New York investigates claims that Verizon, TWC & Cablevision fail to deliver promised Internet speed

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    melgross wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I work for Verizon in NYC, and can tell you from first hand knowledge that it is nowhere near mostly done.

Verizon's rates (at least in NY) are regulated by the Public Service Commission, or PSC. In order to get approval for a rate increase they have to show justification. Verizon was able to get rate increases under the pretense that they would use it to fund the FiOS build out. They raised the rates of 100% of their customers, and have only build the FiOS out to much less than half of them. The majority is subsidizing the minority.

http://www1.nyc.gov/office-of-the-mayor/news/415-15/de-blasio-administration-releases-audit-report-verizon-s-citywide-fios-implementation

Having just read the audit and the reply, I can say that it's unclear as to who is in the right. Both sides make points that are contradictory. I do agree with Verizon that the audit was proceeded with with an intention of finding Verizon in the wrong.

I can't find, from this, that any case stating that the work is mostly done is incorrect. A difference between signing up customers and laying the fiber are two differing situations. What I see is that both Verizon and the city are at fault here.

Verizon should've never promised something they fully knew was impossible to deliver. So they're at fault.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

Verizon should've never promised something they fully knew was impossible to deliver. So they're at fault.

The first one is very cute, but I'd have preferred to see the entire hearing, as this sound bite tells us little. The second is just an Ad, and so means nothing. Everyone I know who has has FIOS installed in their neighborhood has been able to get it except for those in buildings where the co-op boards have refused Verizon, according to my friends living in those buildings.

I'm not denying that they are through with their buildout. But they have done most of it. I'm seeing no evidence of anything different. I'm also sure that there are still areas without if for various reasons. You've shown nothing that contradicts what I've said about them doing most of it. Most of it doesn't mean all of it, and all we know from what you've shown so far is that there are places where it's not available yet.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't know what you are asking in the first sentence.

NYC is mostly finished.

I don't think so.   I live in Forest Hills and Verizon says FIOS is not available here.   And my mother's high-rise building is near Coney Island and they can't get FIOS either (and it's not the condo Board preventing it).

As far as I've heard, Verizon stopped building out some time ago as it was too costly for them.   

Even though I'd like higher speeds, I'm not sure that I'd switch anyway.

• Reply 44 of 48
    zoetmb wrote: »
    I don't know what you are asking in the first sentence.

NYC is mostly finished.

I don't think so.   I live in Forest Hills and Verizon says FIOS is not available here.   And my mother's high-rise building is near Coney Island and they can't get FIOS either (and it's not the condo Board preventing it).

As far as I've heard, Verizon stopped building out some time ago as it was too costly for them.   

They're just not going to build it anywhere that they haven't started already. You'll get it eventually, and so will your mother.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

I live in Forest Hills, and most of it has FIOS available. They finished my neighborhood last November. They fed my house from a drop about a block away.
  • Reply 46 of 48

I live in Forest Hills, and most of it has FIOS available. They finished my neighborhood last November. They fed my house from a drop about a block away.

Then you got a non-conventional install. There's no way you should have to get fed from a block away.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Then you got a non-conventional install. There's no way you should have to get fed from a block away.
    A distribution box might include a dozen cables to feed a block of homes. He'd still need a housing in front of his property to connect to it and then on to the inside AFAIK. You two may be talking about different parts of the same thing.
  • Reply 48 of 48

that's about average(sometimes its better, sometimes worse) for me at the moment but im due for a free upgrade to upto 150Mb/s