Separating fact from fiction in Aaron Sorkin's 'Steve Jobs' film

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    I believe that this Jobs film is a tragedy: Not because it takes liberties with fact, but because it obscures a story that must be told.

It%u2019s easy to (and many have) cherrypick interesting bits of Steve Jobs' life and spin a convenient narrative, but when you connect the dots (as he would say) a single vector becomes apparent. Steve recognized that personal computing had the potential to amplify human ability in an unprecedented way, and he committed himself to ensuring that this potential was realized. Everything else was secondary.

For those who are interested, the following three videos capture moments which highlight his vision, and, together, show that his path wasn%u2019t accidental.

1980 - Sets out vision: %u201COur whole philosophical base is founded on one principle"

1985 - Educational Tools: Free Intellectual Energy

1995 - Looking Forward, Looking back: NEXT
    -30:00: Apple %u201CHumanistic Innovation"
    -41:00: How Apple went astray
    -47:00: Education Legislation

Jobs defied convention, challenged executives and lawmakers, even bent the %u201CLaws%u201D of economics, all to realize his singular vision.

Today everyone has a supercomputer in their pocket. We take this for granted, but it%u2019s important to realize that there was never a guarantee that we would get here. Steve Jobs recognized from the start that we could, and he dedicated his life to making sure that we did.

This is the Steve Jobs story that needs to be remembered, even if it never makes it to the silver screen.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I'm shocked that the Woz was willing to have anything to do with this movie.  It made me lose whatever respect I once had for him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Woz got paid $250,000 to consult on the movie.

After making millions at Apple its shocking he was willing to put a stamp of approval on a film that puked on his 'friends' legacy.

Wozniak was consulted for the film (before it was filmed). He never saw it as it was being made, and didn't know the tenor of it. I posted this link in the other "Steve Jobs" movie story, but this is an interesting interview with Woz:

https://screen.yahoo.com/popular/steve-wozniak-separates-fact-fiction-225820691.html

He loved the movie as an artistic production, but then says it's totally not true, and expands more on that. I had thought of Woz negatively, but after seeing this interview I got to like him. He's not dogmatic, not political, not corporate, and doesn't think negatively about Jobs or anyone else (contrary to how he's usually portrayed, as Jobs's victim).

• Reply 23 of 29
    Apple fans looking for a more upbeat take on Steve Jobs might enjoy Eve's Hungry, where Steve Jobs is portrayed as a sci-fi ninja action hero:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VTQ9D0M?*Version*=1&*entries*=0
  • Reply 24 of 29
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Dunross View Post

I believe that this Jobs film is a tragedy: Not because it takes liberties with fact, but because it obscures a story that must be told.

It%u2019s easy to (and many have) cherrypick interesting bits of Steve Jobs' life and spin a convenient narrative, but when you connect the dots (as he would say) a single vector becomes apparent. Steve recognized that personal computing had the potential to amplify human ability in an unprecedented way, and he committed himself to ensuring that this potential was realized. Everything else was secondary.

For those who are interested, the following three videos capture moments which highlight his vision, and, together, show that his path wasn%u2019t accidental.

1980 - Sets out vision: %u201COur whole philosophical base is founded on one principle"

1985 - Educational Tools: Free Intellectual Energy

1995 - Looking Forward, Looking back: NEXT

-30:00: Apple %u201CHumanistic Innovation"

-41:00: How Apple went astray

-47:00: Education Legislation

Jobs defied convention, challenged executives and lawmakers, even bent the %u201CLaws%u201D of economics, all to realize his singular vision.

Today everyone has a supercomputer in their pocket. We take this for granted, but it%u2019s important to realize that there was never a guarantee that we would get here. Steve Jobs recognized from the start that we could, and he dedicated his life to making sure that we did.

This is the Steve Jobs story that needs to be remembered, even if it never makes it to the silver screen.

Welcome to AI, Terry.

FWIW, your "copy/paste" post would seem a lot less "copy/paste" if you fixed the Unicode characters, specifically the typographic (open/close) quotation marks and typographic apostrophes, etc. highlighted in red.

• Reply 25 of 29

Nice to be here. Thanks for the pointer about formatting. I was horrified when I first posted it haha. That's what I get for using Notes...

• Reply 26 of 29
    Respect to all opinions that came before. But...

I was mesmerized and thought this movie was absolutely brilliant. My lack of factual knowledge prior to watching no doubt gave me license to buy in. But even so, and even after reading all the facts and attacks, I'm still left in awe of Boyle and Sorkin.

This article makes me feel grateful I knew as little as I did about Steve Jobs. I watched it through a lens of 0% skepticism, 100% ignorance. Bliss indeed.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I'm shocked that the Woz was willing to have anything to do with this movie.  It made me lose whatever respect I once had for him.

I lost respect for Woz a long, long time ago- around the time he started bashing Apple and constantly shilling for Android. 

• Reply 28 of 29
    Looked pretty much like an "anti-steve jobs" PR ad. His involvement with Lucas and what would become Pixar was almost if not completely overlooked.