Wall Street expects $51B in revenue, record 47.8M iPhone sales from Apple's Sept. quarter

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37

AAPL end-of-day today:  $119

Nice.

• Reply 22 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slprescott View Post

AAPL end-of-day today:  $119

Nice.

Up close to $9 over the past week is OK, but come on..! AAPL has been driven into a ditch up to now due to absolutely nothing.

• Reply 23 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Up close to $9 over the past week is OK, but come on..! AAPL has been driven into a ditch up to now due to absolutely nothing.

Agreed.  I'm just hoping this week has not been Part-1 of the typical "Pump & Dump" scenario... i.e,. price plummets next Tuesday night.

• Reply 24 of 37
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    slprescott wrote: »
    Agreed.  I'm just hoping this week has not been Part-1 of the typical "Pump & Dump" scenario... i.e,. price plummets next Tuesday night.

You can always play along. Sell now and buy back after Tuesday.

If you can beat them, join them.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I saw on Philip Elmer Dewitt's blog that the consensus estimate is $1.88 EPS but apparently the "whisper" number is $1.99. Where is that number coming from, especially considering this is Apple's weakest quarter seasonally? Is this another case of Wall Street analysts upping expectations at the last minute, expectations that Apple can't possibly meet? The stock was up 7% this week so I'm sure someone will use that as a reason for selling off next week.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    satchmo wrote: »
    You can always play along. Sell now and buy back after Tuesday.

If you can beat them, join them.

As retail investors and fans of Apple, we like to see the news that Apple has yet again beaten its own guidance - and the bigger the beat, the bigger the headline - but that's really not the ideal situation. The ideal situation would be for Apple to consistently, quarter after quarter, have their performance exactly match the guidance they released from the previous quarter. That kind of consistency shows that Apple understands their business, the market, the effects of competition, the success of their various marketing strategies and that it is all predictable and understandable (at least to Apple themselves). Misses and beats detract from investor confidence and gives strength to negative rumors that Apple doesn't understand its core businesses as well as it should and It opens the door for Analysts with ridiculous predictions to be taken seriously. It's understandable once in a while to have a beat due to an unanticipated turn of events - such as a weaker than expected product release from a competitor, or a natural disaster affecting production - but the more often that Apple "nails it" with respect to producing results that match the guidance they themselves provided, the sillier these Wall Street Analysts are going to look. Analysts will no longer be able to make predictions that deviate greatly from Apple's own guidance without destroying any shred of credibility they have left. This will finally decrease or eliminate their power to influence the price of the stock.

It's ridiculous today that the news headlines are written to imply a fault on Apples part when their results don't match the arbitrary targets published by an analyst - but part of the reason the Analysts have this power come from Apple's chronic tendency to provide guidance on the conservative side of the fence. I hope that going forward, Apple provides guidance that is consistently more accurate than it has been in the past and I hope that by doing so, it puts some (if not all) of these analysts out of work!
  • Reply 27 of 37
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,361member
    tenly wrote: »
    As retail investors and fans of Apple, we like to see the news that Apple has yet again beaten its own guidance - and the bigger the beat, the bigger the headline - but that's really not the ideal situation. The ideal situation would be for Apple to consistently, quarter after quarter, have their performance exactly match the guidance they released from the previous quarter. That kind of consistency shows that Apple understands their business, the market, the effects of competition, the success of their various marketing strategies and that it is all predictable and understandable (at least to Apple themselves). Misses and beats detract from investor confidence and gives strength to negative rumors that Apple doesn't understand its core businesses as well as it should
    Beating projections is a plus for stockholders. Amazon and Google both had big pops today because they performed better than analysts expected. Rather than it detracting from investor confidence it obviously did just the opposite.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Beating projections is a plus for stockholders. Amazon and Google both had big pops today because they performed better than analysts expected. Rather than it detracting from investor confidence it obviously did just the opposite.
    No argument here that it's a short term plus. But in the long term, it's better for the company and its shareholders to be consistently accurate than to consistently beat the guidance the company itself provides.
  • Reply 29 of 37

As long as the beat goes on things will be good . iPhone 7 should help out next year

• Reply 30 of 37
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,001member

Even Volkswagen is up more than Apple!

When your stock is in the toilet, the only way to go is up.

You need a new toilet, because anything in my toilet goes down, and out. :lol:
  • Reply 31 of 37
    bushman4 wrote: »
    As long as the beat goes on things will be good . iPhone 7 should help out next year

Personally I think Cook needs to do a better job telling the Apple story and presenting Apple's vision. And the story needs to be about more than the iPhone. One reason I think Wall Street undervalues Apple is the thought that someone else can build a better phone (or a good enoug phone for cheaper) and then Apple is screwed. Or that someone else will build a better mousetrap and then Apple is screwed. Honestly I'd love to see Apple take the iPhone upgrade plan on steroids. Someone on Twitter came up with a great concept.

