Bank website accidentally teases upcoming Apple Pay launch in Canada

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    We shouldn't have to wait a couple years.

Of course you should. Anyone who thinks that a service like Apple Pay should go from announcement to ubiquity instantly is being foolish. THIS… WILL… TAKE… YEARS… TO… ROLL… OUT!!!
    If anything, banks here should have more incentive to support Apple Pay simply because the user engagement would be much higher (due to there being more terminals).

It has nothing to dow with "user engagement." This is about profit and control, or one could say the fear of losing control, the way the music industry cellular network companies lost control when they partnered with Apple. The savings from fraud are clear, and Apple has done right by customers and the financial institutions by not running the data through them and giving the control to each bank, but that doesn't mean they don't have concerns. Give it time. It will happen.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

Still being asked for a PIN when I try to use Apple Pay with my debit card at my local Rite Aid. Not sure if it's the hardware or the employee training. Annoying either way. Haven't been able to get an answer from them.

Multiple people answered this question for you. Did you not get the response or do you want to hear something different?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/188252/apple-pay-now-boasts-more-than-500-us-banks-thanks-to-latest-round-of-additions#post_2776858

• Reply 23 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Says the one who is backtracking on his own words and personally attacking others. Way to go¡

Of course you should. Anyone who thinks that a service like Apple Pay should go from announcement to ubiquity instantly is being foolish. THIS… WILL… TAKE… YEARS… TO… ROLL… OUT!!!

It has nothing to dow with "user engagement." This is about profit and control, or one could say the fear of losing control, the way the music industry cellular network companies lost control when they partnered with Apple. The savings from fraud are clear, and Apple has done right by customers and the financial institutions by not running the data through them and giving the control to each bank, but that doesn't mean they don't have concerns. Give it time. It will happen.

My understanding is that having NFC compatible terminals was a major barrier in the USA to having ApplePay take off.  Literally everywhere I shop has "tap" via NFC terminal - however the banks have been blocking it (from what I've read).

I assume that if the banks get on board we will have a very high ApplePay compatibility rate over night (for participating banks).

Am I wrong?

• Reply 24 of 56
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Woot. TD Canada Trust is my bank, so I'm glad to see it's coming soon.

Granted, tapping my card is pretty quick & easy already. But being able to tap my iPhone instead and enjoy increased privacy is a plus.

Yep.

It's that increased privacy, aka, security, of the Apple Pay tokenization process that's the issue, not being releived of the burden of opening a wallet and dragging out a card.

• Reply 25 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

My understanding is that having NFC compatible terminals was a major barrier in the USA to having ApplePay take off.  Literally everywhere I shop has "tap" via NFC terminal - however the banks have been blocking it (from what I've read).

I assume that if the banks get on board we will have a very high ApplePay compatibility rate over night (for participating banks).

Am I wrong?

You're wrong. Merchants are blocking it. They are afraid of making credit card use too easy, over cash and debit. They are also afraid that the cut given to Apple will be used as justification to raise credit fees. For a contactless card, there's absolutely no difference on the bank side, the bank processes it exactly the same as a magnetic or chip transaction.

• Reply 26 of 56
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

Still being asked for a PIN when I try to use Apple Pay with my debit card at my local Rite Aid. Not sure if it's the hardware or the employee training. Annoying either way. Haven't been able to get an answer from them.

Service suppliers can impose spending limits beyond which something else can be required: if I exceed a certain dollar amount I still have to sign off on the screen. A debit card might just have different rules, I'd ask your bank's electronic payment service people.

• Reply 27 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

You're wrong. Merchants are blocking it. They are afraid of making credit card use too easy, over cash and debit. They are also afraid that the cut given to Apple will be used as justification to raise credit fees. For a contactless card, there's absolutely no difference on the bank side, the bank processes it exactly the same as a magnetic or chip transaction.

Why would the merchants want it harder for people to pay? I doubt they want it more difficult for people to pay. I've never seen one really caring about my security (back when you had to sign for things I think only Safeway ever checked my signature against my card)

Saying they are worried CC companies will raise their fee% because Apple will also take a cut makes sense to me, though where are you reading that Merchants are blocking it (or are you one/know some?)  Because I've only read its the banks.  Maybe its both?

• Reply 28 of 56
    - I simply state terminals in Canada are ready (unlike the U.S.) and I'm excited for Apple pay. 

Look at that, nary a rational comment about 1) banks not supporting Apple Pay in Canada, or 2) Apple charging too much for Apple Pay transactions as barriers to its adoption. Brilliant¡
    joelsalt wrote: »

Am I wrong?

There are many barriers to Apple Pay, but first and foremost is the banks. NFC is common all over the US, and becoming more common, as even updated terminals to support chipped cards often support NFC, albeit I see plenty of terminals that are simply don't have the proper SW installed to support NFC at this time. Not, like with CVS, an intentional kneecapping of Apple Pay (and, via collateral damage, Google Wallet) due to a contractual agreement with a competing service before Apple Pay was announced. There are many retail outlets in the US that support Apple Pay and their employees don't even know it.

