Beats Pill+ speaker goes on sale early alongside new Solo2 'Luxe Edition' colors

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2015
Apple on Monday launched its Beats Pill+ Bluetooth speaker several days ahead of schedule, debuting it in tandem with new "Luxe Edition" colors for its wired Solo2 headphones.

Announced earlier this month, the Pill+ was originally slated to go on sale in early November. It's not known why Apple chose to move up the date, though it may have wanted the introduction to coincide with the updated Solo2 options.

The Pill+ is available in black or white, and costs $230. Although it promises a 12-hour battery life, and a "bigger and fuller" sound than the original Pill, its most significant feature may be a Lightning port, which -- in combination with recent Mac peripherals -- reflects Apple's move to spread Lightning beyond iOS.

The speaker can be used to charge iPhones and other devices, and has companion iOS and Android apps with options like doubling up speakers, downloading software updates, or letting two people control music simultaneously.

The Luxe Edition of the Solo2 comes in blue, silver, black, or red. Features are otherwise unchanged on the headphones, which cost $200.

Both products are shipping as soon as Tuesday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I just don't get these expensive Bluetooth speakers. For about the same price you can have a decent stereo system that will sound infinitely better.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I wonder if the Beats Wireless will move to Lightning for charging.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I am not sure why some do not get a high quality bluetooth speaker...These are great for around the house, outdoors and at the beach. We also use them at Basketball practice often. More of a convenience thing. I have also found they are simple and effective for use in offices. One main draw is the simplicity for connecting with phone/ipad and/or computer. Buy a stereo system and you are stuck in one room or multiple rooms and the complexity goes up a notch. I am also not sure what great stereo set up you would get for $200 bucks...I have a mediocre home theater set up and the sound cost about $3,000. It is good stuff (Kipsch) but now where near high end.

On the lightning comment I hope so but more than likely they will stay with usb.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

I am not sure why some do not get a high quality bluetooth speaker...These are great for around the house, outdoors and at the beach. We also use them at Basketball practice often. More of a convenience thing. I have also found they are simple and effective for use in offices. One main draw is the simplicity for connecting with phone/ipad and/or computer. Buy a stereo system and you are stuck in one room or multiple rooms and the complexity goes up a notch. I am also not sure what great stereo set up you would get for $200 bucks...I have a mediocre home theater set up and the sound cost about $3,000. It is good stuff (Kipsch) but now where near high end.

On the lightning comment I hope so but more than likely they will stay with usb.

When has Klipsch ever been good stuff? It sounds like you way overpaid for a brand name.

Also, it's not like used audio equipment is crap, you'd be amazed at how cheaply you can get a quality setup.

• Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

When has Klipsch ever been good stuff? It sounds like you way overpaid for a brand name.

Also, it's not like used audio equipment is crap, you'd be amazed at how cheaply you can get a quality setup.

Kitsch is good stuff.  As I stated it is by no means high end.  I have a $800 receiver, 2 tower fronts, 12" powered sub, center, and 2 sets of rear for 7.1  I paid retail but by no means overpaid.  I do not buy used as you are suggesting so obviously yes you can get stuff cheaper but not an awesome system for $200 bucks.