CR8bViBU8AAKcJW.jpg

Yes, hardware is really going out on a limb but if we can lease an iPhone, why not other Apple hardware? And if Apple does go down the path of an EV that's certainly something people will be paying off over time.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,361member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Personally I think Cook needs to do a better job telling the Apple story and presenting Apple's vision.
    I don't think there's any lack of articles extolling Apple's vision. The positive articles, comments and bloggers far outweigh the negative ones IMO.

Honest question too as I don't delve in financials more than I need to for my own businesses. In what way does it affect Apple's revenue or business plans if the stock doesn't soar?
  • Reply 33 of 37
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I don't think there's any lack of articles extolling Apple's vision. The positive articles, comments and bloggers far outweigh the negative ones IMO.

Honest question too as I don't delve in financials more than I need to for my own businesses. In what way does it affect Apple's revenue or business plans if the stock doesn't soar?

Really? When's the last time you listened to a Tim Cook interview, keynote, earnings call etc. where you got a real sense of Apple's vision, aside from the boilerplate "we make products that enrich people's lives" or "only Apple can do hardware, software and services...". When Apple released the MacBook earlier this year did we really get the why this exists from Cook? With Schiller and Ive we got the what and the how; they explained that very well. But we really didn't get the why. Same thing with iPad Pro. Cook says its Apple's vision for the future of computing but he didn't really go beyond that explaining why it exists. And Schiller lately is just up on stage reading specs off slides. He does it very well but I'd love more of the thinking behind these decisions. All of these products are great and marvels of engineering. But IMO the one thing Apple misses with Steve no longer around is someone to tell the story, someone to provide the why. We get the what from Schiller and the how from Ive but the why is missing. I want more of the why from Cook.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    rogifan wrote: »
    Let me guess...Apple will have a great quarter and the stock will be flat or down the next day. And everyone will say it's about the future not past performance or they'll say the stock ran up going into earnings so not surprised it's selling off after. Meanwhile Microsoft, Google and Amazon are all up 8-10% after earnings. I think Microsoft is at a 10 year high. Why is it only with Apple that the actual numbers they report don't seem to matter? With everyone else it seems Wall Street looks at them as their best days are ahead and with Apple it's their best days are always in the rear.

Exactly. Apple will report higher profit than Google had income and it still won't be enough for Wall Street. The stock will probably be down 10% after the earnings call. Google just managed to beat expectations and the stock went up about 12%.
  • Reply 35 of 37

It's ludicrous that Apple is expected to grow iphone units by 20%, earnings and revenues by 25-30% in the current quarter and the overall sentiment is that the stock will go lower.  I think the market cap is close to what it was 3 years ago and the big boys are supposedly biting their nails over an iphone number.   I think I heard a pundit on CNBC say Apple better get it right on Tuesday!  

• Reply 36 of 37
    rumormill wrote: »
    It's ludicrous that Apple is expected to grow iphone units by 20%, earnings and revenues by 25-30% in the current quarter and the overall sentiment is that the stock will go lower.  I think the market cap is close to what it was 3 years ago and the big boys are supposedly biting their nails over an iphone number.   I think I heard a pundit on CNBC say Apple better get it right on Tuesday!  

Ignore everything on CNBC. You'll be happier.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Really? When's the last time you listened to a Tim Cook interview, keynote, earnings call etc. where you got a real sense of Apple's vision, aside from the boilerplate "we make products that enrich people's lives" or "only Apple can do hardware, software and services...". When Apple released the MacBook earlier this year did we really get the why this exists from Cook? With Schiller and Ive we got the what and the how; they explained that very well. But we really didn't get the why. Same thing with iPad Pro. Cook says its Apple's vision for the future of computing but he didn't really go beyond that explaining why it exists. And Schiller lately is just up on stage reading specs off slides. He does it very well but I'd love more of the thinking behind these decisions. All of these products are great and marvels of engineering. But IMO the one thing Apple misses with Steve no longer around is someone to tell the story, someone to provide the why. We get the what from Schiller and the how from Ive but the why is missing. I want more of the why from Cook.

You won't ever get anything but that.  To say anything might be extrapolated into a "new course for Apple" and the stock would really sink.

IMHO you don't want to know the truth about the vision, because it was lost.  

Ive is a hack anymore and I don't think he seeded the design area with enough people who will challenge him or anyone else.  

Schiller just seems lost, it appears he is surprised by things on the slides he reads.  

Eddy Cue seems too busy enjoying the hang out time with celebs to be bothered with anything.

Craig Federighi has let more bugs slip out than anyone would like to see.

All of the hardware team is pretty much putting things together in a paint-by-profit-margin way with no inspiration, no challenges.  The same could be said about software I guess...

You have a pretty flat, pleased with themselves, top end of a company and you think things are going to continually get better?  There is no pressure to get better and people who trade in volume know it.  So they treat AAPL like they do with every other flat/content company's stock.  It's not manipulation targeted solely on AAPL.