In a country with NFC-capable terminals are more abundant, as soon as you get some banks on board its usage should grow much faster than in the US, but there is still the user aspect that will need to actively alter their habits, and unfortunately, as shown in their thread, there are still too many that think Apple Pay is useless if you have a chip in your card.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    Quote:

Why would the merchants want it harder for people to pay? I doubt they want it more difficult for people to pay. 

They don't want to pay credit card fees. They want you to use a cheaper method of payment. It's cheaper to take debit, cash or even check (via electronic check conversion). Perfect example: ARCO gas stations. Never took credit, charged for debit, shaved a few cents off, and always had long lines. (It also forced people to go into the convenience store... often twice)

• Reply 30 of 56
    konqerror wrote: »
    They don't want to pay credit card fees. They want you to use a cheaper method of payment. It's cheaper to take debit, cash or even check (via electronic check conversion). Perfect example: ARCO gas stations. Never took credit, charged for debit, shaved a few cents off, and always had long lines.

That doesn't mean Apple Pay still can't technically be used with our debit card, but I doubt Arco will be adding NFC to their terminals and I have not read anything that would allow a debit card to be scanned and then the PIN to be added via the retailer's PIN pad, although I'm certain banks will eventually add that feature to their ATMs.
  • Reply 31 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

They don't want to pay credit card fees. They want you to use a cheaper method of payment. It's cheaper to take debit, cash or even check (via electronic check conversion). Perfect example: ARCO gas stations. Never took credit, charged for debit, shaved a few cents off, and always had long lines. (It also forced people to go into the convenience store... often twice)

Agreed, but I've not ran into a merchant in the past 5 years  to take Debit and NOT credit in my home town, so I can't see how ApplePay versus regular credit card changes anything.

In Canada we pay the exact same way with debit and with credit (i.e. NFC and chip always on both)

• Reply 32 of 56
    Quote:

In a country with NFC-capable terminals are more abundant, as soon as you get some banks on board its usage should grow much faster than in the US, but there is still the user aspect that will need to actively alter their habits, and unfortunately, as shown in their thread, there are still too many that think Apple Pay is useless if you have a chip in your card.

Very true.  And i've yet to see an Apple Watch in person (though they came out later in Canada I think and my city isn't very big).

Many people pay for starbucks with their iPhones here though.  I personally would use Apple Pay as I HATE having to carry a wallet around, which includes my license, my healthcard, my debit and credit card and thats it.  I'm not holding my breath for our government to get our License and healthcard electronic, but my debit credit should.

(here is a crazy thing too.  MasterCard sent me NFC stickers that I could put on my phone case to use at an NFC terminal.  How the hell that is better than ApplePay I'll never know, since if i switch cases I need to ask for a new sticker)

• Reply 33 of 56
    Quote:

Agreed, but I've not ran into a merchant in the past 5 years  to take Debit and NOT credit in my home town, so I can't see how ApplePay versus regular credit card changes anything.

Because they see the opportunity for mobile, and they want to use that opportunity to grow their own low cost payment systems, not the banks (CurrentC, the Target debit card, Starbucks and Dunkin's mobile gift cards). Just like how Contactless has given Apple the opportunity to insert itself into the payment chain, stores want to put their own system in.

• Reply 34 of 56
    joelsalt wrote: »
    Very true.  And i've yet to see an Apple Watch in person (though they came out later in Canada I think and my city isn't very big).

I see several of them per week, and I also have several people ask me per week how I like mine, most of whom saying something about getting one for themselves or a familiar member for Christmas. I feel like I've seen more people with an Apple Watch this soon after its release than I saw with an iPhone or iPad, but there is no way to know for certain as I have no records to back up that memory.
    Many people pay for starbucks with their iPhones here though.

I think Starbucks is a great example of how customers do want to use phones for payments when possible. Perhaps you saw that Starbucks will be adding NFC, too, but it won't be too much easier than me using my iPhone or Watch to pay, save for no longer having to line up the barcode image to scan.

Technically, I've been using Apple Pay with Starbucks for months now, since they launched the beta Order option for my area this past Summer. I just reload my Sbux card via their iPhone app when I go to pay for my order remotely. It does the reload and the purchase in the same instance which is very convenient. No more keeping a CC on file with my Starbucks account, which you also may recall was one way people were stealing from customers who had weak or otherwise compromised passwords. Hopefully, we'll see Apple Pay moved for browser support in the way PayPal and other services work, which I hope will be backed by adding the Secure Element and Touch ID to Mac HW to make this happen (although one solution could be a two-step authentication system where you get a message pushed to your iPhone or Watch that you need to verify an amount, choose a card, and use Touch ID to finalize the payment.
    I personally would use Apple Pay as I HATE having to carry a wallet around, which includes my license, my healthcard, my debit and credit card and thats it.  I'm not holding my breath for our government to get our License and healthcard electronic, but my debit credit should.

