Why doesn't the industry go MiniDisc?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    If you're going to change, then change completely. DVD-Audio/SACD for the highest sound quality, and DATAPLAY for a recordable go-anywhere format with good sound quality and flexible compressed music/AIFF compatibility all in a package the size of a loonie (1 dollar coin)
  • Reply 22 of 25
    bluejekyllbluejekyll Posts: 103member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>If you're going to change, then change completely. DVD-Audio/SACD for the highest sound quality, and DATAPLAY for a recordable go-anywhere format with good sound quality and flexible compressed music/AIFF compatibility all in a package the size of a loonie (1 dollar coin)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes i agree. And I want DVD-Audio now. They keep promising and promising, but we continue to get nothing, nothing...
  • Reply 23 of 25
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i like the minidisc because it is small. also, it has an off-the-charts cool factor.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    DVD-Audio... Isn't that an oxymoron?
  • Reply 25 of 25
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I bought a Fujitsu DynaMO 640 optical in 1996 for 500, which included 6 disks. This was before zips or CDRs or anything. I thought that it would be very popular, but the initial cost must have been too high. The disks themselves aren't that expensive. Last I checked they went for about the same as a CDRW CD, and they're 1000 times better than CDRWs.

These days one can obtain the 1.3GB version of the same thing (disks here are similar in size to 3.5" floppies). The price is a good bit down too. It's about 200 on eBay or so, maybe less. I may buy one. They're handy for moving big documents, and the media is robust as hell. I hate CDR's. They always manage to f-ck up on me.

But the truth is that the low cost of CDRs and the ability to use them in various appliances makes them ripe for pirating things, and thus very popular with our population of theives.

Edit: DRIVERS and Optical Fans? What a strange coincidence.

[ 07-05-2002: Message edited by: Splinemodel ]</p>