Apple earns record $51.5B revenue on sales of 48M iPhones, 5.7M Macs

Comments

• Reply 41 of 183
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    No sales figures for ?TV. My guess is Apple will treat new products this way and not provide sales figures.
  • Reply 42 of 183
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Other catergory which is mostly Watch went from $2.6 billion to $5.0 billion this quarter.

THEY SOLD A TON OF WATCHES THIS QUARTER.
    They reported $3.04 billion in revenue, up from $2.6 billion in the prior quarter.
  • Reply 43 of 183
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    they are so doomed. so doomed. does the iphone have an hdmi port?? no!
  • Reply 44 of 183
    Or they read the tea leaves and figure that everyone who will buy an iPhone6[+] form factor has already... and growth will now flatten out, or be at the low end (5s replacing all the 4s' and 5s out there... because the size is the size people want)

There's still a large install base not upgraded to 6 or 6S. I have a hard time believing all those people aren't upgrading because they want a 4" phone. If that was the case Android sales would be in the toilet as there are very few Android phone under 5".
  • Reply 45 of 183
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Is this sarcasm or trolling?

Sarcasm, I'm sure.

• Reply 46 of 183

Incidentally, anyone wanting to listen to the call can "tune in" here:

http://www.apple.com/investor/earnings-call/

• Reply 47 of 183
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

Maestri says that sales would have been 7% higher but for currency winds.

• Reply 48 of 183
    gatorguy wrote: »
    They reported $3.04 billion in revenue, up from $2.6 billion in the prior quarter.

And those numbers are pretty meaningless as we don't know the components.
  • Reply 49 of 183
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    melgross wrote: »
    Maestri says that sales would have been 7% higher but for currency winds.
    That's been echoed by the other techs reporting in the past week. Exchange rates are having some impact.
  • Reply 50 of 183
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    shahhet2 wrote: »
    It's low in growth for quarter over quarter I guess.
    1)If you see, last quarter, Apple sold 47.54 million iPhones vs this quarter it is 48 million even considering 99% growth in China.
    Note that this quarter, there was new iPhone release (though only for few days)
    2)Comparing same for last years two quarters, it sold 39.27 million iPhones compared to 35.2 million smartphones.
    3)Add that to dropped sale  of iPads from 12.32 million to 9.88 million iPads.

As far as stock is not down, I am happy camper.
    Hopefully We will see revenue growth from non iPhone segments from upcoming quarter. 

Most important though is guidance for next quarter is showing around 4% growth, which may be new norm as far as iPhones sales are concerned.
    Now growth has to come from other categories for share price to change drastically.

Can't compare consecutive quarters. Apples business doesn't run that way.

But any day now, growth will stall and sales will plummet. Any day now. Just wait and see. /s
  • Reply 51 of 183
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I think Apple has a good idea as to what sales will be. They won't beat the Samsung Chaebol sales numbers, which are much larger.

Much larger? Last year Samsung Group had revenues of $304 billion, and have been on the decline. Apple is at $234 billion and climbing. And Samsung Electronics revenues account for 2/3 of Samsung Group, so any drops by them have a significant impact on Samsung overall.

Years ago people said Apple would never catch Samsung Electronics (which they have easily passed). It's not too much of a stretch to see Apple approaching Samsung Group in a year.

• Reply 52 of 183
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Well we know it wasn't Apple TV or iPod. I guess you would have to speculate on how many Beats headphones they sold.

• Reply 53 of 183
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Much larger? Last year Samsung Group had revenues of $304 billion, and have been on the decline. Apple is at $234 billion and climbing. And Samsung Electronics revenues account for 2/3 of Samsung Group, so any drops by them have a significant impact on Samsung overall.

Years ago people said Apple would never catch Samsung Electronics (which they have easily passed). It's not too much of a stretch to see Apple approaching Samsung Group in a year.

Yes, that's much larger. Unfortunately, Apple wont get to that next year. If they have 10% growth, they will hit about $259 billion.

• Reply 54 of 183
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    rogifan wrote: »
    No sales figures for ?TV. My guess is Apple will treat new products this way and not provide sales figures.

The old AppleTV? They've never reported numbers for that. The new one they said has started strong but is in this next quarter obviously, it's not even in stores yet so what's there to report?
  • Reply 55 of 183
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Of course we do. While we don't know the specifics, do you really think the new iPods, the ?TV 3 with a new model coming, and 6 million Apple Music subscribers make up a lion's share of that category? 

Most of those sales are ?Watch sales, as not has else has changed since the 3rd and 4th quarters a year ago, so what's driving that 1% growth?

• Reply 56 of 183
    jungmark wrote: »
    Can't compare consecutive quarters. Apples business doesn't run that way.

But any day now, growth will stall and sales will plummet. Any day now. Just wait and see. /s

People are comparing Q3/4 change from last year to Q3/4 change this year. Even still I believe last year more 6's were counted in Q4 than 6S's were counted in Q4 this year so not comparable really.
  • Reply 57 of 183
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Well we know it wasn't Apple TV or iPod. I guess you would have to speculate on how many Beats headphones they sold.

LOL. Yes I'm sure Beats is single handedly driving the growth of the Other category! Old ?TVs, and the dying iPod line.

• Reply 58 of 183
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

LOL. Yes I'm sure Beats is single handedly driving the growth of the Other category!

I wish people would stop knocking Beats/ Last year they had $1.3 billion in headphone sales, more than the rest of the headphone industry combined, and about $300 million profit on those sales.

• Reply 59 of 183
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

and 6 million Apple Music subscribers make up a lion's share of that category? 

Isn't Apple Music in the Services category?

• Reply 60 of 183

Cook states that their guidence is really 8-10%