I'm already using Apple Pay more than one a day, on average. I'm also purposely leaving my card holder/money clip (not a fan of the bulky wallet) at home if I know I'm going to a place that takes Apple Pay. Sometimes, not even taking my iPhone if it's a quick stop since I can use my Apple Watch. I'd like to completely leave my physical cards at home, which is when the real security will finally reaching a tipping point, but that's years away.

PS: I wish the banks were offering retailers an incentive for promoting Apple Pay. This is something Apple could have help initiate. By making payments that use Apple Pay have a lower transaction fee, which they will be able to afford due to the eventual drop in fraud. I'd also like there to be a third option added to "card present" and "card not present" to fully represent Apple Pay (and others) in this modern system.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post

Well it's about time!

I suspect CIBC/PCF will be forced to follow suit shortly.

When one does, they all will. That was pretty much the purpose of the banks forming a cartel whose sole purpose was create one common front to negotiate with Apple, instead of each bank negotiating on their own. 

• Reply 36 of 56
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

When one does, they all will. That was pretty much the purpose of the banks forming a cartel whose sole purpose was create one common front to negotiate with Apple, instead of each bank negotiating on their own. 

The "cartel" existed before, its called Interac and it's been around for at least 10 years, probably 25 years.

That means that once this goes through, Canada will instantaneously become the country were Apple pay is the most widespread.

• Reply 37 of 56
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

1) If one understands that then one shouldn't make a facile argument about Apple Pay being a perfect fit in a country with no support from the banks.

2) It's been one fucking year since it was announced. Shit takes time. Give it a few years before you start complaining about an fledgling service that requires the participation and back-end rejiggering from banks, of all things.

1) Have to disagree with you. Apple Pay IS a perfect fit for a country where almost everything is chip and pin/NFC, regardless of bank support. That's the point. Everything else is in place EXCEPT the banks. 

2) Again, disagreed. The UK has it, China is getting it, yet nothing from Canada yet- even though everything from the language, to the payment infrastructure, to the banking system, is MOST similar to the US. So yes, it is frustrating, and logically speaking, Canada should have been supported at the same time as, or right after the US. Obviously this isn't Apple's fault, but it's normal to be frustrated at the situation. 

• Reply 38 of 56
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

The "cartel" existed before, its called Interac and it's been around for at least 10 years, probably 25 years.

That means that once this goes through, Canada will instantaneously become the country were Apple pay is the most widespread.

That's actually entirely irrelevant to my point. The recently formed cartel has nothing to do with the history of interac.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/canadas-banks-form-consortium-to-deal-with-apple-pay-reports/article24004338/

The banks formed a cartel specifically to negotiate Apple's entry into the Canadian payment scene.

Quote:

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Canada’s Big Six banks are negotiating with Apple Inc. about a potential launch of the service in November, but are stuck on issues related to fees and security.

The report also said that the banks have formed a consortium to deal with security issues and also give them greater leverage in their negotiations with Apple.

Apple can't negotiate with the banks individually to get the best terms or quickest access. This is intentional. By monopolizing access to the Canadian payments system through this cartel, they ensure that no one, Apple or otherwise, is allowed to come here nor to negotiate terms with separate businesses separately. Stronger united than apart. The benefit of a cartel.

So, when TD or any of them signs a deal with Apple, they all will, since it's one deal negotiated with all of them together. And until they all get the deal that benefits them all, none of them will sign. Not because of interac, but because that's the reason they created the cartel.

• Reply 39 of 56
    slurpy wrote: »
    1) Have to disagree with you. Apple Pay IS a perfect fit for a country where almost everything is chip and pin/NFC, regardless of bank support. That's the point. Everything else is in place EXCEPT the banks. 

2) Again, disagreed. The UK has it, China is getting it, yet nothing from Canada yet- even though everything from the language, to the payment infrastructure, to the banking system, is MOST similar to the US. So yes, it is frustrating, and logically speaking, Canada should have been supported at the same time as, or right after the US. Obviously this isn't Apple's fault, but it's normal to be frustrated at the situation. 

Apple Pay "is a perfect fit" for EVERY country that is using plastic cards tied to user's account. That means pretty much all nations in the world. The problem is arguing that Apple Pay should be launched by Apple in a country that has no banks willing to support it simply because NFC is commonplace. I heard this same argument last month and then a day later it came out that Australian banks didn't want to pay Apple what they wanted for Apple Pay transaction fees. Canada is probably the same, insofar that the banks are the ones that making it tough for Apple Pay to get adopted. Having NFC-capable terminals in place does NOT mean Apple Pay is ready to go in your country. This is not debatable.

Be patient. Apple Pay will come.
  • Reply 40 of 56
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post

Well it's about time!

I suspect CIBC/PCF will be forced to follow suit shortly.

PC Financial still doesn't support Interac Online or Interac eTransfers. I doubt they will be on board right away. CIBC would be far more likely. Remember where PC Financial is based through.... Great Canadian Superstore (at least on the West Coast), and who is their largest base of customers?.... that's right... people on welfare and low budgets. Hardly the market carrying around newer iPhones and Apple Watches. Even with two jobs, I can barely afford (actually, "not" afford) a new iPhone 6s. Just priced too high.