Teardown finds shared chips among Apple's Magic Trackpad 2, Magic Mouse 2 & Magic Keyboard

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

You need to learn more about Lithium Ion batteries. They don't like to be constantly used or stored at near 100% charge levels, or stored at very low charge levels. The former causes internal leakage current and gas generation, and the latter irreversible chemical degradation. A sufficiently intelligent charging circuit can help protect against the charge/overcharge issue by cycling the charge level between ~80% and 100% rather than holding it near maximum.

A mouse that needs charging only once a month or so is a pretty near ideal case for this type of battery, since unnecessary charge cycles will naturally be minimized.

Which is why typical charging circuitry doesn't allow Li-ion batteries to charge to 100% or allow the device to drain it to 0%. This is a different scale than we see on our devices. For example, an iPhone that shows "100% charged" is actually only charged to around 80-90% of the battery's actual capacity. At "0% charged", the battery still has about 5-10% capacity remaining. Kind of like a fuel gauge in your car - when the gauge reaches "F" you can still cram a bit more fuel in and when it reads "E" there's usually 2-3 gallons left.

• Reply 42 of 51
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    Lightning port at the bottom of mouse is the most unusual design but again so is putting the USB and SD ports behind the iMac. It should be on the side.
  • Reply 43 of 51
    appexappex Posts: 687member

What about Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad with built-in USB 3.1 (reversible) Gen 2 hub?

• Reply 44 of 51
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    And how long does it take to grab a quarter for the screw (I personally don't carry change with me), remove the old batteries, find the new batteries on the charger or in the packaging (depending if they are disposable or reusable), and then place them back in, secure the screw, (put rechargeable batteries back on the charger), and turn on the peripheral so it can then link via BT so you can start working again? I'd say that's probably getting up there to two minutes

Additionally, since 2 of the 3 devices will allow you to keep working whilst plugged in and since Mac OS X is very good about letting you know the battery state of your BT-connected peripherals the only real time you'll have to waste with the mouse is putting the Lightning cable in during a break or night which takes just a couple seconds and won't affect your working state at all, whereas "musical batteries" does require the same effort and downtime... every time.

Exactly Solips.

Just a bunch of crybabies here.

Besides, I use a paper clip or a penny to open up mine. I don't have that kind of money like you have to use a quarter. :)
  • Reply 45 of 51
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post

Imagine buying a car with the battery welded inside the frame all but preventing the owner and many independent repairs shops from replacing it without damaging the vehicle. The manufacturer expects and hopes that when the battery goes dead in a few years, you'll just buy a new car.

I'm quick to defend Apple products, I drink their "Kool-Aid", and I suppose I could be considered a "fanboy" (or "fanman"). However, I'm not feeling this "sealed for life" technology. I have a problem when a $2,300 iMac is held together with double-sided tape.

Ever heard of Tesla? Or the Prius? The corner shade-tree garage doesn't have a chance.... NAPA-KnowHow not withstanding. For certain design goals removable just creates problems.

• Reply 46 of 51
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I'm not an expert on Bluetooth, but how can these devices take advantage of the latest Bluetooth 4.0, which is supposed to be extremely low energy, if they have a Bluetooth 3.0 chip inside?

And to anybody whining about not being able to use the mouse while charging it! Big deal! Somebody has to charge it what, once a month?

Talk about whining about a completely trivial non-issue! Get a life! Go buy an Android phone because you don't deserve to use any Apple products!

• Reply 47 of 51
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Damn! People just like to complain about the most little sh!t they can find.
    It really doesn't matter where Apple had decided to put the charger at or how
    Long the charge last, there will always be some moron who will have a problem
    With it, and will complain like is the end of the world.

Are people really this sad and lonely?
  • Reply 48 of 51
    Originally Posted by tommy0guns View Post

I don't care how you slice it, putting the charging port on the bottom is just terrible.

TWO MINUTES. EIGHT HOURS. Not that hard.

• Reply 49 of 51
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    seancca wrote: »
    1) You don't have to toss out alkaline batteries or remember to buy them, also I never got a month of battery life from that thing.
    2) Where pray tell would they have put it. The bottom is the least visible area. Also what is so "un-apple" like about that. 
    I agree I've never gotten a month out of mine with AA. So don't know what he is griping about.
  • Reply 50 of 51

TWO MINUTES. EIGHT HOURS. Not that hard.

That's what she said.