Tests confirm marginal difference between Samsung, TSMC-made A9 chips in Apple's iPhone 6s

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 67
    I have had my iPhone 6s Plus for 2 weeks now. While playing one of my games I have noticed it getting hot, granted I do have tech21 case on it, but very noticeable. I have for the last 6 years owned Samsung devices and made switch due to issues with those phones!
    Now more and likely I might have a Samsung chip in my iPhone doesn't make me happy!!! I did get the Inrum app and it does not tell me which chip is in my phone?!?
  • Reply 22 of 67
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 1,928member

    Remember the AntennaGate?  Jobs said it is because user is holding the phone incorrectly.  But in later iPhones Apple seemed have fixed the problem.

  • Reply 23 of 67
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    Thats not scientific proof.  They need to test more than just a single phone.  More like several thousand phones in a controlled environment.

     

    Just too many variables to take any of those results to the bank.




    I think you are mixing up medical studies with just basic testing.  There is no need for there to be 'scientific proof'.  Testing with a small batch of six phones, three of each would be enough to suffice for this purpose.  You can compare samsung vs samsung and tsmc vs tsmc as well with that size of test. 

  • Reply 24 of 67
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

     



    Your understanding is better than the other poster.  Experimental results all have deviations.  Scientists don't throw out their measurements because they are all different.  What can be accepted as long as the difference does not vary unreasonably.  




    We're not allowed to simply throw out results, ever.  Now a failed process, a machine is found WAY out of calibration, bad reagent revealed with a positive control, then yes: but there has to be a defendable reason. Otherwise it's just plot the damn numbers and let the error bars lie there mocking you.

     

    I do neuroscience (protein structure/function) not physics but I imagine the rules are pretty similar.

  • Reply 25 of 67
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

     



    I think you are mixing up medical studies with just basic testing.  There is no need for there to be 'scientific proof'.  Testing with a small batch of six phones, three of each would be enough to suffice for this purpose.  You can compare samsung vs samsung and tsmc vs tsmc as well with that size of test. 




    With only three each the difference would have to be very large for a "difference" to be substantiated and evenso the actual numbers of that difference with only three would be subject to a lot of error. One thing that would not change: multipole runs with each phone as there's two numbers to get at. Variation between chips and variation systemic in the measuring process.

     

    If for "this purpose" you mean something just a bit north of total anecdote? Sure. Otherwise if they're going to bandy about numbers at all it'd be preferable;e if they were good numbers.

  • Reply 26 of 67
    I have had my iPhone 6s Plus for two weeks now. I noticed it getting very hot when I play one of my games, World of Tanks.
    My previous phones have been Samsung devices and my reasons for the switch was the problems I had with them! I hate to think that now I possibly have a Samsung chip in my iPhone!!
    I installed the Lirum app but it's missing a lot content and isn't showing who makes my phone's chip!
  • Reply 27 of 67

    How about someone who thinks this isn't a big deal (that has the TSMC chip inside theirs) trade me for my Samsung one? (only ran the Samsung/TSMC app and reset, factory Apple plastic wrap is still on the phone)



    No takers?  Thought so!

  • Reply 28 of 67
    jm6032jm6032 Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

     



    It is probably not software.  Why would software run differently for different chips?




    I disagree with you. I believe that the evidence presented shows that virtually all the energy savings in iPhones is software based. When the software was circumvented to cause max cpu usage there was a large difference in consumption, whereas, when the cpus ran in nominal conditions, the energy usage was almost identical. 

  • Reply 29 of 67
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JackANSI View Post

     

    How about someone who thinks this isn't a big deal (that has the TSMC chip inside theirs) trade me for my Samsung one? (only ran the Samsung/TSMC app and reset, factory Apple plastic wrap is still on the phone)



    No takers?  Thought so!




    Exactly.  When a phone is brand new the difference is not a big deal but as the phone ages that extra energy savings really helps!  It also lessens the number of cycles the battery goes through ever so slightly.  So when the phone is two years old, the TSMC one will have not only more battery life, but it will do better with that battery life. 5% or more and it becomes a pretty big deal long term. 

     

    No, to me it is not chip-gate, because the lessor chip still performs to Apple specs, but it does make a TSMC phone worth more to me. 

  • Reply 30 of 67
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

    Let me tell how much I care. My iPhone 6s is fine, I don't care which chip it has.

     

    Can I buy a new Apple TV yet?

