Apple activates Quality Program for Retina MacBook Pro screen coating issue

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited October 2015
According to a report on Saturday, Apple recently instated a quality program to deal with an issue relating to Retina MacBook Pro antireflective coatings, a problem that some owners claim causes irreparable damage to their laptop screen.

Under the initiative's terms Apple will replace display assemblies on affected Retina display-toting MacBook models free of charge, reports MacRumors. The program, which will not be publicly announced, is effective for one year from Oct. 16, 2015, or within three years of original purchase, whichever offers longer coverage.

AppleInsider confirmed with Apple staff that a repair and replacement program is indeed underway, though exact criteria for screen replacement eligibility could not be verified.

A handful of Retina MacBook Pro owners first reported screen "staining" earlier this year, saying the problem presents itself as splotches, streaks or other surface anomalies. While an exact cause is unknown, some speculate high humidity, over cleaning, faulty coating application and other environmental effects are to blame.

Looking at pictures of damaged screens, it appears as though "staining" often crops up in areas frequently exposed to a user's fingers, though other examples exist where the entire display surface is covered in unsightly blemishes.

It is unclear how many MacBooks are impacted, though webpages like Staingate.org and a related Facebook community have been chronicling the issue for months. A Change.org petition, started eight months ago to grab Apple's attention, is nearly at 5,000 signatures.

Those affected by "staingate" symptoms can take their MacBook in to an Apple retail store or Authorized Service Provider for evaluation. Alternatively, customers can start the process by contacting Apple support via phone, email or chat.

Apple activates repair and replacement programs from time to time when it finds products not performing to company standards, the most recent being an iPhone 6 Plus camera repair initiative in August.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    I am so tired of the labeling every issue as (something)-Gate.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Aybara View Post

Hatergate.

• Reply 3 of 33
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    aybara wrote: »

I couldn't agree more. It's a country-wide I-can't-think-of-anything-clever-to-say-gate!
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Glad to see them own up to this without a class action being brought. That's good service.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    There is a class action suit that started in Cal.and it's getting bigger.
  • Reply 6 of 33

It only took 4 years for Apple to admit the problem that started in 2011.

As far as the CAsuit, that is getting bigger each day.

• Reply 7 of 33

The latest problem is the severe overheating problems on the 6, which they haven't even addressed yet.

• Reply 8 of 33

Just for you, the new version will be i-(something)-gate!

• Reply 9 of 33
    Happy this isn't affecting my machine.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Funny, I just brought my retina MacBook Pro in 2 days ago for an unrelated problem to my local Aplple store, and I pointed out the "stain" I have as well. It's not a big one, only near the bezel by the camera, and the Genius Bar guy said straight up its a delamination issue. I believed him as he said it like he knew what he was talking about.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Standard procedure for Apple it seems.
    I recall this at the start with deny, deny deny happening, and unfortunate owners getting the usual very agressive blame.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Glad to see them own up to this without a class action being brought. That's good service.

Quote:

The program, which will not be publicly announced, is effective for one year from Oct. 16, 2015, or within three years of original purchase, whichever offers longer coverage.

AppleInsider confirmed with Apple staff that a repair and replacement program is indeed underway, though exact criteria for screen replacement eligibility could not be verified.

that doesn't sound like good service. It sounds more like doing the least to address it.

• Reply 13 of 33
    4oh44oh4 Posts: 1member
    Had this happen to my late 2013 15" MacBook Pro in February. Went in show them and the replaced the screen in an afternoon...
  • Reply 14 of 33
    appexappex Posts: 687member

Apple should switch to matte displays for ALL devices (Mac and iOS). At least as an option. End of problem.

• Reply 15 of 33

As much as I find Apple should react more aggressively when there is an obvious issue with one of their devices (water-cooling Macs, iPhone 4 antenna, MBP graphics card issues... they all denied these until it became intenable), a change.org petition? Seriously?

"I, owner of a computer priced over 2000 dollars, and therefore clearly a minority, am being treaded upon by the mighty Apple"? It really feels ridiculously out of whack with reality in a world where minority kids get shot in a world power, and IS roams free and rapes women in the Middle East.

Just my 2 cents.

• Reply 16 of 33
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Excellent news! Mine doesn't look awful but it's definitely been damaged.

• Reply 17 of 33
    appex wrote: »
    Apple should switch to matte displays for ALL devices (Mac and iOS). At least as an option. End of problem.

Totally, I have purchased anti glare matte screen covers for both my MacBook Pro and iPhone that I got this year. Installed them before even turning on the devices.. best thing I ever did, so much better to look at, less eye strain and easier to clean.

In particular this is the first time I've had an iPhone with NO fingerprints and weird oily smears.. one wipe and done. I wish I had considered matte for iPhone before.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    I brought my MBP (a 8Gb mid 2012 model) in to the Genius bar to address this coating issue 6 months ago. It was still under AppleCare. They sent it in for repair. It returned a few days later with a new lid assembly and screen, a new logic board with 16Gb of RAM, a new battery, a new keyboard, a new track pad and lower case assembly. About the only thing from the original MBP was my data. Incredible service Apple.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nouser View Post

I brought my MBP (a 8Gb mid 2012 model) in to the Genius bar to address this coating issue 6 months ago. It was still under AppleCare. They sent it in for repair. It returned a few days later with a new lid assembly and screen, a new logic board with 16Gb of RAM, a new battery, a new keyboard, a new track pad and lower case assembly. About the only thing from the original MBP was my data. Incredible service Apple.

I find AppleCare a most sensible buy on every Mac I've ever had.

• Reply 20 of 33
    Truth to be told...Apple has an amazing service most times!
    Depends on staff.
    If you get a nice person at Genius, they'll do everything possible to help and many times replace at no charge.
    If you get a bitchy one...leave and go to another store or ask for the manager.
    Love Apple most times!!!