=p

    I carry my phone everywhere as a communication device. I will be glad that I don't have to carry an additional piece of plastic with me as well.


    Oh come on!! Pleaseeeee

    Wallets and mechanical watches are traditional items that should be relished.

    No objection to developments and phones and Apple watches etc are great

    But neither mean we don't need our past
  • Reply 18 of 80
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    techlover wrote: »
    Please correct me if I am wrong because I don't usually stop at the local Starbucks.

    But I thought you use a form of payment to put say, $25 on the Starbucks app. And then use the Starbucks app to pay and get the points and freebies.

    So then you would just Apple Pay as the form of payment when you need to re-load your Starbucks app. Again I could be 100% wrong about this but at least that is how I thought the Starbucks app worked in the US.

    Edit: I just realized you said Starbucks card and not app. But either way it should be the same.... I think.
    That's how it works now. Apparently Starbucks will be rolling out nfc payments at its stores versus the scanner based system. The wrinkle they and Wegmanns are working out is doing nfc and retaining the loyalty/member card rewards aspect.
  • Reply 19 of 80
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kkqd1337 View Post





    I never carry cash. I hate having cash especially coins which are annoyingly used a lot in the UK as I always loose them or just shove it in a bowel at home and it never gets used.

    Sounds painful.

  • Reply 20 of 80
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Sounds painful.
    Shouldn't judge. British and all....
Sign In or Register to comment.