Apple enlists A-lister Jamie Foxx, NBA star Steph Curry to tout iPhone 6s

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    foggyhill wrote: »
    The funny thing was that it obviously referenced will smith's horrible movie wild wild west. Scifi westerns are rarely good

Wild Wild West technically did include "fictional science" by making some steam-powered machines that simply aren't possible, but there are much better examples of sic-fi westerns, some good, some bad. Serenity good; Cowboys and Aliens bad. Then you have innumerable books, which makes sense, especially when dealing with space since it's a new, open, and often lawless frontier simply because of its vastness, like the Old West before it was settled. I guess he could have been making a crack at the Will Smith movie (was he offered the role), or maybe he really is considering some new role, or maybe it just sounded best for the ad.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    mac_128 wrote: »
    jaayco wrote: »
    I love how the camera ad takes on the "it's the same phone as last year crowd" head-on. Sure it's the same phone... except {put all these really cool and or useful features here}
    I don't think that's a good ad strategy personally. Anybody remember the "welcome to the PC business" ad Steve Jobs put in the newspapers to welcome IBMs first PC?

It might be more effective if the camera ad actually demonstrated these really cool things, but I know what the phone does, and by looking at the commercial, it looks more or less like last year's phone. Live Photos in particular looked like the same old movies, instead of something new and exciting. And 4K video means absolutely nothing to someone who doesn't understand what that is or why they need it. And my phone already has slo-mo, how is this different, etc. So it's an ad with a snarky attitude that suggests it has all these new things, but fails to showcase them effectively to back up the premise.

I'm sure it will sell phones, just not sure it's going to compel anybody who has 6 to upgrade.

I never thought iPhone 6 owners were the target audience of the ads. Apple was just using the ad to tell the public that the lack of a case change didn't mean there wasn't a hella lot of changes to the iPhone inside. Apple's ads have effectively communicated enough to blunt anything Samsung was saying, without even mentioning them.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    jaayco wrote: »
    I love how the camera ad takes on the "it's the same phone as last year crowd" head-on. Sure it's the same phone... except {put all these really cool and or useful features here}
    I don't think that's a good ad strategy personally. Anybody remember the "welcome to the PC business" ad Steve Jobs put in the newspapers to welcome IBMs first PC?

It might be more effective if the camera ad actually demonstrated these really cool things, but I know what the phone does, and by looking at the commercial, it looks more or less like last year's phone. Live Photos in particular looked like the same old movies, instead of something new and exciting. And 4K video means absolutely nothing to someone who doesn't understand what that is or why they need it. And my phone already has slo-mo, how is this different, etc. So it's an ad with a snarky attitude that suggests it has all these new things, but fails to showcase them effectively to back up the premise.

I'm sure it will sell phones, just not sure it's going to compel anybody who has 6 to upgrade.

I never thought iPhone 6 owners were the target audience of the ads. Apple was just using the ad to tell the public that the lack of a case change didn't mean there wasn't a hella lot of changes to the iPhone inside. Apple's ads have effectively communicated enough to blunt anything Samsung was saying, without even mentioning them.

You make zero sense. iPhone 6 owners is exactly whom they'd be addressing if Apple is pointing out the lack of case change means that the iPhone 6s isn't different on the inside.