  • Reply 31 of 67
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 1,928member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

     



    I think you are mixing up medical studies with just basic testing.  There is no need for there to be 'scientific proof'.  Testing with a small batch of six phones, three of each would be enough to suffice for this purpose.  You can compare samsung vs samsung and tsmc vs tsmc as well with that size of test. 




    Four phones will be enough.  Two with Samsung chip.  Two with TSMC chip.  If the results are very close, it immediately rule out any phone to be defective.  If the results deviate a lot, then the test could not be used for this purpose.  

  • Reply 32 of 67
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

    Bendgate blew over. This will blow over. It's just smoke. No fire. Moving along.

  • Reply 33 of 67
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 1,928member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jm6032 View Post

     



    I disagree with you. I believe that the evidence presented shows that virtually all the energy savings in iPhones is software based. When the software was circumvented to cause max cpu usage there was a large difference in consumption, whereas, when the cpus ran in nominal conditions, the energy usage was almost identical. 




    I agree with you that software can cause a lot of energy use.  Last night I plugged the phone and went to bed.  In the midnight I woke and checked the phone.  It felt pretty warm.  This morning I unplugged the phone.  In one hour the battery went down to less than 80%.  I checked the apps. They are the same apps I have been using all the time.  I closed a few apps.  The battery seems still going down fast.  I fixed this by rebooting.  It seems the problem is not the app.  The problem is some process owned by iOS 9.  Apple quality is getting worse.  After I upgraded to iOS 9, the phone works worse here and there.  

  • Reply 34 of 67
    Sigh. Remember antenna gate and bend gate and all the other faux stories that failed to make any dent in people's purchase or enjoyment of their phones?

    Yes, there has to be one each release in order for Apple hating and/or obsessive sites can boost their traffic.
  • Reply 35 of 67
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,989member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

     



    28 percent is not small.




    28% better, people are complaining that it's worse.

     

    Go figure.

  • Reply 36 of 67
    benchmarks and specs gate
  • Reply 37 of 67
    calicali Posts: 3,495member
    dogboy69 wrote: »
    I have had my iPhone 6s Plus for two weeks now. I noticed it getting very hot when I play one of my games, World of Tanks.
    My previous phones have been Samsung devices and my reasons for the switch was the problems I had with them! I hate to think that now I possibly have a Samsung chip in my iPhone!!
    I installed the Lirum app but it's missing a lot content and isn't showing who makes my phone's chip!

    Yup. Back up your phone, Take it to the Apple Store and have them swap it out.

    Pray that you get a TSMC chip iPhone.
  • Reply 38 of 67
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

     



    Previous attempts at measuring light speed HAVE resulted in a variety of results btw.  As would be expected by any measurement of anything.

    http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SpeedOfLight/measure_c.html

     

    So replicates would be helpful....


     

    Yes, even the speed of light in a vacuum took a while to sort out and they measure it A LOT. And this was something which could be controlled very strictly, unlike whatever people are doing now with the chips.

  • Reply 39 of 67
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

     



    Exactly.  When a phone is brand new the difference is not a big deal but as the phone ages that extra energy savings really helps!  It also lessens the number of cycles the battery goes through ever so slightly.  So when the phone is two years old, the TSMC one will have not only more battery life, but it will do better with that battery life. 5% or more and it becomes a pretty big deal long term. 

     

    No, to me it is not chip-gate, because the lessor chip still performs to Apple specs, but it does make a TSMC phone worth more to me. 


     

    That's not exactly right, the battery thing, what makes a difference is when you charge it, full discharges and recharges are the worst, using you phone hard while almost at 100% is bad, letting your phone do a deep dicharge is also bad.

     

    1 full discharge is not equal to 2 half discharges, the second one will keep th e barry healthy longer.

     

    So, if you routinely charge your phone when it is at 40%, which is often the case for 6s+ users, then you'd get 2500 charge cycles at least out your phone: 7 years before needing to change the battery.

  • Reply 40 of 67
    netrox wrote: »
    How does TSMC managed to last longer despite being bigger?

    Maybe it throttles to a lower speed therefore using less power. When ran at 100% load, it stands to reason the larger process chip will produce more heat and throttle sooner and maybe to a lower overall speed. Over that same time frame, because of a higher average speed, maybe the Samsung performed more calculations?

    Hence why running at full load doesn't show the whole picture and more detailed comparisons need to be done.
Sign In or Register to comment.