Apple Stores show off 3D Touch on iPhone 6s with interactive LCD display tables

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHSF View Post

so what the heck does this table do?:???:

This is brilliant marketing.  It promotes force touch to Apple Store visitors and entices others to go visit the Apple Stores and gets Apple in the news at the same time.

I bet this will be a big tourist attraction over the holidays.

• Reply 22 of 25
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

This is brilliant marketing.  It promotes force touch to Apple Store visitors and entices others to go visit the Apple Stores and gets Apple in the news at the same time.

I bet this will be a big tourist attraction over the holidays.

Bring it to other stores please.

I think this is super cool and brings some of the magic to the iPhone that Ive was talking about in that New Yorker piece. Only jaded techies would consider this a gimmick.

• Reply 23 of 25

Kind of reminds of that Microsoft Surface table thing from a few years ago.

• Reply 24 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Only jaded techies would consider this a gimmick.

In point of fact, it is a gimmick. 

noun

an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, especially one designed to attract attention or increase appeal.

The vast majority of marketing is based on gimmicks. A gimmick by definition is neither good or bad. Marketing on the other hand, is a matter of context and intent.

This particular device imparts no real information to "the rest of us", the non-geeks. Touch a 3D Touch screen and a ripple moves on the iPhone and table, but the fish just disappears. Ok. What is the typical 90% of the 90% take away from that. No doubt Apple hopes people will ask a sales associate "What's this mean??" Or the customer will go "Huh" or "Cool!" and walk away. Kids will love it.

It is a cool gimmick. Like I said, I'd like a coffee table that did that (without the need of an iPhone). I just wonder how effective it will be in promoting 3D Touch. I just might head over to SF to see how Apple turns the tables into iPhone sales.

• Reply 25 of 25
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mac fan wrote: »
    In point of fact, it is a gimmick. 

noun
    <span style="color:rgb(102,102,102);display:block;float:left;padding-right:5px;">1.</span>

an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, especially one designed to attract attention or increase appeal.
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gimmick</span>

The vast majority of marketing is based on gimmicks. A gimmick by definition is neither good or bad. Marketing on the other hand, is a matter of context and intent.

This particular device imparts no real information to "the rest of us", the non-geeks. Touch a 3D Touch screen and a ripple moves on the iPhone and table, but the fish just disappears. Ok. What is the typical 90% of the 90% take away from that. No doubt Apple hopes people will ask a sales associate "What's this mean??" Or the customer will go "Huh" or "Cool!" and walk away. Kids will love it.

It is a cool gimmick. Like I said, I'd like a coffee table that did that (without the need of an iPhone). I just wonder how effective it will be in promoting 3D Touch. I just might head over to SF to see how Apple turns the tables into iPhone sales.

I agree. I keep seeing that Commercial that shows all the ways 3D Touch works, with the snarky announcer saying "so, that's what's new" at the end, seemingly countering the perception that there's not much the 6S brings to the table warranting an upgrade. While I certainly recognize the value of those features, I'm left underwhelmed as a selling point. And I don't really understand why Apple is making this a selling point. The iPhone does, and always has done so many cool things, but this strikes me not so much as a must have feature but the kind of interaction one would expect from an evolving iPhone. So for a whole commercial that talks about "peeks" and "pops", and nothing else, then states "that's what's new", seems like it's making too much out of one minor selling point for most people, and skipping over everything else the phone can do, sort of emphasizing that there is nothing else new.